Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac?

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #1  

yankeerider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 755
My 16 gal. Sears shop vac is 29 years old. It still works well, but I think it's very loud compared to the newer ones. I'm thinking of purchasing a new one so I don't have to keep moving it between the basement woodshop and metalworking/maintenance shop in the separate building.

Anyone got any recommendations for which machine to buy? I tried a search on shop vac and got about 192 threads, but all were related to using a shop vac for some purpose, not any praise of a particular machine. (Except for one satisfied owner of a Ridgid 14 gal vac)

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #2  
I have had good luck with the Ridgid ones from Home Cheapot. They also have the "mufflers" that quiet them down quite a bit.

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #4  
I second the recommendation of the Rigid shop vac's. My 12 gal 5.0hp Rigid from Home Depot is about 6 years old and still great! It's amazing how powerful it is and how well it sucks up water. :thumbsup:

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #5  
Another thumbs-up for Rigid -- I have two of their 12-gallon wet/dry vacs(one for my home garage and one for my farm shop). Good value for the money IMO.

Steve

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac?
Thanks all. I make way too many trips to the BORG, so it's good to know their machines are liked.

Rekees4300, I'd sure like to have agreen vaccum to share the space with the Gator and 755, but the price looks like it could be steep. Green paint don't come cheap!

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #7  
Rekees4300, I'd sure like to have agreen vaccum to share the space with the Gator and 755, but the price looks like it could be steep. Green paint don't come cheap!

Yeah, there's a hefty premium to pay for the green paint. I don't have a JD vac either. Have an old Craftsman that has seen it's better days. Been a good vac but will consider Rigid the next time. Consumer Reports rates Rigid highly and I no longer shop at Sears since nowadays they seem to be more interested in selling credit cards than merchandise.

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #8  
I have a 12 gallon Craftsman that's a little over 5 years old and I'm quite happy with it. However, I've also helped a son-in-law on a couple of projects so I've used his 16 gallon Ridgid, and like the others wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a Ridgid.

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #9  

I'm not sure whether its green would clash with JD green, but you could spend really big$s and buy a Festool vac. :)

Dust Extractors - Festool

/ Any Recommendations For New Shop Vac? #10  
I bought the wall mount Bissell from Costco. It comes with a 30 ft. hose and reaches all around my machine shop and out the door quite some distance too. I forget what I paid, maybe around $120. Lots of suction power. Don't have to drag the unit over AC cords, mats, etc. Easy to empty the tank. Tells you when it's full. Sucks water, although I don't use it for that.