Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates?

/ Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates? #1  

ljellio

Bronze Member
Tractor
cub cadet 149 and 124
My brother and I have brought my hydraulic dump trailer to life and now I'm trying trying to think of ideas to have it latch on it's own once the bed is empty and lowered . Any ideas?

/ Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates? #3  
My brother and I have brought my hydraulic dump trailer to life and now I'm trying trying to think of ideas to have it latch on it's own once the bed is empty and lowered . Any ideas?
Your better off with a manual system. If you could rig an automatic system, it could fail on the highway.

/ Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates?
This is for a strictly yard trailer

/ Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates? #5  
This is for a strictly yard trailer
Oh, ok.........that's a different story.
I don't know of any automatic systems, but what they use on dump trucks is a lever that comes to the front of the bed, when pulled it releases the locking mechanism at the tailgate.

/ Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates? #7  
As Bison suggested, just check out dump truck air latching mechanisms. I assume you don't have air, so just use a hydraulic cylinder & controls, in place of the air setup.

/ Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates? #8  
How about just making it spring loaded? Pull the handle to dump and let the spring return it to the latched position. Putting the right angle on the ouside of the latch will let it overcome the spring and latch when closing.

/ Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates? #9  
If you're just using it around your property, another thought occured to me. We had some Large articulated, off road, rear dump trucks that had self opening and closing gates. They had arms on top of the gates that had chains that ran to the frames. As the bed raised, the chains tightened and pulled the gate open. When let down, gravity closed them again.
Here's a photo and link to the site that shows exactly how they work.
Articulated Tailgates - Philippi-Hagenbuch, Inc.

Attachments

• autodump gate.jpg
    autodump gate.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
   / Any ideas out there on self latching dump gates? #10  
How about a latch like the quick connect 3 point hook ups? They're pretty simple to make