Ag Lime Spreader?

/ Ag Lime Spreader? #13  
A pull type drop spreader work like a EZee Flow, John Deere or other brands. I have a 10' EZee Flow drop spreader and a 4' one too and they both work with AG Lime.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/316495-mccormick-no-7-6-foot.html

This is what you want and is the only thing that will work. You will burn up a spin cheaper in short order since lime is so compacted.

A better idea is to have the company that sells the lime spread it for you. It's usually pretty cheap and faster than you can imagine.

/ Ag Lime Spreader? #14  
Everything I read about pell lime vs ag lime is that pelletized lime needs to be added yearly whereas ag lime will last longer.

I don't think that is true. You need to soil test to be certain what your needs are. Been doing this a long time and have been where you are right now. The equipment to spread ag lime is very $$$ and finding someone or a service to come spread it for you for a small amount of land is near impossible. I was able to get them to do it once, but that was it and wasn't worth the hassle. I was spreading fertilizer anyway, so I could just add bulk pelletized lime when my soil test called for it. Easy, convenient, and cheap. What more can you ask for?

/ Ag Lime Spreader?
This is what you want and is the only thing that will work. You will burn up a spin cheaper in short order since lime is so compacted.

A better idea is to have the company that sells the lime spread it for you. It's usually pretty cheap and faster than you can imagine.

None of the lime suppliers in my area do custom spreading and they don’t have lime buggies to rent. One private guy does all the spreading, but uses a truck and it’s too wide to get through my trails to my food plots.

/ Ag Lime Spreader?
I don't think that is true. You need to soil test to be certain what your needs are. Been doing this a long time and have been where you are right now. The equipment to spread ag lime is very $$$ and finding someone or a service to come spread it for you for a small amount of land is near impossible. I was able to get them to do it once, but that was it and wasn't worth the hassle. I was spreading fertilizer anyway, so I could just add bulk pelletized lime when my soil test called for it. Easy, convenient, and cheap. What more can you ask for?

Already got the soil test done with my state university extension service. Agronomist recommended 3 tons per acre and then retest the following year.

/ Ag Lime Spreader? #17  
check rental places and see if any of them carry Gandy pull behind spreaders, or something similiar. It would be a lot cheaper to rent one once a year than to buy one new.
I managed to get mine when the rental place sold off their older equipment to buy newer stuff.

/ Ag Lime Spreader?
I’ll look some up. Not many rental places where I’m at. I know of one that does a lot of farm/ag equipment so I’ll call them first.

/ Ag Lime Spreader? #19  
You often see EZ FLOW lime "sowers" like that shown and they don't bring very much money. Last I saw was in good shape and went for $200. It was 8 or 10' wide.

Pelletized lime WILL spread with a spin type spreader. I use a pendulum style Vicon spreader and it works fine. I don't fill it up, just in case, but it works fine. It's powdered bulk lime that's the problem.

/ Ag Lime Spreader? #20  
Have the same problem here. Can buy the lime with the buggy, but no longer have my L3800 to pull it with. The smallest one I can get my hands on is too large to tote with my BX. I'd like a smaller one where I can still get bulk price on lime, but $5-6k for a Gandy or something similar is way too high for the $2-300 of lime I need to spread.

Will start looking for one of the EZ Flows.