Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota?

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #21  
"..find is the most "capable" FEL within these constraints.." I think the L2800 has the same loader (specs.) as the L3400 you are looking at. So, the price for L3400DT and L2800HST is pretty close. (correct me if I'm wrong - Have not price tractors lately.)

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #22  
Just to chime in - I agree that a lot of other brands are worth looking at, and that HST is probably a good idea. I have a JD with a clutch, and it works fine for my uses, but HST would be nice for about 75% of my tasks (basically all besides serious tillage, of which I do a little). I am very happy with JD quality, but lots of other brands are good quality too. I would carefully consider how the local dealers for each brand are. A good or bad dealer can make a big difference in your satisfaction and the uptime of a tractor that ever needs anything repaired for any reason. I would not buy even a top brand from a dealer that had poor service and didn't want my business.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #23  
xlr82v2 said:
flag_bs.gif
flag_bs.gif
flag_bs.gif

Ok... I gotta throw the B.S. flag on that statement...

Do a search for both HST problems and Gear problems, and see which type of trannies have the most issues requiring repair...

Not looking to start a war, but that's just blatant BS... unless you can provide some extremely compelling evidence to back up that claim...

Better yet, since you laid down the BS flag, why don't you visit your local Kubota and John Deere dealers and ask them how many HSTs and gear trans they have repaired (including clutches but not including the HML range gears as they are part of the midcase and not part of the transmission).

I did when searching for a new fangled tractor 8 years ago. The answer was 0 for Kubota HST's and 1 HST for JD and that one was run out of fluid when a 3pt implement's hydraulic line ruptured. They both do clutches regularly, but fewer for Kubota as they sell many more GST and HST than DT tractors.

I do have my facts straight, ducks lined up and have done the investigations. Have you?

jb

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #24  
The other thing to consider is that at least in this area any other than New Holland, Deere or Kubota will not hold it's resale value very well.

Andy

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #25  
Check out all makes and models and you will be the best at knowing if you are being to exclusive. Also you asked about the Mahindra 3510 which if you check the weight and lifting capacities it is way more tractor than the L3400. The closer comparision would be the Mahindra 3215G. As I said look at all makes and drive them to see how they feel to you, and then make your desision.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #26  
"I do have my facts straight, ducks lined up and have done the investigations. Have you? "

:D :D :D :D

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #27  
How transmission choices can change in a period of five years or so!:D :D :D

Orange or green with HST for me.:D :D :D Especially if there is a loader on the front.:D

I have had problems with the HST on my toy Kubota B7100. It was due to branch/tree jammed into the external linkage bending it.:( :(

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota?
Good evening All,

I really appreciate all of the input. I will be honest in saying that the main reason I have been looking at the L3400DT as opposed to say the L2800 HST is because I really want to get as much tractor as I can afford. By that, I mean, I would rather have a heavier, stronger tractor, than one with more creature comforts. Dont get me wrong, I would love to have HST, but the 3400 HST is just a little more than I am able to afford, now or anytime in the near future. Many would say to wait until I can afford the HST, but in all honesty that may be a while and I really dont want to go through another summer without being able to adequately maintain my property. My pledge to all of you though is that I will test both versions before I make a final decision. If it comes down to it, I would probably be fine with the L2800HST. While I'm being honest, I should admit that I really WANT a JD, but in the price range I am looking at their comparable tractors just dont seem to be able to keep up with Kubota. I plan to visit the local Mahindra dealer this weekend and see what they have to offer. I went by the local NH dealer yesterday and I walked out simply because of the lack of service I was getting by their lone salesman (I dont want to be dealing with him on any sort of regular basis).

Thats pretty much all of the brands I have within a reasonable distance. Please continue to provide any information that you feel would be useful, as I want to make sure that I make the best decision. Thanks again.

Bob

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #29  
Robert, I know you will be glad you considered the Mahindra. Take a close look at the 2615 HST. A blind man would be glad to see one. For the price, the specifications are hard to beat in the price range you are considering. I think the extra money for the hydro is a great investment.

/ Am I being too exclusive only looking at JD and Kubota? #30  
Egon said:
I have had problems with the HST on my toy Kubota B7100. It was due to branch/tree jammed into the external linkage bending it.:( :(

Dern! Ya got me with that one! ;)

Robert6401,

I have both a Ford gear tractor and an HST. The gear tractor is about 45 PTO hp and with the FEL and BH weighs in about 9500#. The HST is an L3410 with FEL and filled rear tires. When carrying the box blade it is about 6500#. The Kubota bucket is 8.8 cuft and the ford has a 20 cuft bucket.

I can move dirt about 2x as fast with the kubota! It always gets a full bucket and is always in total control for speed and hydraulic power. Not so with the ford. Some of that is the 4wd vs 2wd and some is the ability to ease into a pile and match forward speed with FEL lift better. Direction changes also save 11 seconds per round trip. (I used to share an office with an Industrial Engineer that is also a weekend farmer and picked up his habit of timing operations for efficiency. I know, I know --> bad case of geekocity).

If you can't afford a new HST, have you looked into the used ones? Carver (dealer that supports this site) used to have some smok'n deals on lease returns. I would buy a 500 hour HST in the 30-40 hp range over a new gear tractor. After all, that "new tractor smell" is gone after the first load of manure! :) Just a thought to further expand options.

jb