Any thoughts on this welder?

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #11  
That welder is pretty dinky--only weighs 30 lb. My Hobart Stickmate AC/DC welder weighs 100 lb and has a lot more iron in it--which translates into duty factor.

I had one of those small Harbor Freight DC stick welders about the size of that Weldmate you're looking at. A piece of junk with a pint-size duty factor.

I have the Hobart Stickmate AC/DC unit too. I doubt that lightweight Chinese machine could hold a candle to it. The Stickmate isn't that much more, and it would be a much better choice.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #12  
Gotta agree. I just sold a Sears unit for $75 on Craigs list...

Look there first. Or, in you local classified. You could even put a "wanted" add on Craigslist.

The other one is freecycle. I have seen tools go for free before... It's a Google thing. Google freecycle.

Well in that case, go to Craigslist and shop for a used buzzbox (craftsman, etc.) $99 and you have a welder. Unscale it you need dc... I'd go used (I did, actually, a Miller Thunderbolt). But, my Sears was the best unit to learn with. I did steel, cast iron, plate, overheads, out in the field with a pto generator and all that for $50 a few years ago.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #13  
Look for a used tombstone Lincoln welder. One will come up in your price range.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #14  
After working with a couple of Chinese made welders and plasma cutters I won't go there again. Specifically the plasma cutter worked for about a year doing on and off again projects (not many) unit sat in the garage over the winter. Needed it this last spring and all it would do is the pilot arc. Can't get it repaired so found a heavier duty one from northern tools on sale. Best purchase I've made. As far as welders even if I only welded once and a while I'd go with Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. If you can take your time check out estate/garage sales, craigslist, thrifty nickel for a sweet deal.

Good luck.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #15  
I just got rid of my old Lincoln AC-only welder, and got the afformentioned Hobart AC/DC Stickmate. Spend the extra money for the DC if you can. It allows you a larger selection of electrodes, easier starts and restarts, and the spatter level is reduced. I've made some of my best welds on this machine. I like it alot. And the money stays in the USA. Look it up on Northerntool.com. Free shipping, and no tax.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #16  
Ya know, as I look at that welder, it has a pigtail with no plug on it. Figure on a 220v plug for that cord being another 15 bucks at least. Go Hobart!!!

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #17  
Ya know, as I look at that welder, it has a pigtail with no plug on it. Figure on a 220v plug for that cord being another 15 bucks at least. Go Hobart!!!

The reason for this is it gives the user the option to use whatever plug he/she wishes.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #18  
i've got the 160amp version of that welder, sold in canada by weldking. works great, i've burnt about 50-60 lbs of 1/8" 7018, 316, and 309 with it. but. the other day it blew the Thermistors, no problem to get it fixed under the 3 year warrenty. can't say i'm happy that it quit, but it's not my old welder, and works great for what we bought it for. we've had it 3 month's, and use it a fair amount.

that is a DC welder, it uses inverter technoligy, which is why it's so small. i've used brand name versions of the same sized machine, and they are alot nicer to weld with, most of the time. some times the chineese works better.... for your plans. go for it

/ Any thoughts on this welder?
Correct me if I'm wrong. I am looking at this welder because A. It is cheap for how I use a welder. B. because it is an inverter, and hopefully with less current draw, I'm thinking I can use it with my 5000 watt generator which has a 220 volt plug but with only a 20 amp output socket which seems problematic with the 205 amp Hobart AC welder. Otherwise I would have to consider a mig welder.

/ Any thoughts on this welder? #20  
Looks like another China made P.O.S. to me.