Ag tires vs turf tires for pulling hay wagons.

/ Ag tires vs turf tires for pulling hay wagons. #31  
General guidelines:

If planning on finish mowing any grass you want to keep, skip the Ag tires.

If planning on pulling much of anything or driving on anything but driveways and grass, skip the turf tires.

R4's are in between. Not as good traction as Ag, but much better than turf. Doesn't tear up near as much as Ag, but moreso than turf.

I've use all 3 on various equipment and for me the R4's are a good compromise. Sometimes I spin and wish I had Ag's, but sometimes on grass, especially wet grass, I wish I had turf. Hence the *compromise*

I tried to pick what would be the most useful for my expected 80% work and be the least damaging/useless for the other 10%.

Yes, that adds up to 90%. The other 10% I didn't configure the tractor for, I just do it because it needs done and it can /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, on hard surfaces, AG tires will be much rougher but will last much longer (ie road travel). Turf tires will ride much smoother and leave few, if any, marks in the lawn (assuming 2wd mode and shallow turns), but will spin at the drop of a hat, especially as soon as you hit dirt/mud.

Again, pick the equipment for the jobs you envision.

I probably didn't help you decide, but at least gave some info and a personal preference.

PS- 4WD makes the case for R4's or Turf much stronger, but far from definitive /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-JC

/ Ag tires vs turf tires for pulling hay wagons. #32  
General guidelines:

If planning on finish mowing any grass you want to keep, skip the Ag tires.

If planning on pulling much of anything or driving on anything but driveways and grass, skip the turf tires.

R4's are in between. Not as good traction as Ag, but much better than turf. Doesn't tear up near as much as Ag, but moreso than turf.

I've use all 3 on various equipment and for me the R4's are a good compromise. Sometimes I spin and wish I had Ag's, but sometimes on grass, especially wet grass, I wish I had turf. Hence the *compromise*

I tried to pick what would be the most useful for my expected 80% work and be the least damaging/useless for the other 10%.

Yes, that adds up to 90%. The other 10% I didn't configure the tractor for, I just do it because it needs done and it can /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, on hard surfaces, AG tires will be much rougher but will last much longer (ie road travel). Turf tires will ride much smoother and leave few, if any, marks in the lawn (assuming 2wd mode and shallow turns), but will spin at the drop of a hat, especially as soon as you hit dirt/mud.

Again, pick the equipment for the jobs you envision.

I probably didn't help you decide, but at least gave some info and a personal preference.

PS- 4WD makes the case for R4's or Turf much stronger, but far from definitive /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-JC