Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to?

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
I can mow once a week twice a week and still could make hay with all the grass clippings. Would mulching blades work? A grass bagger seems like it would just get full in one pass.

I'm using the blades that came with my kubota b2650 MMM 60" deck.

Most people would say z zero turn but a guy down the road has a older kubota like the b2650 with a MMM deck and he never has to rake the grass. :laughing:

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #2  
I can mow once a week twice a week and still could make hay with all the grass clippings. Would mulching blades work? A grass bagger seems like it would just get full in one pass.

I'm using the blades that came with my kubota b2650 MMM 60" deck.

Most people would say z zero turn but a guy down the road has a older kubota like the b2650 with a MMM deck and he never has to rake the grass. :laughing:

Stop fertilizing.

SDT

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #3  
Mow higher

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #4  
After mowing I run a sweeper behind the mower. I was feeding clippings to the horses but sold them so now I just dump the clippings in my adjacent field. For the most part it's mind over matter. If you don't mind it don't matter.

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #5  
In my area this year has been good bit more rain than normal. Temps on the high side. Facing same issue as you. But facing it mostly in not lawn grass but the weedy grass such as crab grass. I plan to spray my yard this week yet to begin regiment to get finally get ride of the weed grasses.

We have tried the sweeper and considered a grass catcher even this week. Mowing right now on about five day rotation and cutting two to even four inches of crab grass with each mowing.

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #7  
Fire. Fire is the secret.

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #8  
I never rake or pick up the lawn grass. No secret... I just refuse to...

Had a grass catcher on the green thing. Took hours to mow the fool lawn. Switched to my GR and Kubota mulch kit. More like 20 minutes now. Not happy with it. Mulch cut was OK but no option to control the discharge so it left a mini-windrow on the right.

Pulled the mulch kit off and went to Gator blades. Fine cut and chucks stuff fairly evenly so no windrow - but probably not to everyone's taste.

I've learned to love the mess...

Z.

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #9  
If I’ve got an area where clumps can’t be avoided I’ll raise the deck up a little and go back over it and it does a pretty good job at scattering them.

/ Always need to rake grass!! What is the secret to not have to? #10  
Several things can cause/contribute to poorly mulched clippings. First identify weeds if there's any mixed with turf grass. I once had a rental property that had a 10x20 patch of dark green grass with fine stems that would pull engine down when I hit it. The stems were tough as twine and caused a real mess. I attempted to id the plant but never got around to showing it to an expert before selling the place. Make sure blade isn't mounted upside down. Some decks and blades aren't desighned to mulch very well. High rpms do better than low rpms. A deck that mulche's well can lose some of that ability if alowed to become caked up underneath. If available for your deck,mulching blades make a lot of difference. Sharpining blades can make a difference. Like soneone mentioned above,buzzing over mats of grass with deck lifted will disperse it some. I only catch grass near heat pumps to prevent clogging coils. I put the grass in compost bin and would do the same if I caught rest of yard. Blowing clippings back is good practice.