Another newbie - which tractor

/ Another newbie - which tractor #1  

deanojonesy

Hey everyone,

Here's the story:-
Bought 10acres, mostly cleared, slopping land - traction OK not muddy.

What I want to do with the tractor in order or priority:-
Slashing approx 5acres.
FEL work building kids motorcross track small jumps/corners/etc, general garden landscaping, driveways etc.
Some small amount of fencing.

Some Questions:-
1. What size hp would you recommend?
2. 2wd or 4wd? Little concerned about the slopping land and if 4wd would be any benifit or just make sure I get a wide wheel base 2wd? Also does the 4wd work better for FEL work?
3. General FEL with Bucket or 4in1 Bucket (not sure if thats what it is called in other countries?)
4. What tranmission? Have heard that if you are doing a bit of FEL work then to get Shuttle shift or similar as you go back and forward alot and dont have to stop to change gears? Do older tractors have Shuttle shift or is ot only a new feature?
5. New 30hp or Second Hand 40hp+? Can get a NEW Agricat (Foton) 30hp 4WD with 4in1 bucket & 4ft slasher (would prob get 5ft upgrade) shuttle shift 5yr part labour warranty for $18,500 OR Second Hand Something like Massey Ferguson 40 2WD standard FEL bucket for $15,000 OR SAME Corsaro 70 4WD standard FEL bucket for $14,500 OR International 484 2WD 2800hrs standard FEL bucket for $13,750?

Thanks for your Help everyone.

Jonesy
from Australia

/ Another newbie - which tractor #2  
Hey everyone,

Here's the story:-
Bought 10acres, mostly cleared, slopping land - traction OK not muddy.

What I want to do with the tractor in order or priority:-
Slashing approx 5acres.
FEL work building kids motorcross track small jumps/corners/etc, general garden landscaping, driveways etc.
Some small amount of fencing.

Some Questions:-
1. What size hp would you recommend?
2. 2wd or 4wd? Little concerned about the slopping land and if 4wd would be any benifit or just make sure I get a wide wheel base 2wd? Also does the 4wd work better for FEL work?
3. General FEL with Bucket or 4in1 Bucket (not sure if thats what it is called in other countries?)
4. What tranmission? Have heard that if you are doing a bit of FEL work then to get Shuttle shift or similar as you go back and forward alot and dont have to stop to change gears? Do older tractors have Shuttle shift or is ot only a new feature?
5. New 30hp or Second Hand 40hp+? Can get a NEW Agricat (Foton) 30hp 4WD with 4in1 bucket & 4ft slasher (would prob get 5ft upgrade) shuttle shift 5yr part labour warranty for $18,500 OR Second Hand Something like Massey Ferguson 40 2WD standard FEL bucket for $15,000 OR SAME Corsaro 70 4WD standard FEL bucket for $14,500 OR International 484 2WD 2800hrs standard FEL bucket for $13,750?

Thanks for your Help everyone.

Jonesy
from Australia

I have a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering, partial constant mesh tranny, 8F/2R). It's a heavy, simple tractor with a basic partially synchronized tranny. Paid about $17.5K for it. Use it on my 10-acres of flat pasture. Have 5 acres this year in oat hay (plant in Oct, bale it in May).

DSCF0159 (Small).JPG

It takes a little learning to use the FEL efficiently with that simple gear tranny. If you're in a hurry, shuttle shift or hydrostatic trannies might be a better choice.

My guess is that Mahindra has a pretty large presence in the tractor market Down Under.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #3  
10ac and 20-30ish hp tractors are a good match... 4wd and sloping land is a good match.. especially if there is a loader involved. A box blade will be a usefull tool to help make that track as well. that and a 5' rough mower as long as you go 25hp+

soundguy

/ Another newbie - which tractor #4  
Listen to Soundguy on tractor size and don't fall prey to worshipers of excessive horsepower. With regard to transmission, if you are doing a lot of FEL work then HST is nice. 4n1 buckets are expensive and over rated unless you are a contractor needing max flexibility in a trailerable all in one tractor. For the price of a 4n1 you can get a standard bucket, grapple and box blade which will give you three tools that do any job better than a 4n1.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #5  
After having 2 SAME's that would be my first choice and the 484 my second.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #6  
Don't get me wrong.. I love excess hp.. but for specific jobs.. I've got a 95hp machine in my barn to pull a 15' mower.. but then.. I like to mow my 13ac in 3 hours :)

for regular chores.. 30 and 40 hp machines do the work..

soundguy

/ Another newbie - which tractor #7  
Don't get me wrong.. I love excess hp.. but for specific jobs.. I've got a 95hp machine in my barn to pull a 15' mower.. but then.. I like to mow my 13ac in 3 hours :)

for regular chores.. 30 and 40 hp machines do the work..

soundguy

I would say that 95hp is not excessive for a 15ft batwing.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #8  
not excessive for the batwing.. but the 95hp tractor and batwing mower may be excessive for 13ac :) but I like it.. and the quick mow time free's me up to do other things.

soundguy

/ Another newbie - which tractor #9  
Hi Jonesy-

I've been researching tractors too, and agree with what's been said above about HP, 4wd, and trans type.

As to new or used, I'm definitely going to buy used. I have 5 acres of sloping land and I'm going to grade an orchard and other paths, maybe dig a septic and maybe even a foundation, and also snow clearing.. But I will NEVER put the kind of hours on the machine that a pro farmer or contractor will. I can get a machine with 500-1000 hours on it that's in good shape, and use it for twenty years and not wear it out. Sounds like you are in the same boat. So why pay for a 0 hour machine, unless you just want to?

You asked, "buy new lower hp or used higher hp?" I'd say get a good used at the minimum hp you are willing to live with. Spend the rest of the money on attachments. As you know, the tractor is useless without them, and the more you have the more you can do. Do you want the biggest, newest tractor you can get for bragging rights, or do you want the most capability for your money? I want the latter. My land is off the main highway and no one will be able to see my tractor anyway, except my neighbor, and he's already jealous of my truck so I don't need to aggravate the situation with a shiny orange. I'll get something faded like his so he won't think I'm uppity.

Just my 3-1/2 cents.

JG

/ Another newbie - which tractor #10  
Soundguy and Island have given you good advice. 30 - 40 hp, HST tranny, grapple, 4WD, 6 foot bush hog. There are many many good brands out there. Dealer is just as important. The Fotons might require more wrench turning on your own. Some like the chinese tractors. Others hate them. I would suggest you take your time and look at as many tractors (both new and used) before pulling the trigger. I'd also say to get a toothbar.