Anyone else do random acts of kindness?

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #51  
"If You Build It They Will Come." I have very much hated, to have come to that conclusion.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #52  
I use to be involved with what one could call the homelessness problem. This had been solved in the late 90's in my area for all the local people in need. Then something else happened. And I don't think anyone knows yet, what to do about it. People just started moving here and making tents and living off these good natured community services, which I worked in. And then, they came here, in huge waves cause the services were so good, compared to other areas. This ethos of local goodwill, has been taken advantage by outside folks that just want their next fix of drugs, and trash everything around them. This has been formalized as a homeless problem. It is not a homeless issue. It is an addiction and/or mental health issue. And those on the street, don't want to be helped. They ARE living their best life with their addiction/or illness to the destruction of all around them, which they don't care about. They just get the goods, that so many people still want to provide. And they do take away, from the locals, that which most people think the given resources are going. So.... "The pay it Forward," concept to me, has a a whole new meaning and it has worked out badly.
That's a common concern. I was raised to believe that God helps those who help themselves...But also to give a hand to people who are less fortunate. Yet what I see is that often the first time people ask for help it's tough; yet after a while they become dependent on it. I also am finding that all charities want is money; I was trying to find out if any of the home heating places could use the 550 gallons of #2 which is left over from the greenhouse; yet there is not even an avenue to make such a donation. I also contacted a food pantry to see if they would like 1/2 of a pig this fall; again, no reply at all. I did end up giving it to a local pantry through the butcher I went to.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #53  
When I got through with building my house, there was some extra in supplies left over, So I called the local charity that was supposed to be working on habitats. "Here I got all this stuff, and I would love to volunteer on your next projects." And they gently said, they didn't want any material goods, or volunteer labor: But that they would take a check. :)

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #54  
When I got through with building my house, there was some extra in supplies left over, So I called the local charity that was supposed to be working on habitats. "Here I got all this stuff, and I would love to volunteer on your next projects." And they gently said, they didn't want any material goods, or volunteer labor: But that they would take a check. :)
In my opinion, what that does is remove the satisfaction of doing good and helping people. Anybody can write a check, but if you actually interact with or meet the people you are helping, they are more than just a blip in your checkbook or another dollar out of your pocket for taxes. In other words, rather than people they are merely numbers.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #55  
When the local eatery where a couple of friends and I ate breakfast on Saturday mornings had to shut down indoor dining and serve only takeout orders, we still phoned in our orders and picked them up. I made sure that each time we picked up the orders they got a $20 tip to help make up for lost wages, even though the other guys were kind of tight wads, I shamed them into donating.

A few months ago at the same restaurant, the one older waitress who, with her husband and grandson, lived in a rented house on the north side of town, told about another woman patron heard that the house was for sale and that they would most likely face increased rent or eviction when it sold, bought the house and told the waitress her family could stay there as long as they desired for free.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #56  
I do, but likely not frequently enough. I once gave bicycles anonymously to a couple of deserving middle school kids - I had asked the principal to pick one deserving girl and one boy. And a while back, I learned that a girl in our office was living in a studio apartment with no refrigerator. I went out and bought a used one and after arranging things with a friend of hers, I delivered it to the apartment. I told the friend to tell her that someone was moving and couldn't take it with them - as an explanation. As far as I know, she never knew otherwise. And, of course, there are the frequent opportunities to do small things as we are out and about. I like to refer it as doing good things and not getting caught at it.

And every year we take 2-3 pickup loads of firewood to a lady and her 96 year old husband - it is how they heat their house. It isn't all neat and corded-up, but they say it helps them immensely. There are always trees around here down, and we have way more than we can use. I won't however, let people I don't know come onto the property to get the wood - too many might just see something else I have that they decide they could use.

Last edited:
   / Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #57  

That is different from the Amish/Mennonite charities. My wife and her homemakers clubs take frozen meals to people when they move into the Mennonite built homes springing up around town. The first dedication I attended with her was something. All the workers gathered in the house. 90% with the black garb on but also non-Mennonite contractors who provided labor. When it was time for the ceremony to start they couldn't find the guy who led the group. He and I were in a back bedroom talking or maybe arguing a little bit. I said I would like to donate to their work. After talking for thirty minutes I realized he was doing everything he could to not provide an address to send a check to, a phone number to call, or any way to donate money. He would not take cash or a check to buy gloves, bandaids, bottled water, or anything else for the workers. He said they didn't need the help and the work provided a way for their youth to help the communities that needed help. I was thoroughly impressed.

I was more impressed with the workmanship displayed in the house. I was also shocked that the women and girls would carry on a conversation with me. Of course they had on dresses covered with various colors of paint. Paint was on their bonnets, on their faces and hands, and in their hair. I guess they do all the painting.

One other thing. When I mentioned FEMA to the Amish foreman he actually spit on the floor. Said they had to push the Red Cross, FEMA, the local city government, and a couple more organizations out of the way to do any work.

As a side note. At about the third or fourth house dedication we attended the teenaged high school senior daughter of one of the local officials came into the house just after the ceremony started. She is on the high school track team and came right after practice. With her track running uniform on. She is very physically fit. As in she has healthy lungs. They always start with a couple of hymns and they had to restart the first song twice before they got all the distracted Mennonite boys to start singing.

RSKY

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #59  
That is different from the Amish/Mennonite charities. My wife and her homemakers clubs take frozen meals to people when they move into the Mennonite built homes springing up around town. The first dedication I attended with her was something. All the workers gathered in the house. 90% with the black garb on but also non-Mennonite contractors who provided labor. When it was time for the ceremony to start they couldn't find the guy who led the group. He and I were in a back bedroom talking or maybe arguing a little bit. I said I would like to donate to their work. After talking for thirty minutes I realized he was doing everything he could to not provide an address to send a check to, a phone number to call, or any way to donate money. He would not take cash or a check to buy gloves, bandaids, bottled water, or anything else for the workers. He said they didn't need the help and the work provided a way for their youth to help the communities that needed help. I was thoroughly impressed.

I was more impressed with the workmanship displayed in the house. I was also shocked that the women and girls would carry on a conversation with me. Of course they had on dresses covered with various colors of paint. Paint was on their bonnets, on their faces and hands, and in their hair. I guess they do all the painting.

One other thing. When I mentioned FEMA to the Amish foreman he actually spit on the floor. Said they had to push the Red Cross, FEMA, the local city government, and a couple more organizations out of the way to do any work.

As a side note. At about the third or fourth house dedication we attended the teenaged high school senior daughter of one of the local officials came into the house just after the ceremony started. She is on the high school track team and came right after practice. With her track running uniform on. She is very physically fit. As in she has healthy lungs. They always start with a couple of hymns and they had to restart the first song twice before they got all the distracted Mennonite boys to start singing.

RSKY
There are different types of Mennonite churches. My best friend I grew up with is a Mennonite. His family and the whole church for that matter treated me as one of them. They are incredible people that love the Lord and other people.

I was raised Southern Baptist and always thought our church was missing the boat. The Mennonites seem to be in line with the way I try to live. I have lots of stories of them helping other and was blessed to work with them on several occasions. I spent a lot of time helping my best friend and his dad on their farm. Especially during harvest time. He help me and my Dad as well sometimes but we had a much larger operation so it was easier for me to help them. Dad did not mind giving me up for a Saturday to go help them.

/ Anyone else do random acts of kindness? #60  
There are different types of Mennonite churches. My best friend I grew up with is a Mennonite. His family and the whole church for that matter treated me as one of them. They are incredible people that love the Lord and other people.

I was raised Southern Baptist and always thought our church was missing the boat. The Mennonites seem to be in line with the way I try to live. I have lots of stories of them helping other and was blessed to work with them on several occasions. I spent a lot of time helping my best friend and his dad on their farm. Especially during harvest time. He help me and my Dad as well sometimes but we had a much larger operation so it was easier for me to help them. Dad did not mind giving me up for a Saturday to go help them.

There are both Mennonites and Amish working here. They are organized and operate under an umbrella organization called "Amish Disaster Relief" (hope that is correct). The groups we have talked to came from Pennsylvania and Kansas. The small signs the groups put is front of the houses they work on are telling. Most have phone numbers or web addresses. All the Amish groups signs have the name of the organization and nothing else.

After homes are built other church groups will come in to help the people move in, supply furniture, etc.. Those are not Amish/Mennonite.

RSKY