air cleaner for everyone
to see if desired.

The oil bath air cleaners efficiency
is also increased a huge amount by
using a cyclone precleaner on the
intake of the oil bath air cleaner.

I will try up load it shortly

/ Air Filters??
You might want to tell Kubota they have it all wrong in their service manuals:laughing:
The BX24 workshop manual on page G-18 specifically says to blow out the filter with compressed air under 30 PSI and to replace it after every 6 cleanings:cool:
They even go on to say if oily to wash it in detergent, rinse well, dry it, and inspect it for damage.

YEP-- the L2800/L3400 has the same directions...

J

/ Air Filters??
I have a photo of an oil bath
air cleaner for everyone
to see if desired.

The oil bath air cleaners efficiency
is also increased a huge amount by
using a cyclone precleaner on the
intake of the oil bath air cleaner.

I will try up load it shortly

Oil bath...
I read somewhere NOT to do this as it will cause dirt to stick to the filter....
maybe that was for small pushmowers etc...

FYI-- I did not get that filter today....

later,
J

/ Air Filters??
TEG--- do you have and inner and an outer?

I could swear I only have a single filter...

J

/ Air Filters?? #25  
You had an oil centrifuge on the mercedes
Nope - I had a bypass filter - but it wasn't a centrifuge: it was actually a specially modified MotorGuard filter, modd'ed and setup by an old boy from down in Texas, by the name of Ralph Woods.

MotorGuard likes to sell 'em for air filtration these days (alot of folks use 'em on plasma cutters .....), now that the original founders have retired ..... the new management guys don't wanna hear about no steekin' oil filtration ....

It used a single roll of TP (toilet paper) as the filtration medium and flow was restricted by means of an orifice (.0625" IIRC), to ensure that it wasn't starving the engine of oil ....... filtered down to the sub-micron level:

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,072
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
   / Air Filters?? #26  
RadarTech,

Can't use this one...it's being too practical.
Follow me now.

/ Air Filters?? #27  

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 693
   / Air Filters?? #28  
I haven't gotten around to getting the mounting brackets and plumbing for the Spinner fabbed (it requires a 1" ID drain back to the sump/oil pan) - the Sprinter's engine compartment doesn't have alot of extra room, so it's a bit of a challenge .......

Last edited:
   / Air Filters?? #29  
I am unsure if the kubota would have the speed for the centrifuge,
Yeah ..... it's small engine and the oil pump might not have the flow .... that's why I was considering the MotorGuard with the single restriction orifice - it's about half the size (total area) of the orifices on the Spinner ..... (although the Spinner does have a built-in low pressure cut-out, that cuts off the oil flow when the oil pressure is below 15 or 20 psi)

....... I think Ralph might even have one of the MotorGuards on his garden tractor .....

I know that Racor makes or did make an oil filter for very fine filtration at one time.
I believe the Spinners were Racor's product ...... before they sold the product line to Mann-Hummel ..... ;)

Are the head race and tail race tunnels for that mess still intact?
Dunno ..... haven't been back there since I worked on it ..... what, 30 years ago ?

..... boy, that brings back some memories .... pumping 'crete for the penstock tunnels and luggin them pipes (with a snotload of 'crete still in 'em) back up the tunnel as we broke off section after section ..... :mur:

The only thing I regret is I never got to ride the chopper up to the top ..... although from what I heard, camping out in tents up on top in the middle of winter really wasn't all it was cracked up to be ....

I have forgotten about the PGE projects but was that the one with pumped hydro storage up hill after going through the turbines or gravity down hill and discharge to waste.
Yup - dump to meet peak demand during the day .... Courtright Reservoir down thru the mountain to Wishon Reservoir ..... and then reverse the turbines and pump it back up to the top for tomorrow:

Courtright Reservoir

Not exactly efficient .... but it met a need ....

the oil bath filters are the best ones and you can mount mutiple units together for engine intakes to clean the air it needs for combustion. My link for oil bath air cleaners should still be here if you search for it.
Thanks - I'll have a look - sounds like good stuff.

the oxy catalyst scrubbers we had were no match for water scrubbers with thier efficiency because the shovels had to be left idling as they leaked too much air and the PTX purifiers were no better for the same reasons- they would never clean them with an oven to temperature with a catalyst oven to burn off the residue .... the use of the high sulphur fuels with the dry scrubbers was bad because of the sulphur and it created a continuos fog no matter how hot we ran them because we never cooked the pellets to clean them nor did we use an manomometer to determine the efficiency of the purifier beds in the scrubbers. nor did they check the PTX purifiers.
Yeah ..... continuous fog .... I remember that ..... in fact, I think I still spit some of it up every now and then ..... :D

most if not all our engine issues came from low fresh air volume and poor air circulation which was always a huge issue
Yup .... huge challenges for maintaining equipment .... ;)

/ Air Filters?? #30  
BTW, I forgot to mention it .... with 960 hours on the clock, I'm on outer air filter No.2 for the B2910 ....

No. 1 was blown out with low-pressure compressed air repeatedly at various times, and washed with water and liquid dishwashing detergent at least once - probably twice, can't recall exactly .....

When I wash them out, I like to fill a bucket with soapy water so that the level comes just up to the top of the filter (but not over), when the filter is placed in the bucket vertically ... low enough so that no dirty water (and dirt particles) will come over the top and into the opening to the inside of the filter.

Agitate up and down, and side to side to taste .....

No 1. is sitting up in the shed, waiting to be washed yet one more time ....