Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear?

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #1  

Robin Veerman

Platinum Member
Tractor
2014 Kioti CK30HST
Hey all,
I've got an older 8 ton hay wagon running gear that I'd like to set up as a mobile wood shed. It's not necessary to pull into the woods to load it up, although I might, but the point is to have it portable to pull it to the house come heating season. Currently I move my firewood into the garage from the woodshed every fall but I'm trying to get my garage storage space back...to use as a garage. Just wondering if anyone has done this and might have a picture or two or even plans to share. I'd like it to store about 3 cords of split wood with some kind of roof over it to keep the rain/snow off of it, yet still let some wind through the wood. Thanks, Dutchy

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #2  
I made these pallet wood storage things out of scrap lumber and tarp trimmings from my hoop barn. The original idea was to stack two rows of wood on each pallet with a gap between the rows, so my tractor could lift them onto my hay wagon. I also made them pretty tall to be able to stack the back row from the front.
I split by hand, so the plan is to take the empty pallets into the woods, drop the trees across the trail and split and stack the wood right in the pallets, and load them on the wagon, drive to the back yard and unload them 10 steps away from the back door where the stove is.
As you can see they are now stuffed with 3 rows of wood and probably too heavy for my tractor, but they are all right at my back door. This year I got a bunch free maple and beech from my neighbor so I just unloaded the trailer right into the pallets. Certainly not pretty but they keep most of the rain and snow off and the wood is much drier than an uncovered pile.
IMG_5610.JPG

• Good Post
Reactions: cj7
   / Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #3  
I have an old running gear and want to do the exact same thing. I have a OWB behind the garage, but my wood yard is about 1000 feet away. want to be able to load the wagon back in the wood yard and let it season there, then tow it up next to the boiler for the winter. Currently I do the pallets like IndyIan posted, however they don't last that long, before the fall apart. Please post any ideas/examples you come across.

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #4  
Like Indylan I went the pallet route. Found a guy selling plastic pallets on Craigslist for $12 each--bought a whole bunch and made firewood holders like this out of 4 so far.

IMG_0215.JPG

firewood reduced.JPG

another route to go is polypropylene bags....
IMG_0433.JPG

affordable and easy to move around using either the lift straps attached at the top of each bag, or simply sitting atop a pallet-which I prefer as it lowers the loader center of gravity over uneven terrain.

Filling the box with split oak pushes the B26 to its limits--it can do it, but even with filled rear tires and box blade on back started lifting rear tire off the ground one day. So we decided to load the good mid-winter split wood in the lighter bags and use the pallet boxes for the scrap limbs and kindling the wifey collects maintaining the property.

Started this system fall 2021--store the wood away from the house and keep it safe and dry. During the winter keep a split pallet and a kindling pallet right outside the back door--so much easier.

To the OP, its not quite the same as your hay wagon--which def sounds promising. For us, dividing the wood onto pallets makes sense bc our firewood comes from many different sources--some is fresh and really green. Each pallet gets a tag with completion date and source of wood. Let's me rotate in the drier material.

Best of luck!

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #5  
if you Google IBC totes for storing firewood you will find many different interesting ideas. with the totes you would be able to make your wagon as a simple flatbed and then stack the totes onto the wagon to haul them. The totes would provide some ventilation for the wood to dry and at the same time make it convenient to tarp them if needed.

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #6  
I think the OP (and I) are more interested in a purpose built firewood shed on wheels. Kinda like this except a little more elegant and with a roof:
1661290186855.png

I also thought this was pretty clever:
1661290230454.png

1661290269611.png

Using the PTO to move the wood closer to the back is the ticket!

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #7  
The airline luggage carts are pretty ideal for firewood storage and they can be hooked together and towed like a train to the house. I have two of them from American Airlines

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #9  
Those luggage carts are sweet! where did you find them?

/ Any pictures/plans of a firewood wagon built on hay wagon running gear? #10  
Those luggage carts are sweet! where did you find them?
My buddy has one, loaded they sink too easily, sitting so low to the ground. You guys must live on some year around hard ground.

SR