Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #941  
How many do you have to drink that much? I doubt I go thru that much in a couple weeks. I will say that either we have more than usual or they're thirstier than usual this year.
There are a few calculations out there based on the bird's total consumption. Using the 187.5 birds per quart figure from paragraph 7, I would have 125 birds.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #942  
I went out of town today after putting out a fresh quart yesterday afternoon...... Empty when I got home this afternoon. 1 quart 1 day. I am thinking a neighbor is on vacation or something. I usually don't see rapid changes within a week or two like this.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #943  
As of last Wed - back up to the usual - eight hummers. They go thru my two cup feeder in one day.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #944  
Another day, another quart. I am now figuring that this is not a fluke since I checked and all the neighbors are here. This rate equals my all time high, but the timing is unusual since flowers and bugs are out in spades. :oops:

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #945  
I started putting out a half gallon at a time. Not because they are drinking that much every day, but it gives me a break from refilling with a quart every day. I thought because of the avian flu last year I would be below my quart a day highpoint of last spring. Not so, I am at about 1-1/3 quart a day this last week.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #946  
We have 5-6 this year when it is normally two. My wife makes her nectar with sugar and water and can't keep up with it.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
We have 5-6 this year when it is normally two. My wife makes her nectar with sugar and water and can't keep up with it.
The birds do seem to be making a recovery after a bad year in 2022. If you recall, there were bad storms in 2021 that we thought damaged their winter breeding grounds.
We were had a lot less birds last year and, while still lower than normal this year, see some improvement in numbers. We can only be jealous of goeduck that must have 55 gallon drum feeders in WA state. ;)

We've had good years and bad years but have learned to keep putting out the nectar regardless and eventually they return in big numbers.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #948  
We've had good years and bad years but have learned to keep putting out the nectar regardless and eventually they return in big numbers.
That is key and so is keeping it fresh with clean feeders. (y)

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
Here's the map--I hope--of the 2024 hummingbird migration dates. More are added as birds are seen. They are only in the south coastal US so far but it looks like an early season. We're ready.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #950  
In our area hummingbirds stay all year round, and have survived this winter's lowest temperature about -10*C or 14*F with 55 mph wind at the same time, which I find amazing!