Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder??

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #11  
Good choice. There's only so much that can be done with 8gpm@2500psi.

I like the idea. The grinder could use more power and torque.

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #12  
I run it with the blade reversed.

Ken

I am glad to see that you are not afraid to change the blade direction! Is Power Trac still selling the stump grinder with the blade throwing the chips and crap back at the operator!??! I resolved that problem years ago! Concerning usefullness, I have used mine to do many jobs, but actually grinding large stumps is a frustrating waste of time!! You are better off with a pet beaver, or a nail file!!

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #13  
The problem with my stump grinder is that it demolishes stumps so fast that my friends ask me to do another 20 scattered about instead of just the one near the house that they called me for.

Ken

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #14  
I am glad to see that you are not afraid to change the blade direction! Is Power Trac still selling the stump grinder with the blade throwing the chips and crap back at the operator!??! I resolved that problem years ago! Concerning usefullness, I have used mine to do many jobs, but actually grinding large stumps is a frustrating waste of time!! You are better off with a pet beaver, or a nail file!!

This was a very simple and effective way to help eliminate stump chips from flying back into my face.:thumbsup: Drill and bolt a Galvinized boat trailer fender to the grinder

Attachments

• powertrac 180 002.jpg
    powertrac 180 002.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 237
   / Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #15  
I'm reviving this old thread to ask a safety question. Many people have suggested, over the years, to reverseing the direction of the stump grinder since it throws chips back on the tractor and operator. I was intending to make this modification myself. However, Washita notes in this thread that his wheel came off and "imbedded itself in a tree." If I reverse the direction of the wheel and it comes off, isn't it likely to climb the tractor and embed itself in my skull?

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #16  
If you reverse it it will throw chips out to whoever is standing in front. What is to keep someone from crossing in front of you while you are watching the stump grinding? I see what you mean about the wheel heading towards you. I would be reluctant to change this.

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #17  
how quick are your reflexes? RPM X circumference of stump grinding wheel = Feet Per Minute, how many feet will that wheel travel in the split second it takes the operator to realize the wheel is coming for him?

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #18  
I love the story and the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am3qbgNJxrU

Guy walked away and did not tell the owner. Now I bet this saw is faster than a stump grinder but still.

Just an FYI to everyone, I am building my own stump grinder right now. Would have finsihed it this weekend but ran into an issue with the drive shaft.

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #19  
I love the story and the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am3qbgNJxrU

Guy walked away and did not tell the owner. Now I bet this saw is faster than a stump grinder but still.

Just an FYI to everyone, I am building my own stump grinder right now. Would have finsihed it this weekend but ran into an issue with the drive shaft.

Try grinding the stump starting on the side of stump grinding a hole next to the stump then proceed to grind through the stump from one side the the other. You will use the front edge of the cutting wheel to grind with and not so much the bottom. This will shoot the debris at the ground before it shoots at you. This seems to work better for me with my Vermeer 252 grinder than if I just drop the wheel on the top of the stump and grind. My grinder has rubber flaps that are used for chip containment. Perhaps a large truck mud flap could be attached to shield the tractor. But I think if it shields you you won't be able to see what you are doing.

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #20  
I have always worked from the front of the stump. not the top but mine also blasts the chips away from me. I do not let anyone around when I am grinding.

Ken