Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones?

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #1  

Mikefromcny

Bronze Member
Tractor
White 2-65, Kubota B9200
I spent part of the day working my '86 White 2-65 tractor. It's a very used tractor from a friend's farm I purchased a few years ago. Lots of oil leaks, 1 brake pedal stiff, not much of the electrical works, bucket needs to be rebuilt, however I am looking forward to slowly sorting out the problems, and making it 100% functional. I also own a Kubota B9200 in nice shape.

I've thought about buying a new 35hp tractor to spoil myself, but can't justify it. I've never purchased anything new worth mentioning.

Part of the problem that discourages me is the more complex electronics and plastic construction..like hoods and fenders and what not. I will say a had the controller in my 15 year old Bobcat skidsteer fail, and that was a $1200 fix at the dealer :(.

I guess one thing that makes me feel this way is I'm a equipment tech for a living.

Just curious night there was anyone else out there like me.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #2  
I spent part of the day working my '86 White 2-65 tractor. It's a very used tractor from a friend's farm I purchased a few years ago. Lots of oil leaks, 1 brake pedal stiff, not much of the electrical works, bucket needs to be rebuilt, however I am looking forward to slowly sorting out the problems, and making it 100% functional. I also own a Kubota B9200 in nice shape.

I've thought about buying a new 35hp tractor to spoil myself, but can't justify it. I've never purchased anything new worth mentioning.

Part of the problem that discourages me is the more complex electronics and plastic construction..like hoods and fenders and what not. I will say a had the controller in my 15 year old Bobcat skidsteer fail, and that was a $1200 fix at the dealer :(.

I guess one thing that makes me feel this way is I'm a equipment tech for a living.

Just curious night there was anyone else out there like me.

Sure, we're out here. In fact I suspect there's lots of us. Except for HST, there really hasn't been all that much change in basic tractor technology since 4WD became common in the mid to late 1970's. There are some real jewels out there for the guy that doesn't mind fixing them up.

It's fun to discover convenience and comfort features in older tractors that are lacking in newer ones. Of course there was a difference in the way the old ones were designed. It was a different era, & machines were often built to be easily rebuilt as needed. Potentially they could last forever. For the more popular models, parts are still plentiful and often reasonably priced.

Old machines may not be as technically sophisticated, but they are likely to be more comfortable, and the basic quality of many components seems higher.

One area where modern tractors have it over the old ones is in power steering and hydraulic brakes. These things were high end options on older machines, whereas on modern machines they seem more common .... even on basic entry level machines.
rScotty

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #3  
Im young but have used both. Growing up my grandfather was a ford man so he had a collection of old for tractors, but man could you get some work done with them and they felt like tanks. My father also had older diesel tractors which are super simple to work on too. I have a Mahindra 4500 which isn't that old but it is built like a old tractor, never had any actual problems with it and it runs great and does most of what I need. When looking for a new tractor for more convince working in the field I now have a cab tractor with and AC and radio and man is it nice not sweating your butt off in 105 degree weather. Not going to lie I do feel like less of a man sitting in my nice cab drinking a beer with my air ride seat compared to the old tractors that take 2 hand to steer and ride so rough they beat the **** out of you back and kidneys.

I do for see getting another old tractor in the future that has a cab simply for ease of maintaince and fixing. My new one has electronics and more than 5 wires under the hood (im more of a mechanic than electrician). I grew up with old cars and trucks and love them, I cant really buy anything new because they all fail. My 2 7.3 diesel fords will be with me forever, I have a 6.0 now too which has been bulletproofed so lets see if I will last about as long as my 7.3's now.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #4  
I favor older tractors for the ease of maintenance and repairs for sure. However, when it comes to sitting on one and working all day, I’ll take a newer one. My newest ag tractor is a joy to run (JD 5100M), while the tractor it replaces (Ford TW-5) gets almost no use anymore. At one time I adored the TW. Not so much now.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #5  
I'm very hesitant on buying a new tractor. My last new tractor was in 2003 and it was great, until it started having electrical gremlins. For two years, it was a mystery if it would start, and then hours of trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. Last year I pulled out all the wiring and rewired it for just the basics. I even used a choke cable to turn it to turn the solenoid off and on to turn the engine off. Now it starts every time and I'm so much happier with the tractor then I have been in years!!!

My next tractor is going to have a cab, so the only thing that I want is an AC system that works really good!!! I'm not sure what year, model or company that will be, it's just something that I'm trying to pay attention to and learn as much as I can.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #6  
I have a 1974 JD 2030 and a 2006 JD 6415, both bought used.
It's the electronics of the new ones that I do not want to deal with.

I hate the collar shift and fuel fill of my 2030. You have to come to a complete stop to shift direction, range, and gears. The fuel fills top of the hood. I have to climb up on the front tire and reach over the loader boom. But the most complicated electronics is the voltage regulator.

The 6415 had weird electrical problems. One warning light would flash without the turn signal being selected. I looked for a flasher and could not find one. It's built into one of the "controllers" (high dollar black box). Later it would not turn over. A new battery solved both problems. I am guessing the "controllers" were not happy with low voltage?

On the 6415, I love the fuel fill at foot platform level, the power quad transmission and left hand reverser. But would hate to have to rebuild any of these units.

I would like to replace the 2030 with newer, but not brand new. I am thinking 5220 or 5225. I do like the 5065M, but more than I want to spend. I am on the fence about the 5055e, 5056e series.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #7  
I spent in total less on these than the purchase price of a new 1 Series John Deere SCUT,,,

sDxlghh.jpg

The red one is 40 years old,, I have owned it for 20 years,,

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #8  
The new stuff is nice and feature rich. But like so many things, there is usually much about new technology that is beyond your control and ability to handle or solve on your own. Just the complexity of modern wiring is bad enough, but then the computers and code are another matter entirely.

/ Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #9  
The new stuff is nice and feature rich. But like so many things, there is usually much about new technology that is beyond your control and ability to handle or solve on your own. Just the complexity of modern wiring is bad enough, but then the computers and code are another matter entirely.

I just spent the better part of a month going to every dealer in my area and testing tractors. I knew what i wanted before i went but finding it was the hard part. In 2 years i have owned 2 brand new tractors. and in two years i have got to know my dealer very well because of service issues. I own a 2011 new holland t1510 and it's been in the shop twice. once to put a loader on it and once to dish the tires out. Those new ones had around a total of 12 trips into the shop for warranty work and defects. I just found and purchased what i was looking for. a 1997 3930 4wd with less than 1100 hrs garage kept with loader and canopy. still haven't got it to the farm yet. But i bought it for a lot less than my newest tractor i just got rid of. and can almost guarantee they will not have to plug a computer into it just to see what it says is wrong with it........I had the choice of new vs old and i already tried new and we know how that turned out......SO I WENT OLD....

Last edited:
   / Anyone else favor older tractors to newer ones? #10  
Not only that. The younger generation that works with all this technology, doesn't seem to care about good customer service. The fact, that you own a tractor that you would like (or need) to get some work done with, is somehow lost on them. Like, why are you getting so upset man, just chill! lol

I was just told by some young guy in Bell, Solutions Something Department that my 2 year old I-Phone has reached "End Of Life"!