Anyone else have a 990?

/ Anyone else have a 990? #11  
I have his baby brother....a 790. Love it

/ Anyone else have a 990? #12  
I don't have a 990 but had a 970 for several years and sold it to a friend and bought a 1070 fwd which is about the same as the 990. I 've never had a minutes trouble with either one. They seem to be bulletproof

/ Anyone else have a 990? #13  
I've got a 2006 JD990....love it and (like my wife) will never trade her in.

Here's a pic pulling out Locust trees with my homebuilt shrub bucket....

DSC00875.jpg

/ Anyone else have a 990? #14  
But, the fact that my wife wouldn't drive a gear transmission tractor changed that geometry. Nonetheless, there were certainly times that owning a gear tranny tractor was a really good thing...

An acquaintance of mine specifically bought a gear tractor because he knew his wife could not/would not try to operate it.

When he was out mowing or puttering with the tractor the missus would feel guilty and start scrubbing toilets, cleaning floors, vacuuming, etc.

Sometimes there is method to madness.:)

/ Anyone else have a 990? #15  
I have one. Bought it as a repo with 25 hrs on it in 2003. Later added the 8B. It has been a great machine.

Tractor.jpg

Tractor.jpg

/ Anyone else have a 990? #16  
We got ours late summer 2008. It came with 200 hours on it, a FEL, 8b hoe, R-4 tires, front forks, snow plow, and canopy. It is a blast to have around, not to mention very helpful digging out of multiple heavy snowstorms this year in the northeast. Love the machine and am finding more uses for it every day.

/ Anyone else have a 990? #17  
I own it's little brother the 790. I looked at a 990 but screwed around and someone beat me to the bank. However, it worked out well as I bought a sweet 790 an awesome tractor.. But still I have to admit that the 990 is a studly little beast.

Best wishes

Art

/ Anyone else have a 990? #18  
My friend has 990. Great tractor but I'm an e-hydro guy and once you have one it spoils you,at least it spoiled me.

If it was sychro, like a 1070, I might have been a little more inclined to fall in love with it. Also it depends on what kind of work you're doing. I do a lot of loader work and less field mowing and things like that where the tranny makes a big difference.

Aside from that it's a wonderful tractor (now it's the 4005 if you want to get specs on it). I like the basic utilitarian aspect of it, no frills like the tractors of yesterday. I guess people still love that as it's still in the 4000 series line up!

Rob

/ Anyone else have a 990? #19  
Had a 990 for 6 years--great for everything except high lifting with FEL and very heavy front loads. Just traded it off for a 5083 cab unit. Miss the tractor but not the three wheel bogie with a front load

/ Anyone else have a 990? #20  
Have a 10 year old 990 with only 370 hours--was upset 2 months ago when the rear diff and wheel bearings went out and was an expensive repair and was considering a trade--but I settled down and I love the tractor and will keep it for many years--it is a tank, and with the repair should last for years--just had crappy luck with the rear end