After 17 years they're back! Cicadas

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #11  
Brood II is due here soon ... still quiet.

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #12  
Remove the legs and wings and then saute them in butter and lemon.
They are suppose to be a bit crunchy with a soft center.

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #13  
Took these photos of emerging 17-year cicadas on Sunday - it was very windy, so a couple of them aren't the best. The news says they are part of a brood that is hatching in the east from Conn. down to the Carolinas after 17 years underground. I still remember the damage they did to the trees 17 years ago after laying their eggs. Maybe last night's late season frost took out some of them. The last photo shows one drying its wings.

I started seeing these at my house in Beaverdam on Friday night. An unusually high percentage of them seemed to be coming out with deformed wings. I also thought it was strange that none of them were buzzing yet. I'm very interested to see how the fish in my pond react to the bonanza of insect food.

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #14  
Took these photos of emerging 17-year cicadas on Sunday - it was very windy, so a couple of them aren't the best. The news says they are part of a brood that is hatching in the east from Conn. down to the Carolinas after 17 years underground. I still remember the damage they did to the trees 17 years ago after laying their eggs. Maybe last night's late season frost took out some of them. The last photo shows one drying its wings.

View attachment 317745View attachment 317746View attachment 317747View attachment 317748View attachment 317749.

I'd be curious to know how they damaged the trees?
Most experts say they are beneficial.
Will the 17-Year Cicadas Damage My Trees?

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas
I'd be curious to know how they damaged the trees?
Most experts say they are beneficial.
Will the 17-Year Cicadas Damage My Trees?

I don't remember them killing any of my trees, but they can mess them up. The females lay their eggs into the smaller stems of the branches of trees. Since this kills these branches, the big trees turn brown on their periphery but survive just fine. The branch stems later fall off. But smaller trees, especially some of the fruit trees, take a real beating like a really bad prune job.

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #16  
Remove the legs and wings and then saute them in butter and lemon.
They are suppose to be a bit crunchy with a soft center.

Cicadas: They're not just for breakfast any more. Yum!

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas
I don't think that I'm going to cook any, but when I took my lab retriever out this morning, I noticed her standing at the base of a large maple seeming to lick the ground for a long time. On closer inspection there were piles of empty cicada shells/cases and she was devouring them. The birds are hitting them hard, too...lots of wings laying around. I'm going to see how the smallmouth bass like them this afternoon.

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #18  
I don't think that I'm going to cook any, but when I took my lab retriever out this morning, I noticed her standing at the base of a large maple seeming to lick the ground for a long time. On closer inspection there were piles of empty cicada shells/cases and she was devouring them. The birds are hitting them hard, too...lots of wings laying around. I'm going to see how the smallmouth bass like them this afternoon.

Last time this happened I was living in PA.....the largemouth LOVED them! Tons of action on the surface and they could not resist!

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #19  
Back around the turn of the century, before we had land and kids, I had something that is now a distant dream, spare time. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing: I used to kayak on a large lake at least once a week and put in some serious miles out there. One year the Circadas were hatching and I was in a part of the lake that was almost completely land locked and fairly confined. The NOISE of those bugs was unreal and something I will never forget. I just stopped paddling and sat in the middle of this part of the lake and listened to the noise. Pretty awesome.

Later,
Dan

/ After 17 years they're back! Cicadas #20