Airstream Project

/ Airstream Project #1  

cartod

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4066, 1023
I started restoring these things almost 20 years ago. I have kept 3 for myself and family including this newest addition. They are all three 1966's. Here is the latest Caravelle that we decided to restore backwards this time. Usually the last thing we did was buff it out. This time we had it buffed out first. Here it is after we hauled it up to the water hose to wash off the road salt. the inside is now gutted and we are preparing to lay down rubber over the original floor.

photo3_zps4af90295.jpg

/ Airstream Project #2  
Love those. Lets see some inside photos of your finished one.

/ Airstream Project #3  
Stupid ? - Is the shell aluminum? We just bought a used horse trailer with aluminum shell and are wondering if we could restore or shine it up. Could you walkout through the procedure of getting your shinny.

Thanks.

/ Airstream Project
Love those. Lets see some inside photos of your finished one.

Here is one of the 2 the 66 Safari's. They were both built at the ohio Airstream factory and are just 18 serial numbers apart.

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4861.jpg

/ Airstream Project
Stupid ? - Is the shell aluminum? We just bought a used horse trailer with aluminum shell and are wondering if we could restore or shine it up. Could you walkout through the procedure of getting your shinny.

Thanks.
Yes they are aluminum. You can shine aluminum up to look like a new dime, but you need to go with the grain of the aluminum or you will get some swirling. Its a dirty job, and we send ours out. When we started they were charging $75 a foot to buff out, now they are $200 a foot.

/ Airstream Project #6  
We bought an argosy minuet last fall. For those who don't know argosy is basically a painted version of an airstream. Technically made by airstream. Total project. Will hit you up for advice when we start our tear down.

/ Airstream Project #7  
Every now and then I run across an airstream and the thought of restoring one keeps popping up. Is there muh of a learning urve to these or is it straight nuts and bolts mechanics? Your are beautiful.

/ Airstream Project #8  
$200 a foot? A square foot, or the length of the camper? ....either way........WOW that's an expensive shine.

I bought a 20' Argosy before I retired & my wife & I lived in it while I built the shop/apt quonset hut. I really like the airstreams...very well built. Sold it to a guy from Oklahoma.

/ Airstream Project
Every now and then I run across an airstream and the thought of restoring one keeps popping up. Is there muh of a learning urve to these or is it straight nuts and bolts mechanics? Your are beautiful.
My advice on restoring one. buy a small one, the smaller the more they are worth restored. Look out for water leaks around doors and windows. Replacing the floors can get costly. Make sure the aluminum is straight, new aluminum is expensive. Not much of a learning curve on restoring, there are plenty of websites that will answer your questions. It has become harder and harder to find good old short ones for a reasonable price.

Oh, and stay away from the 1972 and above ones, they went through a period where they were spitting them out and it was quanity before quality.

/ Airstream Project
$200 a foot? A square foot, or the length of the camper? ....either way........WOW that's an expensive shine.

I bought a 20' Argosy before I retired & my wife & I lived in it while I built the shop/apt quonset hut. I really like the airstreams...very well built. Sold it to a guy from Oklahoma.
$200 a foot, the 17' caravelle was $3400.