Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #151  
Yes, my love affair with sporty cars started with my first one. I bought an old, ragged out Austin Healy 106 (precursor to the 3000) in 1967. I loved that car even though it was sort of "doggy" in its class. I totalled it in 1968 after all my restoration work and sold it for parts. I wasn't able to afford another sporty car until 1974 when I bought a new Dodge Charger. With all the pollution controls it was sort of doggy for what it was too. Life circumstances put additional sporty cars on hold for an extended period of time. 1987 changed that with a Mazda RX 7. Sold it and bought a first edition 1993 Firebird Formula in July of that year. What a fun car, the first one in Kentucky according to the dealer. LS1 series engine with a 6 speed manual transmission. Then in 1996 bought a Cadillac El Dorado, nice car, but the electrical system was a POC! Sold it and got a MB SLK 230 Kompressor, that may have been the most fun car I have ever owned. Not a pin you to the seat performer, but oh, what handling. With a 5 speed manual transmission it was a hoot! Then in 2002 traded it for the SLK 320, a really pretty car, but a dog performer. Traded it in 2005 for the SLK 350, nice car good performance, great looks and fun to drive. Dropped a valve in it in 2008 and traded it in for something with a rear seat with the arrival of grandchildren. Moved up to the CLK series and bought a 550 with the AMG package. This is my favorite car of all times. Solid performer with 382 HP and great handling. With the 6 speed automatic and manual paddle shifting it is great. 0-60 in 5 seconds and limited top end at 164 mph. It's a 2009 and they don't make it anymore. I wanted to get the 63 AMG version after I drove a used one on the lot, but it's no longer available:( We test drove the new E series coupe which is longer than the CLK, but not as wide. It does not have the handling in curves and the ride seems stiffer. I may try BMW to see what they have in a 2 door couple, but most of theirs have the post and I like the hardtop. I wish I could have afforded something like these when I was a kid, but then I probably would have crashed it and possibly not have survived. I quit road biking in 1977 after I was T-boned by a car that ran a stop sign. Couldn't dirt bike after that either due to knee damage. The tail of the Dragon is a great road for a good handling car. It seems perfect for the Cooper mini GT. I may have to try one of them.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #152  
Don't know if i loaded the photo correctly (first time) Anyway, i hope there is a photo of my other fun seat time machine...

Attachments

• Porsche 356C (1964) 022.jpg
    Porsche 356C (1964) 022.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Porsche 356C (1964) 025.jpg
    Porsche 356C (1964) 025.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Porsche 356C (1964) 038.jpg
    Porsche 356C (1964) 038.jpg
    780.8 KB · Views: 115
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #153  
Don't know if i loaded the photo correctly (first time) Anyway, i hope there is a photo of my other fun seat time machine...

That's a really nicely restored 356, Mike!!!

Do you do your own maintenance, or do you have a shop you go to?

Reason I ask, when I had my 911, I used to help out (go-fer, mostly) at Ralph's Auto Service (Ralph Simmers). He was brought up on the 356's and is pretty knowledgeable about them.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #154  
Roy:
Thanks! I have not had the car long, but plan on using what I've learned from working on outdoor equipment to do my own "maintenance". As with my tractors/mowers, I want to make sure it's done right. There are very few, if any, 356 experts in MD (some in PA I've heard of), so I'll take a name in the event I run into something over my head. I figure I can do the basic maint, (parts ordered) but would seek a pro in the event of a "repair".

The car's restoration took two years in 2006 and was performed by Bruce Baker Enterprises in Collegeville PA.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #155  
Roy:
Thanks! I have not had the car long, but plan on using what I've learned from working on outdoor equipment to do my own "maintenance". As with my tractors/mowers, I want to make sure it's done right. There are very few, if any, 356 experts in MD (some in PA I've heard of), so I'll take a name in the event I run into something over my head. I figure I can do the basic maint, (parts ordered) but would seek a pro in the event of a "repair".

The car's restoration took two years in 2006 and was performed by Bruce Baker Enterprises in Collegeville PA.

If you're in the Reisterstown/Ownings Mills/Glyndon/Hunt Valley area, you might want to look into Ralph's.
He's in the Porsche Club (and if you aren't, you should join...especially considering you own a 356).
Nice cars...main thing is rust...it's a killer on those old Porsches.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #157  
If you're in the Reisterstown/Ownings Mills/Glyndon/Hunt Valley area, you might want to look into Ralph's.
He's in the Porsche Club (and if you aren't, you should join...especially considering you own a 356).
Nice cars...main thing is rust...it's a killer on those old Porsches.

Those areas are not far from me...thanks. I'll check into the company.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #158  
N80, I think I know what you are looking for. I haven't read all of the posts, but the ones I saw seemed to have missed what you were trying to express. Back in the "old days" (muscle car era and before), there were the "sportscar buffs". Horse power was nice if you had it, but these poeple simply had a lust for the feel of the road, and it's interaction with a piece of traction grabbing machinery. Many of us are now old enough that puttering around on a tractor provides adequate stimulation. But, there's something to be said for the exileration of feeling a real road car going through its paces and you having the "touch" needed to meld road, car and driver. That's probably where the magazine got its name. If you have not experienced it before, I understand why you are mesmerized. I have achieved many of the things that men lust after in their lives ie: owned a Colt .45 automatic, a Porsche and a Harley(when much younger). I still fish in the ocean for unknown sea creatures, and have in the past, had the opportunity to maul around on a really large breasted woman(also when I was much younger). But if I had my choice for a day, it would be the road car. Back to your original thread, some people may not consider your car to be a sports car because it is too cushy or is a coupe instead of a roadster. But the measure of a sports machine is in the quality of its running gear and its ability to allow you to master the road. Yours is a fine machine and I envy your newfound joy.

Last edited:
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #159  
Ain't no American Sport Car's. Well maybe the latter Corvette's and the Viper. Sport car's have to be agile and easily controlable but most important they must be able to go around corners at unreasonable speeds and stay in the proper lane on the road. They also should hold no more than two people. And they have to be able to stop.:thumbsup:

The muscle cars are just straight line drivers.:D