Anyone know this disk ?

/ Anyone know this disk ?
So I decided to pick it up and add it to the growing collection of implements.

I put the disks at the biggest angle they will go and after 5 round trip passes, the grass and thatch was turned right in nicely. Wondering is this normal for a disk to take that many or should I alter what I'm doing ?

I'm doing around 4mph and repeating over the same part until the pass doesnt show grass any longer. Should I perhaps look to move over a 1/2 width or so at each pass so I am not crossing the same lines over and over ?

/ Anyone know this disk ? #12  
So I decided to pick it up and add it to the growing collection of implements.

I put the disks at the biggest angle they will go and after 5 round trip passes, the grass and thatch was turned right in nicely. Wondering is this normal for a disk to take that many or should I alter what I'm doing ?

I'm doing around 4mph and repeating over the same part until the pass doesnt show grass any longer. Should I perhaps look to move over a 1/2 width or so at each pass so I am not crossing the same lines over and over ?

We usually "double disc" for best results. Make a pass and then drop over 1/2 of the width of the cut and go again. Be sure to use a drag behind to smooth out. Ken Sweet

thats what i figured ... the land here hasn't been worked in probably 4-5 decades min ... so i dont hardly even leave tire treads in the soil when i drive around with my ag tires

I've been doing a lot of bush hogging so the hopes here are to turn all that into the soil as best I can ... in the end I am turning it into pasture

/ Anyone know this disk ? #14  
Don't know if you have the room or not, but I disk the whole area and then go back over at a 30 degree angle from what I first did. This has worked very well for me. Also how heavy is your disk? If your disk is lighter in weight and the ground is hard and dry, your in for a tough go.

I'm not really sure ? It's a 20 disk 7'10 version of a mf #25.

The small field I am doing now is only an acre (the wifes garden) so today was just making sure all the gangs turned properly and no screeching from bad bearings so all I did was go back and forth over the same spot multiple times.

All my fields are in the same shape though, hard and unused for a long time, so I have a feeling i have some serious seat time to get it all worked up. Not that I am complaining.

Here are some pics from this morning

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    732.4 KB · Views: 115
   / Anyone know this disk ? #18  
I would put about 400 lbs or more on top of it, it will do a lot better with the added weight!

/ Anyone know this disk ? #19  
Here are some pics from this morning

Nice looking disc.
I add about 500 lb of weight to my 7-ft offset drag disc using concrete weights and a tire drag to bust up the clods. That's my Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny) providing the muscle.

DSCF0112 (Small).JPGDSCF0111 (Small).JPG

My neighbor gave me the disc, I disassembled it, cleaned up the bearings, replaced several of the outside pans and got it working good. Got the tires free from a neighbor.

I use that disc to do the primary tilling on my 6-acre hayfield (Kanota oats, plant in Nov, harvest the following May). I make two passes over the field at right angles.

so 4-5 5 gallon pales of concrete ought to do eh ... will have to see what i can find in the way of bulk slap steel since that seems like it would be huge on top ?

I took a look with some pales and it would seem i can do your method of strapping them on main frame (since the outer frame is floating)

4 should get me 2.7 cu ft ... or about 400lbs added

Last edited: