Apple Ignorant

/ Apple Ignorant #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
We have an apple tree that was here when we moved in almost 8 years ago. I'm guessing the previous owner planted it, along with a few other fruit trees when he put the house on the market - - it was very young then. My wife treated it, & some of the other fruit trees like a pieces of furniture: let's move it over there. And a year later, no, over there, etc. So it has gone through a few stressful years. Now I can tell you it was an apple tree, only because the tag was still attached when we moved in. I'm originally from Texas & I've been in SE Louisiana for 30+ years, and know nothing about growing apples.

Well this tree has hung on & has produced about 20+ apples this year. They are green and they are getting to a respectable size, maybe a little larger than a hardball. How can I tell when they are ready? I know there are some green apples [granny smith?]. My friends in North Carolina talk about apple festivals in the fall. Baby, this ain't fall, but these look like they are reaching maturation. Anyone else know of apples producing this far south? & what did this tree use for fertilization? Does it take two apple trees to tango?

As I said, I'm apple ignorant.

/ Apple Ignorant #2  
Tdog
There's no $$$ in apples, guess we buy concentrate from China for one and a half cents a pound as they don't have the FDA over there/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. I'd suggest when they look mature, pluck it and enjoy it.If you want more, I'd suggest a <font color=red>red</font color=red> apple tree for a pollenator.Wear a hardhat when mowing, as there is nothing like a apple rainstorm when mowing around it as the ROPS loves apples.Personally, I live in a large orchard(here when we bought) and I would like to build a miniature catapault and have some fun with them/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.
regards
Mutt

/ Apple Ignorant #3  
Re: Apple Ignorant/catapult

Hey Mutt,

I've collected about 40 bowling-balls, and have designed (not built yet) a "multiple stage gravity-powered launcher" (modified trebuchet) for future shenanigans.

I envision some field-trip fun with highschool physics students, etc.

Picture a stick and cardboard pirate ship mock-up, floating in our pond, ... burlap-wrapped, oil-soaked flaming cannonballs flying through the night sky for a hundred(or two) yards, ..."On target, ...fire for effect!!"

Kidz'ldiggit!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

As for me, I'm much too mature and serious to enjoy this kind of thing, ...I'd do it only for the students. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Anybody believe that? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Larry

Larry

/ Apple Ignorant #4  

Larry,

I once saw a news blip about a pumpkin launching contest. There were some really fantastic designs. The winners had a truck mounted (honest), steam powered cannon capable of launching a pumpkin almost a mile. (Where they found a field that big I have no idea.)

I'd just hate to be down range. "Look Ma! It's rainin pumpkins!"

SHF

PS The trebuchet idea sounds interesting. Did you see the same PBS broadcast I did?

/ Apple Ignorant #5  

Hi SHF,

Yeah, ...saw the broadcast, and have a collection of articles from various sources in my file under "gravity powered launchers".

About the pumpkin shooters, ,,,there are some websites with lots of info/photos about those often-powered-by-things-other-than-gravity mechanical beasts. Some of the record distances are over 1000 yards, I believe. The whole thing is a really big deal in some "pumpkin country" areas.

I'd like to see it, but I think my favorite so far is the Englishman (I think) who "threw" the piano!

A web search on catapults or trebuchets turns up fanatics all over the world. Fun stuff!!
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Larry

/ Apple Ignorant #6  

Nope, 1000 yards is still short of my target. Need a full mile to reach the little town nearby. Of course, I'm on top of the hill which helps /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Also need more power to throw somthing light. (Don't want to actually hurt anything.) Just thought it might be interesting if it snowed marshmallows in August. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I saw the guy with the piano. He was also throwing refridgerators, wasn't he?

SHF

/ Apple Ignorant #7  
Hey, what happened to the apple thread? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Seriously Tdog, you would do well to go to a local nursery and ask them about it. They would know what varieties produce well where you are at. They will probably even be able to tell you what you have if you bring in a ripe apple from the tree.

As far as whether or not they are ripe, the most certain way to know is when they start falling off the tree. If you are impatient, pick one and bite right in. You'll know if it's ready or not then.

Hope this helps. Apple trees are really neat, but they really have to be sprayed at the appropriate time with the appropriate stuff to keep them worm-free.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ Apple Ignorant #8  

Hi Larry, I saw that same PBS show and was fascinated. I also recall years ago seeing one where they launched small cars /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I know we're way off topic here, but I also remember a site where some college students were experimenting with air powered potato cannons. They were trying to achieve mach 1 potato velocity. They could vaporize a watermelon at point blank range /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Apple Ignorant #9  
TDog,
I have grown apples here in Texas and no matter what variety you get they will not get very <font color=red>red</font color=red> especially if they are the green kind. We do not have the cool nights required for them. I would just pick them when they get close to the size you want. If you wait too long the birds will tell you that they are ripe/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif or at least they always told me by pecking holes in them. They will have to be sprayed as I finally lost them all to bores and now buy my apples at the store. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Randy

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RJohnson on 06/21/01 01:28 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Apple Ignorant #10  

It would be hard to accelerate a soft body (like a potato) to that velocity - but it probably could be done. High-velocity gas guns can produce tremendous speeds.

Imagine a long tube or barrel divided into two sections by a 'burst disk'. This is a thin metal disk that is designed to burst under a certain pressure. The projectile sits on one side of the burst disk. The other side is slowly pressurized until the disk bursts. The target sits at the end of / is bolted to the barrel (usually some material that is being tested).

For really high velocity tests, a vacuum is maintained on the projectile side (closed end to the barrel) and the gas used is Helium. This has a higher speed of sound and so you get less complications with reflected shock waves etc. in the barrel.

All good fun.

You could do something similar with compressed air. Don't try it without lots of testing in a safe environment though - you really need to know what you're doing when dealing with high pressures and velocities. Sitting behind some bullet-proof glass is a good idea when you test these devices - even though they are usually closed systems.

You can also do this with electromagnetic 'rail-guns'. This is what is expected to be used in the next generation of tanks. The most basic form accelerates the projectile by means of a pulse sent through a coil lining the barrel. The resulting electromagnetic field literally drags the projectile out of the barrel. Extremely high speeds have also been recorded for this device. One of the biggest problems they have is barrel erosion due to the extreme projectile velocities.