Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics

/ Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics #21  
I would not have used teflon tape for NPT fittings. Since the fittings have typically sharp threads, shreads of the tape may eventually get into the hydraulic system. And the sealing is an interference fit, teflon tape just isn't the right sealant for that job. A teflon based paste is what is normally used. This has been discussed here many times.

/ Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics #22  
MadReferee said:
teflon tape just isn't the right sealant for that job.
Strongly concur. Somewhere down the line there's a valve or reducer or divertor just waiting to be clogged with teflon debris. Pipe thread compound definitely.

//greg//

/ Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics
I realize that there have been some discussions on paste VS tape and consensus on TBN is paste but my tractor has tape used on all fittings its what my dealer reccommended and I asked the folks at Hydraulic Supply yesterday when I was picking up the reducers for the cylinder if they sold any sort of hydraulic fitting sealant and they said they just used the white teflon tape as well. I did this on my living room floor with my magnifying glasses on, made sure I did not tape over the first threads and don't intend to ever take these fittings apart, should I have to to replace hoses or whatever I'll be very careful again in removing any and all tape from the disassembled pieces. In this case I think I'm OK, A thought though since were discussing paste I have an old plastic bottle of the white teflon paste and the lid gets kinda cruddy with little dried or hardish balls and pieces of the paste around the lid wouldn't old paste that was on fittings be just as bad for valves and such were it to get loose into the hyd system the same way that tape would if using a old part in reassembly?
Steve

/ Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics #24  
stevenf said:
In this case I think I'm OK, A thought though since were discussing paste I have an old plastic bottle of the white teflon paste and the lid gets kinda cruddy with little dried or hardish balls and pieces of the paste around the lid wouldn't old paste that was on fittings be just as bad for valves and such were it to get loose into the hyd system the same way that tape would if using a old part in reassembly?
It sounds like you took reasonable precautions, but there's still no substitute for the "right tool for the job ". Consider products like http://68.72.74.108/Threadsealant_hydraulic.htm in the future, and maybe think about doing business with folks who have enough consideration for their customers NOT to use tape.

//greg//

/ Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics #25  
stevenf said:
I realize that there have been some discussions on paste VS tape and consensus on TBN is paste but my tractor has tape used on all fittings its what my dealer reccommended and I asked the folks at Hydraulic Supply yesterday when I was picking up the reducers for the cylinder if they sold any sort of hydraulic fitting sealant and they said they just used the white teflon tape as well. I did this on my living room floor with my magnifying glasses on, made sure I did not tape over the first threads and don't intend to ever take these fittings apart, should I have to to replace hoses or whatever I'll be very careful again in removing any and all tape from the disassembled pieces. In this case I think I'm OK, A thought though since were discussing paste I have an old plastic bottle of the white teflon paste and the lid gets kinda cruddy with little dried or hardish balls and pieces of the paste around the lid wouldn't old paste that was on fittings be just as bad for valves and such were it to get loose into the hyd system the same way that tape would if using a old part in reassembly?
Steve
I have used paste in the past. Matter of a fact, I have used at least four different brands of the stuff. When I have had leaks, 90% of them were when I used paste or close to that number. Given my personal record with paste, don't use it anymore. I am sure that it has to be working for some people. With tape, a person has to make sure that there are no tape remnants in or on the fitting before they are put together and make sure that the ends are wrapped correctly.

Steven,
Issues come up when things have been slopped everything together. You will be just fine, because it sounds like you took you time to do it right.

BTW, Back on topic. That's a good looking cylinder. Let us all know how it works out. I wish that BareCo would carry a Cat. 1 cylinder. Given the way the market has changed it looks like someone else would pick them up. The last time Mark Carter had them, I missed out. Next time, I will try to get one.

/ Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics
OK I caved and got some teflon paste, I had to disassemble the hose adapters and install restrictors, even with the 1/4" hoses the bigger cylinder was still moving to fast for precise positioning so when I dissassembled the pieces, cleaned out the tape which by the way was a pain since ya'll got me worried about all the stuff it could effect if it got loose in my hyd system and then reinstalled everything that I took apart with teflon paste. No leaks upon startup and the cylinder now moves nice and slow. It is a monster of a cylinder compared to the one I was using that comes with the Beltec Augers and with the anti creep valve it is much better suited to heavy implement usage. Thanks to everybody that responded I'll keep ya'll posted on how the cylinder does over time, its a good test for it since I'm using it with a 90 Hp tractor if you hooked it up to a smaller unit I don't think you could ever hurt it.
Steve

/ Anybody ever ordered from Bare-Co Hydraulics #27  
Steve,
Clean, clean, clean. That is biggest problem with the way some people assemble hydraulics. It is amazing the way that I have seen some people put assemblies together. Then, they get mad when the customer brings it back. Sounds like you are doing it right. You shouldn't have any problems.