Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota?

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #11  
I'm presently comparing kubota and mahindra.. in my case I can step up to the 4110 vs. the 3510 for only $50 more. dealer has a brand new 2007 4110 on his lot and wants to move it. The price he quoted me on the 4110 will be 1,000 less than the 3240 quote I got from the local kubota dealer. Strongly considering the 4110

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #12  
john_bud said:
Gear jammers are actually the least cost effective long term as you will wear out 2-4 more clutches over the life of the tractor than the HST. The clutch parts are usually fairly cheap ($3-400 but labor will be $1200-2000 to split the machine each time). The HST is also MORE reliable than the gear trans with less stuff to break. That's counter intuitive to most that have never investigated the innards of each, but still true.
flag_bs.gif
flag_bs.gif
flag_bs.gif

Ok... I gotta throw the B.S. flag on that statement...

Do a search for both HST problems and Gear problems, and see which type of trannies have the most issues requiring repair...

Not looking to start a war, but that's just blatant BS... unless you can provide some extremely compelling evidence to back up that claim...

Last edited:
   / Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #13  
Not looking to start a war, but that's just blatant BS... unless you can provide some extremely compelling evidence to back up that claim...

All I have is a sample of 1, but my neighbor had an old Ford, don't know what kind, but looked to have about a 1/2 yard FEL on it. Anyway, 2 years ago it disappeared for a while & I asked him about it. Clutch went out. $1800 later he got it back. Well, about 6 months ago his son was driving it down the driveway, when the clutch went out again. Only $1200 this time. Maybe the mechanic felt sorry for him.

Now maybe this is because that same son used the tractor more for moving dirt than for tractor jobs, and probably wasn't as careful as his dad, but that is a lot of clutches in less than 2 years. Maybe 200 hours/year on the machine.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #14  
There is a reason that rental yards are moving away from gear tractors. The weekend tractor jockeys and landscapers can abuse clutches more easily than they can ruin a hydraulic transmission.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #15  
I'd say you're being slightly too exclusive. I'd add in New Holland and Massey Ferguson to your list. Those "big four" are the only ones I'd consider. The off brands like mahindra, kioti, branson, etc., might make a fine tractor but they don't have the parts and dealer support that I want in a major investment like a tractor.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #16  
xlr82v2 said:
flag_bs.gif
flag_bs.gif
flag_bs.gif

Ok... I gotta throw the B.S. flag on that statement...

Do a search for both HST problems and Gear problems, and see which type of trannies have the most issues requiring repair...

I'm a dealer, we fix tractors... the guy is right. HST's are more expensive upfront, but defentialy have lower repair bills. I'd say less instances of repair as well.

That being said, the guy is working on hills... he should be buying an HST tractor. Its a $1000 cost difference, it would be very well spent.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #17  
Just a slightly different opinion - have you considered a used tractor? Same models, same hp, same attachments, just lower priced? Or maybe even MORE capability for the same price?

That's what I did and I can't be more satisfied. Unless I won the lotto. :D

There are a couple of factors when thinking about the possibility of a used tractor. First of all, they are by nature very reliable. It's hard to go wrong with a low hour machine that has been thoroughly checked by a mechanic.

Some people like to have brand new equipment because they look very nice. Plus, they get a factory warranty. But in my case, I wanted to use my tractor and not worry about 'getting the loader scratched,' so to speak. And I saw that the price difference between new and used would allow me to do many repairs and still come out ahead.

Just a second opinion. Most likely if you are looking at new tractors now, that's the direction you feel most comfortable with. I think you will be happy with whatever you get. Good luck!

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #18  
I would stick with the big 3 and throw in MF, Mahindra and Kioti. Some of the lesser known are just too risky. Ask the Farmtrac guys. I almost bought a Farmtrac when I made my purchase, boy I'm glad I went with Kubota.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #19  
I'm a dealer, we fix tractors... the guy is right. HST's are more expensive upfront, but defentialy have lower repair bills. I'd say less instances of repair as well.

That being said, the guy is working on hills... he should be buying an HST tractor. Its a $1000 cost difference, it would be very well spent. End quote

Couldn't agree with Mr Messick more, HYDRO will be your best investment on a tractor besides your loader. I grew up on the farm and we never replaced a clutch on any color (JD,IH,Case ,CIH, Ford,MF,AC,Cat) tractor we had, including a JD 3010G with a loader we used for digging out stone hedge rows, it probably had 3-4000 hrs when we traded up to a 3020D.

When I was in charge of maintenance at a very large sewage treatment plant we had a Farmall 340 with a loader used for snow and light loader work and lawn mowing, 2 clutches in 2 yrs. I traded it in on an IH 3514 D HYDRO, never had another problem in 6000 hrs. of VERY hrd use by everybody and his brother.

That said it depends on how you are going to use it and how skilled the operator is. If you going to mow ,work in the woods, dig dirt,work on hills, let your wife and kids drive it then you have only one choice ,HYDRO. (Ok maybe Glide Shift as a second choice).

I can personally guarentee you will not be sorry to go with HYDRO.

Good Tractoring ,Joe

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #20  
CurlyDave said:
I have 12 hilly acres with a 4 acre pasture and a pond. Will be doing mostly bush-hogging with a little FEL work. Occasionally I will borrow or rent a box-blade or tiller of some sort.

I think you are being too exclusive by not looking at HST...

I second that motion! WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!! My case in point, I live on 35 acres with a creek running through the middle of it. As you probably suspect, the ground on both sides of the creek slopes toward the creek. The only piece of "flat" ground on my property is a 1.5 acre spot down by the creek and the piece my house actually sits on. That being said, HST is the way to go. It's just so much easier to work with than a geared tractor. I know this because before I got mine, I borrowed my cousin's old 1962 Ford to do some box blading. It worked...YES, but I didn't realize how much it WORKED ME until I picked up my HST.

If your property is hilly, or you have a lot of maneuvering to do (lots of trees, etc.), do yourself the favor and get an HST! Trust me.

As for what to buy, that's up to you. I own a Kubota, but I don't bleed orange and Kubota doesn't send me an endorsement check each month. Each tractor has attributes that are good and some things that I don't care for. There is no perfect tractor, unless they'd let me design my own ;). That being said, buy what you like, work the heck out of it, keep the maintenance up and enjoy the fruits of your labor aka (fun).

Podunk

Last edited: