Any news on gas engine CUTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Any news on gas engine CUTS? #11  
A lot of work has been done by gas tractors. I'd rather rebuild a 1 barrel carb than an injector pump. My 1940 and 1941 MMs and my 35 yr old homemade tractor with a Chevy 230 will still do the job. A new modern gas tractor might well be a good seller with gas being a lot cheaper than diesel, and the tractor cheaper to start with.
I'd like to see your 230... I had one that I slightly modified in a 70 Nova. ;)

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #12  
Even better would be compressed natural gas engines none of the long term storage of fuel and most people can let there tractor sit all night for the tank to refil.

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #13  
now that all the price increases have shaken out, I don't think going gas would save enough $$$ to justify it. It would not be a leap at all, Kubota for instance makes many of their diesel blocks with gas heads. IE ZG332 is the same Kubota D1002 block used in the ZD's with a gas head. Awesome engine, but pricey.

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #14  
The thing I would miss most going to gas is the diesel compression braking in my hilly woodlot. I rarely use the brakes even on steep hills. A gas rig just doesn't hold you back that way.
Jim

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #15  
Agreed. Gas would not hold up with the demands of torque requirements on tractors. Would consume a lot of fuel with little payback.
If you don't like the new engines I would look at a 5 year old tractor.

Torque demands ? What ? How did gasoline farm tractors in the past and light equipment today operate ? They made torque . Actuly torque alone Accomplishes nothing.
Take a look at the Nebraska test for tractors with gasoline and Diesel engines in the same model. The gasser made as much or more torque and HP per cubic inch as the diesel.
Gas engines are not concerned with glow plugs, turbos, 30,000 psi injection systems, particulate filters, urea injection, cold weather gelling of fuel and cold weather starting .

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #16  
With the terrible quality of gasoline these days, I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams anyone wanting a gas engine on a tractor. Heck, we didn't even want gas engines on them back when we had good gasoline to use.

I'd be a lot more interested in propane engines than gasoline. Back on the farm, all of our tractors ran on propane . . . mainly because propane was dirt cheap back then. But propane doesn't produce as much power. Then propane got almost as expensive as gas and propane tractors went the way of the dodo bird.

In my opinion, an excellent way for a tractor manufacturer to turn a large fortune into a small one would be to invest heavily in producing tractors with gasoline engines.

Gasoline today is the best it's ever been. Varnish and gum is unheard of today. No lead reduces engine deposites and wear.low sulphur reduces oil contamination and corrosion.

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #17  
With the terrible quality of gasoline these days, I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams anyone wanting a gas engine on a tractor. Heck, we didn't even want gas engines on them back when we had good gasoline to use.

I'd be a lot more interested in propane engines than gasoline. Back on the farm, all of our tractors ran on propane . . . mainly because propane was dirt cheap back then. But propane doesn't produce as much power. Then propane got almost as expensive as gas and propane tractors went the way of the dodo bird.

In my opinion, an excellent way for a tractor manufacturer to turn a large fortune into a small one would be to invest heavily in producing tractors with gasoline engines.

Gasoline today is the best it's ever been. Varnish and gum is unheard of today. No lead reduces engine deposites and wear.low sulphur reduces oil contamination and corrosion.

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #18  
I would say that fuel injection solves a lot of ills of long term sitting and hard starting of the carb machines of the past.
Fuel injected and built to handle ethanol laced gas a modern gas engine tractor should be as or more reliable as a diesel, especially in cold weather starting.

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #19  
Thinking about it if you took the "bones" of something like a Ford 300 straight 6 which itself was used in bunch of stuff that need low end grunt (aircraft tugs etc.) combined with modern engine management you'd have a rugged engine for a tractor.

/ Any news on gas engine CUTS? #20  
Torque demands ? What ? How did gasoline farm tractors in the past and light equipment today operate ? They made torque . Actuly torque alone Accomplishes nothing.
Take a look at the Nebraska test for tractors with gasoline and Diesel engines in the same model. The gasser made as much or more torque and HP per cubic inch as the diesel.
Gas engines are not concerned with glow plugs, turbos, 30,000 psi injection systems, particulate filters, urea injection, cold weather gelling of fuel and cold weather starting .

And they sucked fuel like pigs! Johnny Poppers had 6.25 inch diameter bores....that's where the 'pop' came from - surface area! You can't run the cylinder pressure up on 'em like you can on a diesel. Unless you build the gas engine like a diesel, go to direct gasoline injection, and then you'd have a...........diesel! So just get a diesel if you need low speed / high torque engine....like in tractors.

For those of use forced to subsidize corporate welfare gasohol producers, storage is an issue. Gasohol absorbs water & breaks down faster, despite how much stabilizer you put in it. And it has less energy. Biodiesel isn't as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.