Ags or R4's in heavy timber country

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #11  
jbrumberg said:
Boondox:

I agee with you. R-1's are good at "gooing" forward, but they do not work as well in reverse (I have been stuck a few times :().

I agree with the "directionality" of R1s. I have been told this is true of even R4s.
Bob

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #12  
I have R4's in Wisconsin soil. It goes from sand dumped by the last ice age to dern sticky bottomless clay. But then, I use chains on the rear year round. Set up loose, they help flop off the slop when in the soup. Have 400 hrs almost all in the woods, and no problems and many fewer "stucks" since going to the chains.

For me, R4's and chains work well. Still ch less traction than R1's but much better that bare R4's.

When making food plots in spring, there have been countless times when the only thing that got me out was 4x4, rear lock and dropping the rototiller to paddle my way out. It really gives a boost!

jb

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #13  
john_bud said:
When making food plots in spring, there have been countless times when the only thing that got me out was 4x4, rear lock and dropping the rototiller to paddle my way out. It really gives a boost!

jb

Another reason to get a tiller!
Bob

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #14  
I use R4's in northern Wisconsin. They seem to work fine in the woods. I like the extra width to increase the float in semi soft soil. I have been stuck in the swamps a few times. The FEL worked OK to get out. I just used my forks to lay down and move my kid's free standing deer stand and the R4's worked great to cross a muddy field with out digging in too bad.

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #15  
Well, I like them both.

I have one tractor, (Mahindra 6500), and use it working around the house, as well as in the woods.

I use loaded R1s in the winter, and unloaded R4s in the warmer months. With my FEL I have pushed over and dug up hundreds,(maybe approaching 1000), 6-20" pine trees this summer. Still digging when conditions are right.

I kept a Farmi winch, with six 50 lb. "front weights", hanging on it, on the 3 point for weight. Did OK. But then I filled the R-4s about half full with water. This made a noticible improvement in traction when lifting and pushing trees from under the roots. Once I shook the dirt off the roots and hauled the tree away, I used the fel to push the shook dirt into the depression that the tree came out of. When the soil is fairly dry, this works real good, in that there is no stump, hole, or many branches left on the ground.

The R4 footprint was hardly noticible. I know that The R1s, while giving me more traction yet, would have been leaving some ruts.

When I put my "winter tires" on, I will remove the water from the R4s.

I do most cutting in the winter, but have cut some in the summer with the unloaded R4s. Haven't have a problem. I do have a heavy tractor and try to use common sense, when I can dredge it up out of my over-used brain.;)

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #16  
Jeff M said:
I use R4's in northern Wisconsin. They seem to work fine in the woods. I like the extra width to increase the float in semi soft soil.

Onsight has a very nice Montana with R4s. When my TN70A with R1s was getting stuck near the edge of my swamp, I used his Montana do do use the same rotary cutter. Float is a very good description. The TN70A weighs near 3 tons and that conmbined with AG tires combined with soft muddy ground made for deep ruts. The R4 just floats in the same area the AG tires sank.
Bob

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #17  
johnk said:
I think it all depends what brand and ply tires you have. I have seen R1's in 4 PLY and 6 Ply............

And higher, I put Galaxy R1's on my Ford 2120 in 8 ply. No trouble in the woods either forward or reverse. And I have a lot of mud.

Andy

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #18  
Thankfully, I have 2 tractors, one with R4s, one with AGs. I have
used my R1 JD955 several times to get my R4 Kioti unstuck. Even
worse in wet conditions. Both have new tires.

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #19  
Some of the replies in this thread mentioned using the FEL to get yourself "unstuck." As a newbie, can somebody tell me how you do that?

/ Ags or R4's in heavy timber country #20  
birdseye said:
Some of the replies in this thread mentioned using the FEL to get yourself "unstuck." As a newbie, can somebody tell me how you do that?

Curl the bucket back (empty position), then lower FEL, with bucket facing down, then curl the bucket back and you will slowly push the tractor out as you back out. Others can describe it better than I have done.
Bob