Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm?

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #21  
I'm new so please don't put much weight in my opinion but I've noticed that most of the guys that *really* swear by their cabs are from colder climates. It leads me to believe that the benefit of heat is a bigger deal than the A/C or dust protection.

My problem with a cab is that I don't have a structure to store anything that tall.
No, A/C would be real nice. When you get the tractor, build a taller structure :)

One of the reasons I built my own cab was the door height of the shed. Having a warm place in the winter is a biggie for me. Sure is nice to be able to spend as long as I want clearing snow in a flannel shirt. My cab is sectional and not too difficult to get off and on. I removed it for the first summer, but left it on this year. I did lift the doors off and installed a 2 speed "bus driver" fan. Having the roof and tinted glass the cab was more comfortable than riding in the sun. Had skin cancer twice, so getting burnt isn't something on my to do list.
If I could figure out an easy way to attach an equipped cab w/ heat, a/c, radio, sound proofing to my M4700 for low $$ I'd get one in a heartbeat. But I only paid $11.5K for the tractor and a $4K cab would be gilding the lily. Plus it would be a hassle in the woods. My son already bent my canopy,
ForumRunner_20131017_080018.png
notice upper left corner, and when I removed it the tractor fit's in my low garage door w/ less than 2" to spare.

But I'll be doing a LOT of driving in the woods and I can't imagine driving with a cab. So I'd want something that popped on or off in a few minutes.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #22  
I do read a lot more posts concerning cabbed tractors now then I did 10 years or so ago when I joined TBN.
Can't say I see more cabbed machines around here or at either local Deere dealer...my estimate (for the dealers) is about an 80/20 (open station/cab) ratio.
Since I only look at medium sized CUTs (Deere 3000 series or bigger) and full sized utility tractors, those are what I'm basing my observations on.
My machine is open station...works best for me, even when clearing snow with the blower.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #23  
A cab would be great in this Fl. heat and sun, but the work I do with mine it would not be practical in the hot months almost all of them. I plan my jobs early or late in the day

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #24  
local dealer in Hagerstown told me ALL new compacts they will be getting will have cabs....order one without if I wanted one though. Son has cab tractor...extremely nice but not good in the woods.......

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #25  
local dealer in Hagerstown told me ALL new compacts they will be getting will have cabs....order one without if I wanted one though. Son has cab tractor...extremely nice but not good in the woods.......

The woods would be my problem too. I have walking trails that I bush hog and it's pretty common that I have to lift an extending branch over my head as I pass under it.

That could be fixed with a pole saw and hours of work for a cab, but not sure I would like the end result.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #26  
I use my cabbed tractor in the woods a lot and would much rather damage the cab than injure myself. That's why they have insurance! I have a "chainsaw on a stick" that I use to remove any low hanging branches and have never damaged anything.

If you check the height of cabbed versus ROPS tractors there is very little difference in height. Width with mirrors is still narrower than the wheelbase. If you trimmed the vegetation not to hit a ROPS tractor a cabbed version would also be unscathed.

Dust, rain, snow and sun on the dash, seat, controls and electrical can accelerate wear of the operators station and components. Keeping these areas clean and out of the elements lowers maintenance times and costs.

Not sure how an open station would be better for blowing snow for anybody. My neighbor is so bundled up with coveralls and multiple layers complete with snowmobile helmet it's not funny. Visibility, hearing and range of motion are much less than with light clothes in a cab. Not to mention the blowing snow.

I don't think buying a cab is getting "soft". Warm in the winter, cool in the summer, free from dust and biting/stinging insects, less fatigue and protecting our investment from the elements is just a wise buying decision IMHO.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #27  
Also agree with Dave & George. In cold climes, it is really the wind that gets you - it not only makes you colder quicker, but it swirls snow (from snowblowers) back into your face! Talk about cold!

But I can also see the guys who do field work getting dust & sunburn. So it depends (as always) on one's tractor usage. For those that snowblow a lot, and those that do field work a lot, a cab, being available now, is more than a luxury these days.

P.S. - as for me, living in north clime with lots of snow & wind, a cab is a must! I am buying one soon. I need it removable for summer for my woods work - low branches - and mowing - clothesline posts, etc. Am going with Original Tractor Cab.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #28  
Hmmmm. People do spend plenty to bundle up and ride open snowmobiles or ski all day long and call it "fun." :D

I think it depends a lot on how much time a person uses their tractor in bad weather--hot or cold--and whether or not that is mostly optional as with hobby uses, or something that has to be done regardless.

Since we are both retired, I can always wait for the worst of a storm to be over before clearing snow. Summer work is the same; if it's too hot in the afternoon then I find something else to do.

I have a plow for my truck, so I could clear snow in a heated cab if I had too. I prefer the open tractor, it's just easier to maneuver, plus the snowblower. I haven't had the plow on the truck for the past two winters.

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #29  
When I bought my tractor, I bought as much tractor as I had saved up to pay cash for it. 12 years later, I'm thinking that my next tractor is going to have to have a cab. I find that it's so hot in the summer that I'll put off mowing until I have a late evening to be out there after dark and mow till midnight. I've also grown tired of the bugs. Then in the winter when it's freezing out, I wont go out and do anything because it's just too cold and I can easily talk myself into waiting until spring to do it, when in all reality, I should be doing stuff all winter long so I can do other things in the spring.

I'm still two years away from buying. I want to pay off my truck first.

Eddie

/ Are tractors with cabs becoming the norm? #30  
I envy you retired guys! :irked: I've got a few years to go yet.