Air Pressure in Loaded tires.

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires.
I know that these forums are represented by tractor owners and tractors of all sizes, makes and uses. I needed a small tractor with a loader, 4WD, box scrape and a rotary mower. I need a good bit of for the rotary mower because i have to mow one large area that can only be done in the fall and by then it is 4 to 5 feet tall. I chose a Kubota B3200 because it fit my requirements and I have a large dealer within 10 miles. I grew up on a farm in Indiana so I know all about large tractors but it made no sense for me to have anything bigger. My tractor has more power than weight. It also does not have a wide stance. When I bought it I decided not to have the tires loaded which was a mistake. It was recently time for my 50 service. I made a deal with them purchased pick up my tractor, do the service, return my tractor and only charge me for the parts. I ask them to load the rears while the had it. Filling the rears cost me $100. I have not had a chance to do much more than scrape my driveway but the difference is dramatic.

The point I am getting at is that different people have different needs, and obviously from this thread I started, different opinions.

Russ

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #42  
Ya I'm sure they're making the whole wide world suffer for the convenience of a few "weird" people like me. Would you like me to personally apologize for the extra time and money you had to spend filling your tires? Cause it ain't gonna happen.

I took me approx 15 minutes to drive my new tractor from the tractor dealer to the tire shop, and then the dealer picked it up from the tire dealer delivered it to my home, and it cost me around $175 for the rimguard.

I dont mind either of those costs for the added traction I get from the ballast

Plus I got 15 minutes of seat time right after I signed the deal, so as far as I am concerned, it was worth the 175 bucks for just that

:D

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #43  
Mine are filled mostly with nitrogen.

78.084% to be exact?

Funny that people are coming out and saying the whole "nitrogen in tires thing" is about as real as "global climate disruption". Nice to know I'm not on P.T. Barnums sucker list.

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #44  
I took me approx 15 minutes to drive my new tractor from the tractor dealer to the tire shop, and then the dealer picked it up from the tire dealer delivered it to my home, and it cost me around $175 for the rimguard.

I dont mind either of those costs for the added traction I get from the ballast

Plus I got 15 minutes of seat time right after I signed the deal, so as far as I am concerned, it was worth the 175 bucks for just that

Not to mention a weight boxisisis initial cost is around 300.00 for a little one, plus time invested removing whatever is on the hitch currently and then reinstalling the box. Rim Guard is a worthy investment!

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #45  
Don't forget, you have to change from summer air to winter air, and vica versa too. The overall density of the air changes due to seasonal variations, solar flare, and the secondary charge on the flux capacitor.

Y'oughta not smoke that stuff before posting, Bro...

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #46  
And just think.. since loaded tires have been in existance.. most farmers simply fill them.. leave an air space, and pressureize as normal... and nothing much bad happens... some stuff CAN be thought out just a lil too much... :)

:)

soundguy

Mace has some good points though, Soundguy. We run our car or truck tires at a higher pressure for better fuel economy, but higher pressure in a tractor tire (hence, stiffer sidewalls) can reduce traction.
Probably aren't applicable to we small property owners (lawn mowing, some brush cutting), but for an agricultural operator, a guy grading his drive or tilling a food plot; Mace's points make a lot of sense.

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #47  
As time goes along and I learn more maybe I'll change my mind but right now it just seems like a bad idea to me. Why don't they sell them filled? How much extra wear does it cause? So on and so forth.
Because it is an expense for them and should be correctly left as a choice for the user. Besides, they can conscientiously inform of the need for ballast and sell much more expensive wheel weights. ... Or, worst case, just be held harmless to the negligence of not telling the buyer of the hazzards of operating without.
larry

Last edited:
   / Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #48  
I am surprized someone hasnt brought up using nitrogen in the tires......
In tubeless I fill my tires with N2 and bleed as I add water ballast to about 90% fill. Tractor stance is then extremely stable with varying load, and in extreme circumstances can be quickly adjusted by bleeding, or adding a small amount of water with the garden hose. Lack of O2 prevents rust ...
larry

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #49  
While calculating tire deflection will get you in the ball park, one also needs to calculate tire slippage based on soil conditions combined with the impliment used. Ideally the combination of ballast and tire pressure are adjusted to give the proper slippage for conditions at hand.
Google tractor tire slippage or similar.

/ Air Pressure in Loaded tires. #50  
I just had my rears on my B3200 loaded and I was wondering what is the proper air pressure to use. It seems I read somewhere that you need to drop it below non loaded recommended because of the reduced air volume. What is your experience?

Russ

The fluid in the tire is incompressible. So just use the normal air pressure for the unloaded tire.