Another Chipper Post

/ Another Chipper Post
Thanks as always for the input. I've had a lot of questions during the last few years. I've yet to have a question that had not already been addressed here. I'm gonna call the rental places and the dealerships Monday. Please keep the input coming.

/ Another Chipper Post #12  
I bought the Wallenstein chipper and like it mucho. No belts/pulleys, just a pto shaft turning the chipper disk. I aim the chute into plastic barrels, then move a couple at a time with the loader. It's not a shreder tho, small twigs, 1/8" x 10" or so, end up in the mix.. but they're easy to rake out when spreading. My pto is 18 hp (at the low end of the range for the BX42) and I'm chipping right up to it's 4" limit in medium density wood, soft maple and ash (if that's what they are). It runs good at 2000 rpm with up to maybe 3", but for the 4" I go up to 2400 rpm. It self-feeds better at 2400 too with all sizes.

I was using my BX42 on the weekend it has the hydraulic feed, sure was a treat. I had been renting a commercial chipper .every other year but really like the convenience of having my own. I upped my tractor size when purchasing to get the 30-40 hp PTO for the chipper. Like I said it works great and with the fold up feeder shoot it fits nicely on a skid for moving around in the garage.:thumbsup:

/ Another Chipper Post #13  
We have a Salsco 627XT chipper - 6" with hyd. Feed that works well.

I tied the Wallenstein but found (upon review advise from someone here) that the loading tray angle and hgt. was awkward.

Recently Iv'e seen lots of used chippers for sale on C-list. Patu is also highly regarded.

BTW, the 1st year here on our site in rural NH we started a brush-plie fire and the local VFD staff quickly showed up to inform there had to be snow on the ground, or we could permit a weekend night burn.

/ Another Chipper Post #14  
There is a Super Apache available on Craiglist locally. The price just keeps coming down. I have been tempted, but from research here and web seraching, it seems to be a long ago discontinued unit. The picture in the ad looks decent, but I fear getting something and not being able to get blades or other parts.

I'm tired of renting chippers, and have a 40hp tractor. A PTO chipper just isn't in the budget right now though, at least not new.

/ Another Chipper Post #15  
There is a Super Apache available on Craiglist locally. The price just keeps coming down. I have been tempted, but from research here and web seraching, it seems to be a long ago discontinued unit. The picture in the ad looks decent, but I fear getting something and not being able to get blades or other parts.

I'm tired of renting chippers, and have a 40hp tractor. A PTO chipper just isn't in the budget right now though, at least not new.

I used to have a Super Apache. The main shaft, bearings, etc, are common off-the-shelf parts. Blades and anvil can be made by any decent machine shop. Mine needed an anvil and I had one made by a machine shop for about $25. I felt it was a great home owner chipper...... and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

/ Another Chipper Post #16  
Goossen is also a good chipper/shredder. Ihave the bush hog version (cp-100). It's a lot like the bearcat. The advantage of a shredder shouild not be overlooked if you have a lot of bursh. I use the shredder more than the chipper.

/ Another Chipper Post #17  
Goossen is also a good chipper/shredder. Ihave the bush hog version (cp-100). It's a lot like the bearcat. The advantage of a shredder shouild not be overlooked if you have a lot of bursh. I use the shredder more than the chipper.

Good point about the shredder usage. Work I did on Tuesday (03 May) was mostly chipping...but the last time I used the chipper/shredder, it was almost all shredder work.

/ Another Chipper Post #18  
You already have the brush piles, and it's a toss up whether it is easier to burn, or chip them. I've done quite a bit of both on a small, but steady scale over the last 20 + years.
I have a Wallenstien BX42 chipper on my 26 (tractor) hp Kubota, and it works fine once I adjusted the chipper knives to the proper distance. I like the PTO chipper a lot since it is very easy to just drive along where I have cut, and chip things right where they fell. I do sometimes use my forks to push a bunch of branches to a more convienient place, but not often. The big advantage to chipping over burning for me is timing ( I can do it when ever I please) and material handling. I no longer have to cut things up to fit a wagon, and haul them to a pile, and then pull, and yank on things to burn them. If a branch, or two falls in a storm I can just drive out there,and chip it into my garden tractor wagon, and it's all cleaned up, etc.

/ Another Chipper Post #19  
ChuckinNH said:
You already have the brush piles, and it's a toss up whether it is easier to burn, or chip them. I've done quite a bit of both on a small, but steady scale over the last 20 + years.
I have a Wallenstien BX42 chipper on my 26 (tractor) hp Kubota, and it works fine once I adjusted the chipper knives to the proper distance.
ChuckinNH -- how difficult was that adjustment? I've got a BX2660 and was also looking at the BX42 for the piles of brush I need to shred.

/ Another Chipper Post #20  
This thread struck up some interest as I just finished up on some chipping and shredding. Son and I own a older BearCat 70500 chipper/shredder, a towable model and has the opt blower. It's about 20 yr old and hasn't been used that much. Original cost $3500.

I find the design and build leave something to be desired. Accessing the chipper blades is a 2 man job as your arm has to be down in both chutes. It is a long reach and hopefully you don't drop a wrench inside. Needed to sharpen the chipper knives and noted out of the 4 knives on the flywheel, typ only 2 are used as the second pair only come into play on large dia branches/trunks.

There are clearance "chutes" behind the chipper blades and IMO they are not large enough as they can and do get plugged with chips and as long as they are plugged, not chipping takes place.

Lots of metal and weld fatigue. The belt guard held in place with 3 mounting brackets on the side and had to re-weld one before using this time. Also had to weld in several places on the chipper chute. Chipper chute weld have partially failed where the chute attaches to main frame. Slightly below that there are signs of metal fatigue, i.e. 6" long crack. After use, found another 2 seam welds on the chute had failed and another bracket for the belt guard failed. Chipper is kept under cover and paint is still in good shape so I doubt these failures are due solely to exposure.

IMO the blower is a must if you are running a lot of stuff through the machine. You don't want to be interrupted frequently to move either the chipper or the chips.

Maybe newer model have changed and hopefully areas that are prone to failure due to stress have been addressed. For a machine that cost this much, having failures of materials and workmanship isn't encouraging.

Attachments

• bearcat.jpg
    bearcat.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 154