Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model?

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #21  
Aside from snooze's issues, great info here. I've been thinking about upgrading my 1050 ZTT, and think the commercial 60" S is the way to go.....

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #22  
Rattle update...

They called me this morning and told me it was coming from the housing over the blade pulleys that was the root of the problem. I went to the shop to physically see what he was talking about.

The housing itself is made not exactly right. They even pulled the housings off of three other mowers and compared them with all having the same issue. That issue being, one side of the housing is lower than the other side, and when the blades are moving at full speed, they are vibrating the housing and deck enough that they rub every other second or so, thus causing the metal on metal sound. Kind of the price of having fabricated equipment as opposed to stamped metal. Humans just make imperfect things. And it was probably made on a Friday...or a Monday.

Anyway, their solution was to grind off the small section that was lower until it was even with the bottom of the rest of the shield. It worked. No more rattle. Also, it hasn't backfired since the 3rd time I turned it off.

Before all this was settled, I called to talk to the salesman about exchanging it for another in case something was really wrong with it considering their was less than an hour on the mower. He wasn't there, so they gave the phone to the store owner instead. He just added fuel to my fire. When I told him what I wanted, he said, "That's what your warranty is for. You wouldn't try to bring a car back." I said, "First of all, this isn't a car, it's a mower. Second, when you buy a car, or even a house for that matter, you have the right of recision for 72 hours."

He got a little angry, and told me I was being extreme, and nothing was perfect. I said, "I don't really think I am. When I buy a $5,000 piece of equipment, I expect it to be perfect when it comes off the truck, and I start it for the very first time. I'm 47 years old, and the most expensive piece of lawn equipment I've ever owned is a 27 inch self-propelled Lawnboy, just to give you some reference." At this point, he stammered around and said, "I don't get involved with Joe's (the salesman) deals. You'll have to talk to him when he comes back."

After my talk with the owner, the ONLY reason I didn't go ahead and return it was because I've known Joe since college, and he's an honest person. I know he'll take care of me if it comes down to it. When I talked to him, he was willing to do the exchange even though I know it would've brought the store owner's anger down on him. He was able to get the problem solved, and I was happy with it.

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #23  
2014 48 Inch Z-Force SZ REVIEW : I bought the Z-Force SZ w/ 48 inch deck back in May 2014. Have about 28 hours on it now. I stopped by the dealer and was looking at the RTZ but the Z-Force was worth the upgraded fabricated deck and bigger tires.My property is full of rough areas. He dropped it off for me to demo and I put it through the paces pretty good, stopped by the next day and signed the paperwork. Good deal w the zero % for 48 months.
I mow about 2.5 acres mostly western PA hillside and a lot of trees and other things to go around so a bigger deck wouldn't be the best choice. I have about 1/3 acre penned in for dogs. This grass grows twice as fast and is very thick due to the "fertilizer" the dogs deposit. We clean up the area before mowing. It is sloped and the machine does bog down sometimes if I have it at 3.5 inches when climbing the slope and cutting the thick grass. This grass is easily 6 inches high every week when I mow. I did raise the deck up the whole way and then go over it again at 3.5 a few times but it still throws some clumps of grass if grass is damp.
The rest of the yard it mows like a champ. I cut down my mow time from 4 hours a week using a Deere mower w/ a 42 inch deck to 1.5 hours with less trimming required as I get better edging w/ the deck.
Behind the house I have a hillside that is easily a 30 degree slope about 40 feet wide and 200 feet long. I mowed this with the riding mower for several years. Last year while bagging wet leaves I managed to roll the riding mower on the slope. Being 47 years old and not bullet proof anymore I decided there had to be a better and safer way to go about mowing the slope. I seached and found the Z Force and was impressed by the claim it was good on hilly terrain. With no ROPS or seat belt for that matter, in today's world, I guess Cub Cadet must be pretty sure of themselves. I really can't go up and down due to the angle at the bottom being abruptly level and gravel parking area and driveway. I now mow confidently across the slope at about half speed but feel a lot safer without all the ""leaning" like before w/ the rider. I can actually do a 12 inch circle around a couple fruit trees I have planted on the slope.
A couple observations on the Z Force:
I too had the deck "rattle" when the machine was dropped off for the demo. The delivery guy was still here and we narrowed it down to the left hand side pulley cover pretty quick, took it off and the sound quit. This cover is bent or pressed steel and it ended up the two pieces where too close together and vibrated off each other near the bottom. We pried them apart a small amount and the noise is gone. A spot weld would do the same, if it comes back.
I had the machine for a month then got a triple bagger and light kit installed once the dealer got them ordered in. Bagger works "OK" in the main yard but clogs pretty quickly in the dogs pen, also makes it harder to get in the tight spots. I think I'll just take it off and use it for leaf collection in the fall and spring clean up. I'd still buy it but it has the same issues as most baggers I have owned.
The light is a single LED lit unit that mounts on the front rail ahead of the steering wheel. Its always on, no switch. The dealer said the light kit went on either side of the drivers seat so this must be a new set up. Probably better out front but not sure if its would be in the way if you get any of the front mounted attachments. Hind site I think I would buy aftermarket light(s) for less money.
One annoyance is the keeper pin set up on the deck level adjuster. It has a notched area to keep it in place but manages to work its way out and then the deck will rise up. Not the end of the world if you catch it quickly, or you end up having to backtrack and re-mow some. I bought a hitch pin and keep it in the holes below the lever mechanism and the factory pin above. PROBLEM SOLVED.
I'm contemplating chains or filling the tires for added traction. The dealer was against both but then said filling the tires would be OK, even though they sell a chain kit for these mowers, said it would be hard on the hydro's. ??? I may get a front plow set up for light snow plowing and can see the need for additional traction. I have a Kubota BX and use the FEL now but want to keep it that way for stacking the big snows.
All said I'm happy with the mower and can see it holding up well, there are cheaper zero turns out there but the steering wheel is great for added control on hills.

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #24  
just one comment - outside of the probability of still rolling that cub ztr (and you) on that back 30 degree slope, would wonder how long yer engine is gonna hold up runnin under load at that angle with little/reduced lube... ?

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #25  
just one comment - outside of the probability of still rolling that cub ztr (and you) on that back 30 degree slope, would wonder how long yer engine is gonna hold up runnin under load at that angle with little/reduced lube... ?

I wouldn't worry so much about the engine as I would the transmissions. The engine has a car type pressurized oil pump. That shouldn't be a problem. What the problem would be (at least I would think) would be stretching the belts to the transmissions on that slope.

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #26  
I wouldn't worry so much about the engine as I would the transmissions. The engine has a car type pressurized oil pump. That shouldn't be a problem. What the problem would be (at least I would think) would be stretching the belts to the transmissions on that slope.
you have GOT to be kidding...

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #28  
Sorry man, I didn't know just how intelligent you are...
yeah, let's think about it, bright boy.. the engine lays over at a 30 degree angle, possiblly starving the oil pump pickup even on a pressurized sys vs. a splash sys; just how the h*ll his tranny drive drive belts would be extra stressed while moving back and forth ACROSS the 30 degree slope escapes me... but then yer the bright boy from ashland... sheesh.

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #29  
Sorry man, I didn't know just how intelligent you are...
yeah, let's think about it, bright boy.. the engine lays over at a 30 degree angle, possiblly starving the oil pump pickup even on a pressurized sys vs. a splash sys; just how the h*ll his tranny drive drive belts would be extra stressed while moving back and forth ACROSS the 30 degree slope escapes me... but then yer the bright boy from ashland... sheesh.

/ Anyone have a Cub Cadet RZT-S or Zforce-S model? #30  

At least I know where I'm from, sh*thead.