Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too?
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #12  
I found that when riding any of the sportbikes on a daily basis, I got used to the speed to where it didn't impress me as much, didn't put that big grin on my face all the time. It wasn't until I started driving my car or truck everyday & only rode the bike once a month or so that I started getting that shocking "HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS FAST!!!" thrill again. It is really amazing how much acceleration they can get out of a daily driver capable internal combustion engine.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #13  
Sorry, none handy. The typical 954RR red/black paint scheme with a full Akrapovic exhaust (sweet sound), power commander, Scotts steering dampener and riding on Michelin Pilots. Not as sharp looking as the 06-07 1000rr though - that bike in black/black or charcoal/black/red really stands out.

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #14  
Sorry, none handy. The typical 954RR red/black paint scheme with a full Akrapovic exhaust (sweet sound), power commander, Scotts steering dampener and riding on Michelin Pilots. Not as sharp looking as the 06-07 1000rr though - that bike in black/black or charcoal/black/red really stands out.

This?

fireblade.gif

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #16  
I'm only 33, don't know if I'll be able to tell when my MLC happens. Had a mustang a few years back, now I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. 2003 Dodge 2500, 5.9 cummins bigger Turbo and a chip and the obnoxious straight pipe. I can leave black marks wile Towing a 33' fifth wheel camper. Don't corner too bad with the heavy springs either. It'll go or tow! !!!!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #17  
My last sports car was a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger with all the dealer installed factory vended and authorized performance options.

For those unfamiliar with the Tiger (and somehow missed the TV series "Get Smart" where the hero drove one in the opening shot starting the show each episode) it looks a bit like an MG-B but instead of the 4 cyl 1725 cc engine used in the Sunbeam Alpine, which shared the same body, it had a hypo Ford Mustang V-8 engine and Ford HEH box for the tranny.

It was originally designed by one of Carol Shelby's guys (Yes, that Shelby of Cobra fame.) who shoehorned the Ford V-8 into the little English 2 seater. The 289 (some went out to 302) version was a panic to drive. The first models used 260 V-8 which with the custom Vic Edelbrock intake manifold and Holly competition 4 bbl carb and solid lifters, Hypo Ford racing cam, tuned equal length headers with dumps, electronic magneto etc... would top out at 165MPH. That was for a car considered stock as it was all factory provided stuff.

Not intended for drag racing, it would only turn 108 MPH in 13 flat with 4.56 diff and Willys J series posilock anti slip and cheater slicks. I ran 2.88:1 rear end and it was a fast cruiser, you betcha but a bit of a dog off the line untill you got a couple K revs than brace your neck! Conservative shift points (6000 RPM out of available 7500) were approximately 60, 90, and 120 MPH. Well set up Tigers ate Vettes on a road course or slalom.

Sorry no pix. Car predated digital era. Somewhere I have some Super 8 MM clips.

Sunbeam Tiger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pat

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #18  
Sports cars are impractical so I don't own one. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll buy a Ferrari!

/ Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #19  
Yeah, it's a diesel too.....

HS

Attachments

• IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 235
   / Any Tractor Guys Into Sports Cars Too? #20  
After a Viet Nam cruise, I bought my first sport car, an E-Type Jaguar coupe. Those E-Types were definitely a beautiful car. During a tour of duty in Italy (Jag was stored while I was away), I had a couple Alfa Romeros and a Fiat Dino (big (for Italy) coupe with the Ferrari Dino V6).
Sold the Jag a few years after my return from Italy and bought a Volvo 242GT. Although Volvos have never been known as sports cars or coupes, the 242GT was quite a bit quicker then BMW's 320 series sports coupes of that era (late 1970's, early '80's).
When to Porsches after that....first a 1982 944, then a '77 911S.
Of all of them, the 911S was the best sports car (as compared to a GT car). Built a hot engine (dual triple downdraft Webers and a sport (i.e.racing) exhaust). Really a sweet machine!
Finally, after 15 years, I sold the Porsche...got my first tractor a year or so later.
So, I went from a 140 MPH sports car to an 11 MPH tractor. Of course, with the 4400 Deere I own now, I'm all the way up to 15.6 MPH!!

I doubt I ever buy another sports car...although I do still look at Porsches and if I ever won a lottery, I'd have another one.

Since I'm reminiscing....when I was in Italy, I looked into buying a sports machne to bring back to the States after my tour was done. There were two I was pretty serious about: Maserati Mistral coupe (very solid and well built machine, but the Lucas fuel injection scared me off) and a Dino Ferrari 246GT (one of the sexiest cars ever built!!!). Didn't buy either...sometimes I kick my ***** over that...

Last edited: