Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please?

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #1  

LHejl

Hi -

We are newbies in the world of tractors, currently shopping and comparing brands and prices. We own 15 acres in Central Texas, heavily wooded, sandy soil with a rocky hill included! We need to put up fences, clear lots of brush/trees, dig a septic system, and a stock tank, build a road, and put in a garden!

We have looked at JD, Kubota, New Holland, Kioti, and Branson, in comparison to Montana. We are considering either the R4344 or R4944. The dealer is new, but we really like him! The other competitors' compact tractors don't seem to match specs or affordability....it's almost too good to be true??? Your input/insight is much appreciated!

BTW, hubby is a heavy equip operator...he currently runs an industrial JD loader with an 8 yard bucket....so our little tractor better be tough! :)

Thanks, in advance!

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #2  
I love my 4344HST. Almost no problems with it, plenty powerful (for me) Sometimes would like some more lifting power but it's not a lightweight.
I have a 6' King Kutter tiller- it doesn't hesitate to turn it. Today we spent 3 hours on a 4' brush how in thick Oregon grass up to the hood. not a problem.
I think the Montana's are a great machine at a fair price.
Oh, the HST makes it sooo easy to work with; my 73 year old dad gets more seat time than I do.

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #3  
Im a newbie too.

I have a C5264 (the much more basic, old technology,Made in Romania) Montana which is a bit different to the rest fo their line.

when i went shopping, i wanted:

as much HP for the $ as I could get
low $
Low Tech
Reliable Mechanicals
Deisel
4wd
A Good Dealer

so far, its early days (16 hrs later) im still happy

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please?
Thank you, Sackett and Dave!

Sackett - I was active duty USAF at Lindsey AS, Germany from 1987 - 1990. Any chance our paths crossed? :eek:

Dave - From your priority list, you might be related to my husband! Either that or it must be true what they say about great minds thinking alike. ;)

We'd really like to hear from more people....particularly in Texas! We've read through a lot of the threads and posts....I haven't come across anything that concerns me yet, but this is a big expenditure and I want to be sure we do our due diligence.

Thanks, again!

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #5  
Thank you, Sackett and Dave!

Sackett - I was active duty USAF at Lindsey AS, Germany from 1987 - 1990. Any chance our paths crossed? :eek:

If all you did was Germany then not at that time.
Zweibrucken 1981-84
Williams AFB 84-90
Minot AFB 90-2001

My brother did 13 years at Bittburg, a years or so at Spang when Bitt. Closed; a couple years at Malstrom, mt, Tyndall Fl and Mt. home Id.

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #6  
Not really a secret, but a good value to those that take the time to do some homework. 90% of the compact buyers really don't have a good understanding of what they need BUT they already know the names of the big brand tractors. These days, the big brands are marketing some lower spec models to appeal to the customer who only shops for bottom line price. They have a lot of payments left when they figure out they didn't buy what they need!!

Most of the tractors that I sold were to buyers that were really doing their homework shopping and knew what they wanted in a tractor. They would come in with a stack of literature on all of the locally available brands and were carefully comparing specs.

It makes you feel great when a customer buys that carefully, and still buys from you, but when the other 90% buy on price or brand, it's a very tough battle.

Best of luck with your shopping!

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #7  
I sent a PM - read the post by MAKA - it will give you some information in regards to the warranty - and service repair that you may need.

Also I have a contact at Paige Tractors that you may want to have - Joshua he will give you all the details you need on the Kioti tractors he sells.

Good luck

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #8  
Montana's are good tractors with good warranties. I am on my second season using one as a hay mowing tractor and I have had fewer issues with it than with MF's costing twice as much.

The biggest issue with them on this discussion group is that a number of people are upset with them over buying the assests of the defunct Farmtrac line and blast the Montana brand every chance they get.

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #9  
ditto on chh about this forum. i currently have a 2840 only 50 plus hours. but in that 50 hours i have removed many feet of snow, rototilled many gardens, and own a bush hog havent used much and also a box scraper. i am in the start up phase of haveing a little side work business going. i am not concerened at all about not having one of the big three. depending on model the bulk of the tractors are made by ls cable in south korea.

/ Are Montana Tractors a well kept secret?? Reality check, please? #10  
heads up guys as of today Montana has aquared Branson tractors more to come 6-4 -09