Allis D12 Ser. III

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #1  

Charlie175

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2015 gear
I picked up a old very used Allis D12 last week, not much to look at now but I plan on fixing that this winter.

1964 model with Hi/Low tranny, 2409 hours, factory 3 point.

IMG_1493.jpg

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #2  
To my eye, it looks pretty darn good! The rear tire I can see looks fairly new and it seems to be holding air. If the one on the other side looks the same, then tires are gonna be no expense. The nose and hood of the tractor look undented, and the right fender looks good too. Hopefull the left is ok as well. If the hours are accurate, that isn't much time on a machine of that age. From the one photo, it seems like you picked a pretty good machine to restore.

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #3  
How much did you pay for her? Looks nice. Does she run?

/ Allis D12 Ser. III
Left Tire is the same as the right. Left rim has about a 6" or so rust spot that the tube popped out and dry rotted. I need to see if I can fix the rim else I will have to get a new one ($250).

I paid $500 and have not attempted to run it. I want to go over the tractor first plus it has 1/2 tank of 4 year old gas in it that I need to clean out.

The motor isn't stuck though.

So I am pulling the tank and cleaning it, then the carb, check all fluids and then see if it fires. Depending on how it runs I will go from there.

Strip and paint it after that. Left fender does have some rust through at the support but all tin is straight.

I'll post more pictures of the process.....

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #5  
Looks like a good deal given the condition of the body and the fact you can turn the crank. Really nice find!
Have fun restoring!
pete

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #6  
$500?

Wanna make a quick $50? ;)

That has POTENTIAL! They're good little tractors. An uncle of mine had one. His youngest son tried everything in his power to kill it but came up short.

Ya done good!

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #7  
Good deal. Nice fixer.
I'm looking for another project tractor and there's an AC WD in my neighborhood that's been whispering to me for nearly a year. The owner threatens to sell it for scrap if I don't get off the dime soon. He wants $1200, which is above my pain threshold for that particular piece of iron.

/ Allis D12 Ser. III
Latest update:
Put a carb kit in and cleaned it out real good. Fired right up! I was pleased :) Had to clean the carb a few more times but then it ran fine. $25

Clutch was stuck so I split the tractor and put in a new clutch, IIRC it was $170 for new plate and bearing. Also found a huge mouse nest in the torque tube. That was free.

Pulled the head and sent it to a machine shop, they checked it over and replaced the seats and matched everything up, the valves were all in good shape. $200 (bit high I thought)

Fixed the rear rim, $30. Still will need to get a new rim as it looks ugly but is usable

I pressure tested the cylinders and they were all down 30-40 psi so I ordered a new sleeve/piston kit. $325. Still waiting on this to get here.

That's it. So far I'm $500 + $750 in parts.

Paint will probably be next year though...Need to track down some more body parts

I'm happy and having fun and learning all at the same time. My wife hates the thing though :)

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #9  
Latest update:
Put a carb kit in and cleaned it out real good. Fired right up! I was pleased :) Had to clean the carb a few more times but then it ran fine. $25

Clutch was stuck so I split the tractor and put in a new clutch, IIRC it was $170 for new plate and bearing. Also found a huge mouse nest in the torque tube. That was free.

Pulled the head and sent it to a machine shop, they checked it over and replaced the seats and matched everything up, the valves were all in good shape. $200 (bit high I thought)

Fixed the rear rim, $30. Still will need to get a new rim as it looks ugly but is usable

I pressure tested the cylinders and they were all down 30-40 psi so I ordered a new sleeve/piston kit. $325. Still waiting on this to get here.

That's it. So far I'm $500 + $750 in parts.

Paint will probably be next year though...Need to track down some more body parts

I'm happy and having fun and learning all at the same time. My wife hates the thing though :)

Wives can be like that sometimes ;) Try hard to not smile so much when things are going well. I think that irritates 'em. :eek:

Sounds like you're well on the way to having a first class job. That'll make a great tractor. With a little care, it'll out last all of us.

/ Allis D12 Ser. III #10  
You have probably figured this out by now, but I will let the cat out of the bag. That is a very sought after tracter and can bring 4 to 6k. I own one and it has been a work horse.

Bake