Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series?

/ Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series? #21  
.....You can move that tractor on a 12,000 lb 20 ft trailer. A typical 12,000 lb trailer weighs about 2500 lbs, so your payload is 9,500. You can pull this with a well equipped 3/4 ton pickup.....

I dont believe you can according to manufacture specifactations on the hitch--unless you are speaking of class IV??? Certainly not a stock hitch and definently not brand C or F ;)

/ Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series? #22  
Trails,

The newer trucks can be equipped with a 12,000 lb hitch it use to be the limit was 10,000. If you look back you will see I use a class V hitch which is rated for 14,000 lbs. Mine has a 2.5" reciever not a 2" one. I am in favor of playing it safe.

/ Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series? #23  
A little off track with the trailer/towing discussion - but very good information, nonetheless.

I'm currently working through the wool-gathering information stages for a new cab tractor. So, the 5000 tractor series - hand's on review - is good stuff, thanks.

And; I'm also wrestling with either buying a Class V hitch to mate up with my current 14K 20ft. tilt-bed trailer. Or, going with a new, 25ft. goose-neck trailer.

Interesting take from Steve on goose-neck vs bumper-pull...

AKfish

/ Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series?
A little off track with the trailer/towing discussion - but very good information, nonetheless.

I'm currently working through the wool-gathering information stages for a new cab tractor. So, the 5000 tractor series - hand's on review - is good stuff, thanks.

And; I'm also wrestling with either buying a Class V hitch to mate up with my current 14K 20ft. tilt-bed trailer. Or, going with a new, 25ft. goose-neck trailer.

Interesting take from Steve on goose-neck vs bumper-pull...

AKfish

I'm glad someone is getting use out of the review. If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer. I've now had the tractor for 4 months. I haven't had a lick of trouble and am still very pleased with the purchase.

As for the trailer, I prefer the way a gooseneck pulls. It feels much more stable to me and is somewhat easier to maneuver. However, Steve makes a very good point with the weight of goosenecks. If I had a dually again, I'd take the gooseneck as I would have room to spare with the tow rating, but with my truck now, I'd go with a class 5 and a tag trailer. Another thing to consider with the gooseneck (mine anyway) is that the center of gravity is much higher.

/ Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series? #25  
I thank you for your review. I am currently looking to trade a 2950 farm tractor on the 5101e but am a little hesitant on the 4 cylinder turbocharge motor versus the 6 cylinder raw power that I have now. I am also seeing some concerns regarding the weight of the tractor and using the loader. I don't plan to use it daily with the loader but when we clean out the barn yard, pile silage, clean out pens, gravel the farm lane, and such it would be nice to now have to worry about weight capacity. I am not a tall guy but at 6'2" I find the seat to be a little close to the steering wheel.

So for my questions, do you take the loader off/on between uses or simply remove the bucket? Do you find the hydraulics to be strong enough for the loader? Have you worked any ground w/ the machine (pulled a disc/chisel/harrow)?

and a question for the masses...does anyone know if there is a buddy seat available for these models? I see anchors in the fendor but the dealer didn't think one was available yet.

anyway, I much appreciate the review.

I've got the 553 loader. I believe you can get larger loaders on this model, but I really see no need. I've spent quite a bit of time on backhoes and have gotten used to the capacity and speed of their loaders. It's hard to match that with a farm tractor, and I was very skeptical when I first picked up this tractor. I've been very pleasantly surprised. It's definitely not as fast as a backhoe loader, but I've used it quite a bit and have yet to come close to it's limit. So far, I regularly move around 1600 # bales of hay. I've graveled about 1500 lf of driveway with crushed concrete and brick mix and moved various piles of dirt, implements, etc. It hasn't yet hesitated, nor even slowed down in the slightest. I've been surprised that even with a full bucket of gravel or a bale of hay, I don't even need to throttle up. It lifts everything at idle engine speed. My tractor, with loaded tires and the loader attached weighs close to 10,000 #. In my experience, it has been very stable, no matter what I've got on the loader. Even without a 3ph implement to offset the weight, it seems stable. In fact, until you mentioned the weight in your post, I hadn't even thought about being underweight while using the loader. I've yet to take the loader off. I haven't really found a need. I remove the bucket fairly often to use the spear, but I haven't taken the loader itself off. I really can't see any reason that I ever will. It doesn't seem to be in the way at all.

As for the turbocharged 4 cyl, I certainly haven't wished for more power yet either. I bought a little more tractor than I needed, though just for that reason. I didn't ever want to wish for more power. I've not used a 6 cyl, so I cannot give a comparison, though.

I have used some ground engaging equipment. I use a disc harrow often, although a smaller one (6'). You literally can't even tell it's there. The only other ground engaging equipment I've used is a subsoiler and a box blade. They weren't an issue at all.

The steering wheel is personal preference, obviously, but it surprises me that anyone would think it's too close. Being adjustable, it can either be in your lap or in the vertical position, which I find to be a stretch to reach (and I'm 6' 220#). If it would help you, I can take a picture of my leg room with the wheel in the vertical position and another with it where I use it. That way you could better picture how much room there is. Just let me know if that would be helpful and I'll post it in this thread.

All in all, for the work that you are describing, I wouldn't give second thought to the weight of the tractor, nor the capacity of the loader. I do the same types of jobs and it performs well. The only limitation is the maneuverability due to size, but you should be used to that with your 2950.

I have no idea about the availability of a buddy seat, but I don't think there is really enough room for it in this cab. I sometimes carry my 90# lab with me, but it is cramped. My wife has ridden short distances sitting on the wheel well and it is very cramped. I imagine a buddy seat would be very uncomfortable. Edit: just to clarify, I think there is plenty of room in the cab for me and I don't feel cramped at all when its just me working, but with someone else it definitely gets tight.

Good luck with your search.

Just to add, I think you'll REALLY like the power reverser on this tractor. Makes loader work much more enjoyable.

/ Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series? #28  
I'm glad someone is getting use out of the review. If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer. I've now had the tractor for 4 months. I haven't had a lick of trouble and am still very pleased with the purchase.

I too got some use from your review, thank you. I am awaiting a 5083E myself. I have read about problems with the 4wd, Park position, and differential lock. I've heard it can be quite a struggle to get it in and out of 4wd. Also that the Park position is very hard to find and you have to jam it in to stay in park. Lastly that the diff. lock has to be "hit with a mallot to engage. Ironically the 5093 I test drove was stuck in 4wd and had to be fixed. Have you had any problems with any of these? Just wondering if I have any headaches to look forward to. TIA

I too got some use from your review, thank you. I am awaiting a 5083E myself. I have read about problems with the 4wd, Park position, and differential lock. I've heard it can be quite a struggle to get it in and out of 4wd. Also that the Park position is very hard to find and you have to jam it in to stay in park. Lastly that the diff. lock has to be "hit with a mallot to engage. Ironically the 5093 I test drove was stuck in 4wd and had to be fixed. Have you had any problems with any of these? Just wondering if I have any headaches to look forward to. TIA

None of those at all. MFWD is very easy to engage. It is only supposed to be engaged from a stop and at worst I've had to let it roll a little to get it to engage just like a jeep or other 4wd. The majority of the time it just goes with not even a slight issue.

The park position I have had zero issue with. First I've heard of it.

The diff lock I've used very little. I've engaged it probably five times and have had no problem at all. It's a little awkward to move your foot in that direction and apply pressure, but it isn't difficult.

The only thing I can think of along those lines that I could warn you about is the PTO lever. It takes some strength to engage it, but I wouldn't call it an issue. I never really noticed it until my wife was helping me dig some holes with a post hole digger a couple of weeks ago while building a pole barn. She had a hard time with it and I ended up pulling the lever myself. I think she could have done it, she just thought she was doing something wrong.

I hope I don't come across as defensive in any of these posts. I'm trying to honestly address the issues that you all have heard or read. If I've noticed an issue, believe me, I'll be upfront about it. I'm not a JD dealer or anything. I would have appreciated an honest review when I bought mine and I am happy to report any issues I have, I just haven't had any yet. In my area, the majority of my seat time is mowing and having bought this tractor in September, I only had a couple of months of hard use. Cutting season is just around the corner and maybe I'll have a more complete review toward the middle of summer. As of this post, I've put about 38 hours on the machine since I bought it. I'll likely triple that this summer. I'll update this post as I come up with more.

/ Anyone care for a review on the new 5E Limited series? #30  
I hope I don't come across as defensive in any of these posts. I'm trying to honestly address the issues that you all have heard or read. If I've noticed an issue, believe me, I'll be upfront about it. I'm not a JD dealer or anything. I would have appreciated an honest review when I bought mine and I am happy to report any issues I have, I just haven't had any yet. In my area, the majority of my seat time is mowing and having bought this tractor in September, I only had a couple of hard use.

No worries, didn't come across as defensive at all. Thanks for the input. I too have noticed this site is geared more toward CUT's, 4000s and lower if JD, etc. So it's nice to find poeple with similar machines and their take on them. I'll probably do a review my self at the end of the summer after it has been put through its paces. Thanks again!