And the HP Wars Begin

/ And the HP Wars Begin #91  
I heard that chevy was re-starting their 'baby duramax' for light duty trucks. 4.5L, 300 HP, 500ish foot-lbs, and will fit in any engine bay that a small block V-8 will fit in. Supposed to get mid 20's in fuel economy. Don't know about DEF (urea).

I hope they get it right.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #92  
Ford's midsize diesel is already in the works, expect them in F150's before too long. So 20's in a real nice half ton. After the initial I'll get one of those. No more lines to give away my cash.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #93  
I hope they get it right too, and they probably will with a few glitches in the beginning.

We are so overdue for a smaller sized diesel.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #94  
I heard that chevy was re-starting their 'baby duramax' for light duty trucks. 4.5L, 300 HP, 500ish foot-lbs, and will fit in any engine bay that a small block V-8 will fit in. Supposed to get mid 20's in fuel economy. Don't know about DEF (urea).

I'd even take that in a 3/4 ton truck. Heck I'd strongly consider buying a 3/4 ton GM if I could get the same 5.3 V8 and 3.42 rear end combo that my current 1/2 ton truck has. My truck puts out more horsepower and torque than a big block did 15 years ago and those trucks had enough to get the job done as long as you could be a little patient and not drive while towing as if you were driving a sports car. In reality my truck tows my loads just fine, particularly with respect to power. I would just love to have a truck that gets equal or slightly better mileage to my current truck with a little bit beefier rear end as my 1/2 ton squats a little more with a max load than I would prefer on longer trips. I sincerely hope that this smaller diesel makes it to market as it would be EXACTLY what myself and a bunch of other people would be looking for. I know a lot of people who owned older diesels ONLY because they got better fuel economy.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #95  
Would be nice to see options. 300hp and 500ft lb is more than the 3/4 tons were making just a few years ago.

How about 225HP or so, 400ftlbs, and 30+MPG... It's a 1/2 ton after all...

It would be kinda nice if they offered that option in 25/35 series trucks too. Granted, most folks would probably go for the HP over mileage, but it would be nice to at least have the option.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #96  
Frankly I don't know why there aren't more diesel options in the truck industry. Well, I'm sure some of it is cost, diesels will always be more expensive to produce than gas engines. However I would think that economies of scale would eventually kick in and bring costs down somewhat if more diesel engines were being produced. I'd love to see something along the lines of a small diesel for half tons, and possibly smaller trucks if it would fit, that would produce around 235 to 250 horsepower and around 350 to 400 lbs ft of torque while delivering 30 mpg highway unloaded and able to pull around 7,000 pounds. I'd also like to see a 300 horsepower 500 lb ft of torque engine for half ton and 3/4 ton trucks that will deliver 23 to 25 mpg highway unloaded while able to tow 10,000 pounds with tall (maybe 3.42) gears and maybe up to 12,000 pounds bumper pull on a 3/4 ton using slightly lower gearing, but still be 20 to 22 mpg highway unloaded. Then of course you can keep the monsters that we have now for the absolute biggest loads. I think Ford may be in the best position to pull this off as well. Since they are the only company building their own diesel added to the fact that they have experience building modular motors. They may be able to get everything working right if the new Scorpion Power Stroke ends up being a success. I'm really hoping that we'll see some smaller diesels in the next 2 years or so.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #97  
Again they were very close to the numbers you are siting a few years back. I have a 2004 F-250 4x4 that turn in 17 mixed every tank and as good as high 23's on the highway. This is with a chip, 4" exhaust, and an intake system. I have a 06 F-350 that is the same. Both trucks have 3.73 gears and can pull 16,000# Both are making well over 500HP and 725 FT LB TQ.

I had a 2005 Dmax 4x4 with 3.73 gears that did a honest 15 in town and 20 to 21 on the highway with no modifications at all. This truck had 310HP and 590 FT LB TQ if I remember right. I only had it for about 9 months.

The EPA has doomed the mpg war for the time being. Maybe this new Ford will be a winner but I will hold on for a year or two to see how they shake out.

Chris

/ And the HP Wars Begin #98  
anyone else get the feeling its "all on paper"

kinda like the briggs and stratton debacle.

/ And the HP Wars Begin #99  
anyone else get the feeling its "all on paper"

kinda like the briggs and stratton debacle.

In Europe theres a big rig HP war going on. MAN introduced a 680 hp, 3000Nm truck. Volvo introduced a 700hp, 3100Nm truck. MAN uses the ZF transmission which ZF warrants for 3000Nm max, so they bumped the hp but not the torque. Scania now brags about their new V8 of 730hp and 3500Nm, but the 3500Nm is only available in the highest 3 gears... So indeed, this is all on paper.
I'm not really into Nascar, but somebody once said, "horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races"

About smaller diesels, i hauled a load of scrap to the recycler this morning, weighing in at 9300 pounds combined weight, on the scales. With 140hp and 300Nm i can keep up with the other traffic when shifting at 2700rpm, keeping it between 1900 and 2700rpm, right in the middle of the engine torque band. 5th gear is too tall, but cruising 80km/h at 2000rpm in 4th is a good rpm to maintain power and fuel economy. The engine torque curve is what matters most, hp doesnt mean much.
I only wish for stronger rear springs... perhaps change them for those of the Estate version...;)

/ And the HP Wars Begin #100  
Ford's midsize diesel is already in the works, expect them in F150's before too long. So 20's in a real nice half ton. After the initial I'll get one of those. No more lines to give away my cash.

Good. The more competition, the better. I would now like to see a MPG war. The HP war is/has been over for years.

I hope they get it right too, and they probably will with a few glitches in the beginning.

We are so overdue for a smaller sized diesel.

Yes.

I'd even take that in a 3/4 ton truck. Heck I'd strongly consider buying a 3/4 ton GM if I could get the same 5.3 V8 and 3.42 rear end combo that my current 1/2 ton truck has. My truck puts out more horsepower and torque than a big block did 15 years ago and those trucks had enough to get the job done as long as you could be a little patient and not drive while towing as if you were driving a sports car. In reality my truck tows my loads just fine, particularly with respect to power. I would just love to have a truck that gets equal or slightly better mileage to my current truck with a little bit beefier rear end as my 1/2 ton squats a little more with a max load than I would prefer on longer trips. I sincerely hope that this smaller diesel makes it to market as it would be EXACTLY what myself and a bunch of other people would be looking for. I know a lot of people who owned older diesels ONLY because they got better fuel economy.

I heard GM is going to offer the baby duramax in all trucks, 1/2 to 1 Tons. They had to do this to be able to get it to market. The big Duramax will be an option, the smaller one std.

Would be nice to see options. 300hp and 500ft lb is more than the 3/4 tons were making just a few years ago.

How about 225HP or so, 400ftlbs, and 30+MPG... It's a 1/2 ton after all...

It would be kinda nice if they offered that option in 25/35 series trucks too. Granted, most folks would probably go for the HP over mileage, but it would be nice to at least have the option.

Completely agree. Been saying this for years.

Frankly I don't know why there aren't more diesel options in the truck industry. Well, I'm sure some of it is cost, diesels will always be more expensive to produce than gas engines. However I would think that economies of scale would eventually kick in and bring costs down somewhat if more diesel engines were being produced. I'd love to see something along the lines of a small diesel for half tons, and possibly smaller trucks if it would fit, that would produce around 235 to 250 horsepower and around 350 to 400 lbs ft of torque while delivering 30 mpg highway unloaded and able to pull around 7,000 pounds. I'd also like to see a 300 horsepower 500 lb ft of torque engine for half ton and 3/4 ton trucks that will deliver 23 to 25 mpg highway unloaded while able to tow 10,000 pounds with tall (maybe 3.42) gears and maybe up to 12,000 pounds bumper pull on a 3/4 ton using slightly lower gearing, but still be 20 to 22 mpg highway unloaded. Then of course you can keep the monsters that we have now for the absolute biggest loads. I think Ford may be in the best position to pull this off as well. Since they are the only company building their own diesel added to the fact that they have experience building modular motors. They may be able to get everything working right if the new Scorpion Power Stroke ends up being a success. I'm really hoping that we'll see some smaller diesels in the next 2 years or so.

Agree. I think 30 MPG hwy miles unloaded would be a top seller. I would buy one. Especially if you could tow ~10K lbs.

Again they were very close to the numbers you are siting a few years back. I have a 2004 F-250 4x4 that turn in 17 mixed every tank and as good as high 23's on the highway. This is with a chip, 4" exhaust, and an intake system. I have a 06 F-350 that is the same. Both trucks have 3.73 gears and can pull 16,000# Both are making well over 500HP and 725 FT LB TQ.

I had a 2005 Dmax 4x4 with 3.73 gears that did a honest 15 in town and 20 to 21 on the highway with no modifications at all. This truck had 310HP and 590 FT LB TQ if I remember right. I only had it for about 9 months.

The EPA has doomed the mpg war for the time being. Maybe this new Ford will be a winner but I will hold on for a year or two to see how they shake out.

Chris

Would rather see less HP, less displacement, and more MPG. EPA should exempt some based on mileage.