Anyone check their injector timing?

/ Anyone check their injector timing? #1  

Retlaw 66

Tractor
L-275 4x4
Finally got my L275 back together after an engine rebuild. Still has difficulty starting, and just seems sluggish and unresponsive....just like it did before the rebuild.
Decided to troubleshoot the injection system.
1) Injector test...Pulled the injectors, swung the lines over so I could put a bucket under the injectors. Cranked the engine over, and all injectors look operational.
2) Injector timing...Found two marks on the flywheel....
1 TC....that would be top center for #1 cylinder.
1 FI.....would that be the timing mark to set the injection pump?

I turned the engine over by hand until I saw the slightest fuel movement from the pump outlet for Cyl #1. Did that a dozen times until I was sure of the exact flywheel position. It was injecting too late.
3) Removed 0.014" of shims from the 0.037" shim stack to get the timing right. I'm surprised it was off so much.

I'll put it back together tomorrow and fire it up again. Sure hope that solves the problem! If not, Guess I'll have to get the injectors and pump professionally tested.

So my question....Am I using the proper flywheel mark....the '1 FI' stamp?
and do I go by the first instant of fuel movement from the pump outlet?

Walt

/ Anyone check their injector timing?
Rebuilding my first diesel has certainly been a learning experience! Kinda fun actually.
Put it back together yesterday and fired it up. Got a nasty knocking sound from #3 cylinder. Sounded like pre-ignition, but why on only one cylinder? Cracked open the fuel line at the injector, and the noise went away... cracked open the other 2 fuel lines, and the rpm's stumbled. That narrowed it down to one cylinder.
Took the #3 injector apart and gave it a good rinsing. Put it together today and it's running fine! Took it for a few laps around the field, and all is well.

I'd still like some input from someone that has adjusted injection timing before....specificly need to know exactly when you mark the flywheel...is it at the first instance the fuel begins to move from the pump outlet?