Another newbie - which tractor

/ Another newbie - which tractor #11  
I would say 40 to 50hp. Along with HP, you need to consider how heavy your tractor is. A light tractor with more hp wil do less actual work that a 'beefier' tractor with less hp. In other words, a 40-50 hp compact tractor will not be able to do the work of a 30-40 hp utility tractor. Secondly, match your implements (and your workload) to your tractor. And remember, cheaper is not always better or even good enough. You can't do with a light duty peice of equipment what you can with a heavy duty one. If you want to clear the land, you will need the 'bigger' tractor. If you are just maintaining and cleaning up, then you can probably get away with the smaller/lighter tractor. I am a believer in 4wd. Especially with the FEL. True, I have gotten my 4wd tractors stuck more than I have my 2wd tractors. A lot of folks will say they can do without, but when it comes to pulling and traction you can't beat the 4wd. That is both in the dry field plowing, wet fields just going from point a to b, and pushing snow. And, finally, there is such a thing as too much tractor, but you will find that there will be times when you want or need a little more. So, if you must choose between two and all things else are equal, go with the bigger tractor.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #12  
Soundguy and Island have given you good advice. 30 - 40 hp, HST tranny, grapple, 4WD, 6 foot bush hog. There are many many good brands out there. Dealer is just as important. The Fotons might require more wrench turning on your own. Some like the chinese tractors. Others hate them. I would suggest you take your time and look at as many tractors (both new and used) before pulling the trigger. I'd also say to get a toothbar.

I don't know. I agree with soundguy with most things, but I strongly disagree when it comes to putting a FEL on a 2wd tractor. Been there, done that. IMHO, an FEL is absolutely completely worthless on a 2wd tractor unless you're putting it on a tractor weighing upwards of 15,000 or more. Few manufacturers put FEL on 2wd tractors anymore with Mahindra apparently putting more FEL's on 2wd tractors than all other brands combined that were built in the last 15 years.

Compared to some guys, I'm new to tractors with only about 25 years or so of heavy use. Still, I would never consider a 2wd tractor, ever, if there was even a remote chance I'd someday need a loader on the tractor. Sure, you'll get some guys saying that they've done this and that with a loader on their 2wd tractor. I can also show you a guy who dug a half acre pond with a slip scraper behind his 8N tractor. It only took him 30 years to do what the right equipment could have done in a week.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #13  
10ac and 20-30ish hp tractors are a good match... 4wd and sloping land is a good match.. especially if there is a loader involved. A box blade will be a usefull tool to help make that track as well. that and a 5' rough mower as long as you go 25hp+

soundguy

I don't see 2WD recommended anywhere in this post. Nor in mine.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #14  
I don't see 2WD recommended anywhere in this post. Nor in mine.

Look closer; unless they've been removed. You'll see 'em pop up. Heck, everybody can disagree and not get mad. I'm just speaking from hours and hours of frustration with a 2wd tractor with an FEL. The frustration and worthlessness (if that's a word) seems to seep through in my posts on CUT sized 2wd tractors with FELs.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #15  
I honestly don't even consider 2wd tractors to be CUTs these days. That may be quirky and I know that old Fords, MF etc etc from the 40's-80's were 2wd but mostly these days we (I) assume that CUTs are 4wd (4w assist really I guess). You have to go out of your way to find a 2wd CUT in the 20-40hp range that has been made in the past 10-15 years.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #16  
I don't know. I agree with soundguy with most things, but I strongly disagree when it comes to putting a FEL on a 2wd tractor.

Dargo.. here's a direct quote from my post:

4wd and sloping land is a good match.. especially if there is a loader involved. 4wd and sloping land is a good match.. especially if there is a loader involved.

I did not advocate getting 2wd.. in fact I sugested 4wd due to the land and loader????????

IMHO, an FEL is absolutely completely worthless on a 2wd tractor unless you're putting it on a tractor weighing upwards of 15,000 or more. .

Tell that to my 4200# * 1955 ford 850 2wd tractor with loader that I routinely use to put out 800-1100# round bales to feed my equines and bovines. :)

* cacl in the rear tires, plus concrete 3pt counterweight.

Hardest working machine on my farm except when it comes to mowing grass.

Still.. I'm a collector of antiques.. not modern tractors.. if I wanted a modern loader tractor it would have 4wd.. and likely somehting other than a plain gear tranny.

since I collect antiques.. 4wd is usually a rare bird in the age range I'm interested in.. though fel's are decently common.... not the greatest on 2wd and limited older hyd systems.. but they sure did lots of work with em back then.. beats a shovel and wheel barrow all to heck!!

soundguy

/ Another newbie - which tractor
Thanks everyone for your replies.

What does everyone think about a John Deere 955 with 70a front end loader for my application?

Having my old man look at one in the country tomorrow details:-
1998 JD955 70a FEL 4WD
1514hrs
33hp
Hydrostatic Transmission
Dealer recomended a 4ft to 4ft6in - he said 5ft might be too much for it? I would want at least 4ft6in I think.
Dealer said the mid mount mowers aren't that good for slashing?
$16500 AUD

What do you think - is it a good machine and not too under powered?

/ Another newbie - which tractor #18  
Hard to judge the price (would be high in USA with that many hours) but JD tractors are certainly well thought of. I suspect the 955 is one of the JD models actually manufactured by Yanmar which has a fine reputation on its own.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #19  
The 955 is the most sought after version of the x5x series here in the states because it has the most hp of the group. They have an excellent reputation and command very good money here. Not sure what the current exchange rate is between $US and $AUS. So, it's hard to comment on the cost. Might look at what they are going for on ironplant or ebay. Might also ask in the JD forum.

While this series is light, I do think it would work ok for you.

/ Another newbie - which tractor #20  
4WD for FEL definitely for you as you are going to work in the dirt (motocross track). Pushing into and getting out of heaps of dirt is where the front wheel assist will help. 2WD FEL work is OK when you always have good traction, and you won't.
Older tractors don't (thinking of small agricultural tractors) have clutch-pedal-less forward-reverse shuttle shift, it is another really nice feature. Hydrostatic transmission would also do.

On the JD 955 you found, what type of tires does it have? Because here you have a problem. For working in the dirt with the motocross track you need something that gives good traction - hence agricultural tires. But with gardening turf tires would be preferable to not damage the lawn. I guess the compromise here would be R4 industrial type tires.