another "Intresting" gravel driveway

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway #11  
You need to hire a guy with this bumper sticker on his truck,, the guy who did my driveway had the sticker on his truck,,

I5EK2Aq.jpg

He used 3 machines, these two, and a track skid steer,,

LRhTaK8.jpg

Besides perfecting the ditches, he installed four culverts that take the water across the driveway,, the culverts really corrected my water issue,,

eLLP6AX.jpg

My driveway has been zero maintenance for almost 2 years,,
before this guy corrected it, the driveway needed major repairs at least twice a year,,

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway #12  
That needs 5 feet cut back, sloped, ditched, and then beded. You're on the right track.

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway #13  
I would say you need to cut the hill back farther and make a ditch on that side. It probably would not take much of a ditch and then you might need a culvert somewhere to get the water under your road. The problem is once you start cutting into that hill it might be a lot of work depending on how steep it is to the right of your pictures.

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway #14  
From the sounds of it, it's a shale type ledge.
If so either an excavator with a hammer or single shank ripper, possibly a crawler with a ripper.
If you can get a ditch opened up deeper then the low side of the driveway,
lay a perforated drain tile in it possibly with a couple of runs across the driveway and away.
Surround the drain like with pea stone, then a strip of fabric on top then gravel or road mix.
That should intercept the water seepage and keep the driveway firm.
What he says, cant stop or turn water, only redirect it in pipe downhill. 'French Drain' with solid pipe to send seep across road in several places should work.
1" of hard rain would get in my shed before drain, last pic is after 6" in 12 hrs. EVERYTHING flooded except my shed!20180307_171042.jpeg20180307_170947.jpeg20180221_085637.jpeg

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway #15  
Hopefully the guy with the bumper sticker got out of the locomotives way :rolleyes:

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway #17  
You might consider evaluating where the water comes from and seeing if you can stop it before it gets to the problem area. If some water is running down the side of the road before it gets to the area with shallow bedrock, consider installing a drainage pipe across the road before it reaches the bedrock. But it sounds more like the water is seeping out from the ground. Where is that water coming from? Can it be addressed sooner, before it reaches the trouble point? Perhaps there is a shallow collection area uphill from the problem area that feeds the underground seepage that could be drained elsewhere.

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway
Wow. A lot of good feedback. Thank you.

This stretch of road is 350-450 feet down from the top of the hill. The hill is nicely rounded at the top with no obvious water collection point. The ledge spottily protrudes from the hillside for 100ish feet above the road. The water seeps from that entire layer of ledge along a couple hundred yard of road. The ledge/hillside is much too steep to collect the water uphill from the road.

I think that I must push the roadway another 5 feet into the hillside, pounding down the ledge as necessary, and pound/dig a nice ditch along the road at the side of the hill.

Sigh.

Last edited:
   / another "Intresting" gravel driveway #19  
Is this just a trail to get to the top of the hill or is this a driveway to a home? If it is a home, you should build it so emergency vehicles can safely drive on it. This would mean trees and branches removed also.

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway
Is this just a trail to get to the top of the hill or is this a driveway to a home? If it is a home, you should build it so emergency vehicles can safely drive on it. This would mean trees and branches removed also.

This is the driveway to the home. We had some road work done after taking these pictures which included removing trees along road as well as all tree limbs up to, I believe, 16' over road. Have since had some deliveries (like the septic tank) on large trucks with no issues. I think the trees and limbs are ok for now, but will need addressing as I widen the road.