another "Intresting" gravel driveway

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway #21  
Old Guy,
I have a farm in Bledsoe County just outside of Crossville. I ran into this situation with all the rain we had last year. I spent over $1,500 in dozer work and gravel on a 200 yard drive only to find out that with the recent rain, I'm having issues again. The dozer driver is one of the best I've had and I can't fault him. He did put water bars in the road to slow running water. What I learned though, similar to what an earlier poster stated, is that water is running out of a hole in the middle of a grade in the hill above. I'm therefore going to have to go back and have culverts put in to keep the water off the road and have it flow under and to the downhill side. The downhill side will need the pond rebuilt to hold more water.

Also to add, as long as the ruts aren't too bad and I can get a tractor up there this summer, I'll use my box grader to address what I can.

/ another "Intresting" gravel driveway
Old Guy, you've got yourself a project. Hopefully you aren't an Old Guy rather just go by that name. Hope there is a diamond at the top of that hill! Private drives like this can become expensive when Acts of God occur so make sure its in your budget, don't skimp on spending and budgeting a reasonable amount over time or you will be sorry later on.

My daughter lives in Nashville and we are planning to go see her soon. It seems like a nice place to live.

Old Guy - it is all relative. I will be 69 in May, God willing, and most of me does not feel old. Of course, I have never been this age before now, so I am not sure how I should feel :). My wife states that I am too old to be taking on this build-a-house project, which is where the "Old Guy" moniker came from.

I have learned enough as I traveled through life to pick my battles. I will hire the rock-pounding ditch-building road-widening work, and spend my efforts maintaining it when they finish.

We love Tennessee. The geography, history, weather and people are all top-notch. Funny, I have never been as far west in Tennessee as Nashville. My wife was there a few years back and really enjoyed it. I will go when/if we have the time. Enjoy your visit with your daughter.