Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"?

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
I keep a three-ring binder in my shop in which I have pages with commonly used information on the various vehicles/boats/tractors/engine-driven items that I have to care for.

I keep separate pages for cars, trucks, etc., and each one has things like, lug bolt size/torque, oil filter number, required oil viscosity, oil quantity, air filter number, oil drain bolt size, etc.

Also keep handy reference pages in there like how much oil it takes to get a 50:1/32:1/25:1 mixture for a one-gallon gas can.

Whenever I need to work on something that requires the use of a shop manual, I make copies of the required sheets and take them to the shop, rather than getting the original manual dirty and torn-up. Then, I three-hole punch those pages and keep them in the notebook for future use.

I find it really saves time/effort to keep all this stuff in one place rather than having to find a separate book to look it up each time I need to change oil or whatever.

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #2  
I have all my manual pages inside clear plastic sheets then punched and in three ring binders.

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #3  
The greasy fingerprints in my manuals help me remember what I've worked on before. :rolleyes:

I have started writing down some of the wrench sizes on the appropriate pages.

Vic

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #4  
I've got a toolbox on every tractor. I like the boxes John Deere started selling back in the 1970's. I've adapted the mounts to fit every tractor I own. I then type out all the essential information and laminate a copy. That laminated sheet is then attached to the under-side of the lid to the toolbox. It's never very far from where I need it.

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #5  
I could not live without my "cheat sheets" in college and even more so after college. I scan or convert all text in PDF format and keep it on my computer or thumb drive. I study it first and only print the pages I need, mark it up with all "notes to self" and then go to work. When The job is done my cheat sheet is all oily and messy and I just pitch it till next time.

Jc,:)

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #6  
I keep an old laptop with an Excel spreadsheet of my maintenance records for each vehicle and also throw service bulletins such as get posted on this site on it.

Terry

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #7  
I made copies of the service page from one of my vehicle manuals to use on the "offroad" stuff-just list hours instead of miles. I also tear off the boxtop when I take a new filter out of the box, and mark what it's for(BX2200 OIL, for example) and throw the boxtop into a box in the fluids cabinet for reference when I pick up new filters. We keep a "trip sheet" in one of our trucks for tax purposes, and mark the service dates on it for a quick reference of the next service date. I don't have any of my old PC's. My future son-in-law fixes them for people that otherwise couldn't afford one.

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #8  
Wow I wish I could be that organized. I tried and I can't do it for whatever reason, too busy, too lazy, etc... I generally remember what needs done when on a time schedule. Luckily for me most of the equipment is stored every winter so everything has a routine throughout the spring and summer at certail times. I also more or less know which wrenches I'll need for which piece of equipment though metric is the devil and nore and more it fudges up my system of carrying 4 wrenches in my pocket (7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8) "Oh that's 1/2"....wait too small? 12mm,,,, 4#@*!! metric!"

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #9  
The only records I keep any more are filter numbers, & then it's just rip the top off the box, mark it's application & nail it to the wall. I really should make up cheat sheets for the old cars though. They all have, at the very least, later model disc brakes. Some have very few "stock" parts on them.

With the proliferation of metric fasteners today, I have a separate metric tool box. I also keep a set of combination wrenches (both metric & SAE) in easy-carry Harbor Freight holders so all I need to do is grab & go. Most sockets are on cheapy metal spring strips (6-point, 12-point, deep, in 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 drives, SAE & metric, again Harbor Freight pieces). It's nice not having to go back & forth to the boxes looking for tools!

/ Anyone Else Use "Cheat Sheets"? #10  
I have what my kids call my Brain its a palm pilot with most of the info in phone numbers to model and serial nimbers of my equipment. and I dont leave home with out it.

tommu