Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder??

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #21  
I have reversed mine, with no ill effects to this point. I used blue Locktite on the bolts when I reinstalled the blade. I've since checked them a couple times since and they have not budged...

I start grinding on the top edge farthest in front and grind down 3" - 4" inches. Then, slowly move back and complete that pass. Then, move forward and start another pass (if needed) beginning at the top edge farthest away...

I've ground white oak, red oak, hickory, black locust, and who knows what else, in addition to slate and limestone rock to get them down below mower height. It isn't fast by any means, but I've already saved enough on equipment rental costs to offset the price that I paid for mine used. (I travelled over to NY to get it, and my forks, from the guy on here who did the PT-429.)

I've found that grinding soft, rotting stumps can be more challenging than fresh-cut hardwood stumps. It will tend to snag more, or create vertical splinters that just bend out of the way of the teeth -- not counting the tendency to pull off chunks and throw them long distances...

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #22  
What is the proper blade rotation on the stump grinder for a 422?

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #23  
What is the proper blade rotation on the stump grinder for a 422?

"proper" as in the way it came from the manufacturer (spins to eject the chips straight at the operator), or "proper" as in how most people adapt it for use (reverse the hydraulic attachment so it ejects chips away from the operator).

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #24  
My thoughts on the rotation is this.

If the bottom of the blade is turning toward you, you should be cutting on the backside of the stump, so as to throw the chips forward. That also means that you are cutting from the bottom to the top

If the bottom of the blade is tuning away from you, you should be cutting from the front of the stump, so as to through the chips forward.

As it comes from the factory, you should be cutting on the back side according to Terry.

My stump grinder is not reversible as it was classified as a stump grinder/trencher,

I was told to grind on the backside of the stump..

In order to trench, I drive in reverse, which is the direction of throw.

I just watched the Shaver skidsteer stump grinder video and it is cutting from the front and from the bottom to up and throwing chips forward.

If you cut on the front of the stump as it comes from the factory, the stump grinder will throw the chips at you.

I have a rubber flap on the back to keep that to a minimum.

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #25  
So how badly does the tractor get beat up on those stumps. Been watching this topic since it started. Surely some of that grinding has to reverberate back into the tractor. What items take the abuse? Thanks

/ Are PT 425 Owners happy with the PT Stump Grinder?? #26  
I haven't used mine a whole lot but the biggest thing that happens to the tractor is the chips coming back.........so I worry mostly about a hose getting nicked........no one ever told me about using it on the backside of the stump but that makes sense.....thanks JJ......I don't really feel any vibrations on the tractor. The ground up here is all rocks and shale so I never tried it as a trencher as I don't think it would be able to do much and would probably just chew the teeth up.........did try it one winter on the ice as I was getting desperate.....and it did work fine.......but took forever and I quickly realized that it would be summer before I finished the drive........Jack