Tractor Sizing Are SCUT really Tractors

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #31  
My K2500 Yukon is licensed as a truck and I'd dare say a darned sight better at security in the cargo area than your F250 or 350.

It's just different tools for different jobs.

My Cushman Truckster only has an 18 hp Kohler motor but can haul 2500# around my farm and dump it hydraulically. That's not to say that I'd take it over a Kawasaki Mule 4X4. I'm not sure that they even offer a hydro dump bed.

I shopped for years for a tractor for the grounds here. Actually almost bought a BX24 Kubota. I just have a problem with debt. Not to mention the cost of the unit with both attachments.
The (Gray Market) Zennoh w/FEL I purchased is only 2 cylinder but develops more hp than the BX at the pto and is $15K cheaper. I paid cash for the Zennoh and never looked back.

A ZTR will out cut any mid-mount tractor mower and probably PTO mounted at well. The difference in quality of cut is astonishing and we're not even going to get into operator comfort.

In short, whatever your specific need might be, I'm quite sure that you can find a specific tool for that need.

Is it a tractor by definition? Sure! About the same as some guys will tell you that real trucks have glow plugs instead of spark plugs.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #32  
If it can kill you... It's a real tractor.

mark

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #33  
I think they are tractors because they have the power to do dirt work and the size to get into smaller places. A lawn tractor can occasionally have a 3 point hitch but doesnt have the true power and torque to do the jobs that real tractors can accomplish. One thing that i wonder is what category would my tractors be in? would they be SCUTs or CUTs? The pictures are of my Yanmar next two different SCUTS.

Attachments

• 1-27-10 015.jpg
    1-27-10 015.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 1-9-10 045.jpg
    1-9-10 045.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 131
   / Are SCUT really Tractors #34  
This question was brought up in another thread but I wanted to get everyones take regardless of what brand or size tractor you own. The question of the day is; Is a sub-compact tractory just a glorified lawn mower or is it truly a tractor? My take and experience says it is that they are true tractors-just smaller in size-like a mini me.

IMHO.. if it has an engine and trans ( not v belt coupled :) )and pto and hyd pump setup, with hyd lift.. then it's a scut. even an 18hp 2wd jinma economy job would be preferable to a 25hp 'craftsman' lawn mower.

soundguy

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #35  
IMO....a real tractor comprises or is capable of many of these traits:

* Rear PTO with spline drive
* 3 Point hitch with cat 1 or better
* Drawbar capable
* Hydraulic system to operate lift and cylinders
* Large Tires that grip (prefer ag-tire capable)
* Loader capable
* Ability to have wheel weights
* Diff lock
* adequate clearance for traversing rough terrain
* rugged construction for use on rough terrain
* the appearance of a compact tractor

If your SCUT has most of the above....then it might be a "real" tractor.

Now....I have a JD 425 with a hydraulic loader and a 3 point hitch and a hydraulic system, diff lock, wheel weights, and 20 hp engine. It could have a PTO...but this one doesn't. And its pretty rugged....but I don't consider it to be a SCUT....IT'S A LAWN AND GARDEN TRACTOR. It just don't LOOK like a SCUT. Maybe its the tires? :laughing:

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #36  
ooops....I was going to post a pic.....

Attachments

• Lake Land Tractor 065.jpg
    Lake Land Tractor 065.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 200
   / Are SCUT really Tractors #37  
I'd haveto get picky on diffy lock.

many 'real' tractors didn't have diffy lock.. but did have steering brakes.

soundguy

IMO....a real tractor comprises or is capable of many of these traits:

* Rear PTO with spline drive
* 3 Point hitch with cat 1 or better
* Drawbar capable
* Hydraulic system to operate lift and cylinders
* Large Tires that grip (prefer ag-tire capable)
* Loader capable
* Ability to have wheel weights
* Diff lock
* adequate clearance for traversing rough terrain
* rugged construction for use on rough terrain
* the appearance of a compact tractor

If your SCUT has most of the above....then it might be a "real" tractor.

Now....I have a JD 425 with a hydraulic loader and a 3 point hitch and a hydraulic system, diff lock, wheel weights, and 20 hp engine. It could have a PTO...but this one doesn't. And its pretty rugged....but I don't consider it to be a SCUT....IT'S A LAWN AND GARDEN TRACTOR. It just don't LOOK like a SCUT. Maybe its the tires? :laughing:

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #38  
3.Something that pulls or draws.
I'd say #3 covers most compacts (including subCUTs).
It even covers the lowest model of lawn tractor since they can pull a garden or dump cart.

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #39  
Are 10-year-olds human beings? A 10-year-old is certainly smaller than the typical adult. But they share all the same basic parts and perform all of the same basic functions.

Adults, due to their size, can certainly lift more, carry more, break ground faster, and push larger lawnmowers around. But a child can do all the same things - simply on a smaller scale.

So yes, IMHO, SCUT=tractor.

Lost

/ Are SCUT really Tractors #40  
Nobody has answered yet where you draw the line between CUT and SCUT.

Heck, what is the requirements / definition for either?

So it goes:

- lawn tractor
- scut
- cut
- ??

I'm just trying to get the categories straight to put it in perspective. Previous posters hit it on the head. If it is gear driven, has hydraulics and a PTO it is much more like a "tractor" than a lawn mower.