Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half?

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #61  
It was my privelege to drive the 6 x 6 in the scrub mountains of Camp Bullis Texas doing training exercises for other units. The military drivers training had me rated for litter jeeps and ambulances as well. Since we weren't being shot at, it was fun. They also taught some good maintenace habits. In the fifties, the duece 1/2 had automatic transmission and worked well in the arid Texas country. That TATRA looks kinda wussy to me.:D

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #62  
Builder said:
Figures they used the Tatra chassis. Must make driving into battle a lot less fatiguing.

How sad our own American manufacturing can no longer produce an entire military vehicle without foreign help.

Maybe we should get the Chinese to build them even cheaper and they can make the frames out of melamine :rolleyes:

We've been using the m249 saw and m240 machine guns for decades, both designed and built by FN, of Belgium. Also the Beretta M9 pistol from Italy. All these contracts require they build plants here to make them.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #63  
We've been using the m249 saw and m240 machine guns for decades, both designed and built by FN, of Belgium. Also the Beretta M9 pistol from Italy. All these contracts require they build plants here to make them.

Makes me feel better, but it's still sad we can build a military truck or a gun from a domestic supplier.
Trucks? Guns? I thought those were in the fabric of American life. :(

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #64  
Makes me feel better, but it's still sad we can build a military truck or a gun from a domestic supplier.
Trucks? Guns? I thought those were in the fabric of American life. :(

Technically, they are domestic suppliers since they are manufactured in the United States (don't know about the others, but the Beretta M9 is manufactured at a plant in southern MD...little place named Accokeek).

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #65  
Technically, they are domestic suppliers since they are manufactured in the United States (don't know about the others, but the Beretta M9 is manufactured at a plant in southern MD...little place named Accokeek).

FN has got a plant in Columbia SC. They make M16's, M249's, M240's as well as the good old M2 .50 cal as well as other military and sporting arms.
They own Browning as well as Winchester.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #66  
OP
I bought a m35 a2 w/w,heater, hard top off GL . It had 15 k miles W/1200 hrs. and had been over hauled 6 months b4 i bought it . The oils ,filter all new,greased, & drove it to the shippers lot . Then drove it up on the trailer without any ramps.. awsome! paid $3000 + 800 shipping I use it around my farm mostly ..puts a smile on me and my dogs face everytime we drive drive it . Does not require cdl to drive it on the road .. It will haul 900 gal of water no problem . It will make a great SHTF vehicle if needed
last year On gov liq at wright patterson Ohio. they had 10-11 pinsgiures (sp)? extreme off roads 6x6 I bid on but lost & sold for 11 k. The TATRA looks alot like the pinzgaures designs
ak9

Attachments

• duece.jpg
    duece.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 608
   / Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #67  
My grandpa bought an M35 A2 back around '98, used it in his firewood business for road maintenance in the woods. You could here him coming down the road from a long way off (whistler turbo). Then in 2004 my uncle bought & exported 2 more for a logging operation in Central America. Tough beasts, those trucks. They flipped one coming down the mountain with a load of logs, they brought an excavator in to set it back up and drove it home.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #68  
RoyJackson said:

Yep, I live very close to that plant. My great uncle was employed there a long time back, as was my old gym teacher. A lot goes on in Southern MD that most would find surprising.

And to the OP. I would love to have one for farm chores and light, local equipment hauling for us and friend's farms. Also be great for recovering trucks in remote places.

Kyle

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #69  
Yep, I live very close to that plant. My great uncle was employed there a long time back, as was my old gym teacher. A lot goes on in Southern MD that most would find surprising.

Kyle

I went there for a job interview there several years ago. They put us up in a Motel in La Plata or Waldorf (I forget which).
Boy, you get searched going in...and you get searched coming out. Pretty secure place...

No, I didn't get the job...and neither my wife or I wanted to live in MD.

/ Anybody bought a retired 6x6 deuce and a half? #70  
OP
I bought a m35 a2 w/w,heater, hard top off GL . It had 15 k miles W/1200 hrs. and had been over hauled 6 months b4 i bought it . The oils ,filter all new,greased, & drove it to the shippers lot . Then drove it up on the trailer without any ramps.. awsome! paid $3000 + 800 shipping I use it around my farm mostly ..puts a smile on me and my dogs face everytime we drive drive it . Does not require cdl to drive it on the road .. It will haul 900 gal of water no problem . It will make a great SHTF vehicle if needed
last year On gov liq at wright patterson Ohio. they had 10-11 pinsgiures (sp)? extreme off roads 6x6 I bid on but lost & sold for 11 k. The TATRA looks alot like the pinzgaures designs
ak9

It is the other way around Pinzgauer looks like Tatra design. Tatra used to make vehicles with swing axles way before Pinzgauer even existed. Tatra was selling first vehicle with swing axles in 1923. In fact Tatra is the third oldest car manufacturer after Daimler Benz and Pegueot.