Are you violating the law?

/ Are you violating the law? #11  
RickB, mate... simply put, the proposed legislation then would be demanding that all of the OEMs give up their patents on software & control systems that they've developed. That's how I'm reading it, anyway. Patents have a lifespan so, eventually they'll expire and be cheaply available like the older vehicle diagnostic codes.

And, you are quite correct that Deere was referenced... only Deere... in every one/version of this story that has appeared. It's targeting by inference. Not one other large (HP wise) agricultural OEM was or has been referenced.

Look, I don't 'have a dog in the fight'. The only "computer" in my tractor is the digital 'Hour' display. :laughing: And I think that a lot of us have known the frustration of having a rig 'down in the field' for whatever reason... it's production time lost. What I'm saying is that there's another side to the story/situation.

/ Are you violating the law? #12  
if the deere manufacture would just have a program built into their computers that would self diagnose and display fault codes that the owner could see like a scanner would that is all the owner would need. like chrysler and turn the key 3 times to access the fault codes

/ Are you violating the law? #13  
....Any other big tractor manufacturers happen to actually be from the US?

<sounds of crickets> <<a tumbleweed rolls by>>

Yet no one has asked the 'foreign manufacturers' to release their programming.

:thumbsup:

/ Are you violating the law? #14  
What a poorly written article.

I agree, it also appears that "mich" in the article is maybe a dolt...and shouldn't be allowed to work on an 8235r if he can't pull up the codes on a machine like that, it's a very capable tractor in that regard. All of these articles seem to mention the same thing, the ability to look at codes...which can already be done. This is really about trying to allow non-trained ind the ability to re-program not trouble shoot. I am leaning towards the mfg side as I think about who may be working on my daughters new car with a fancy self braking system...I don't want an untrained ind to work on it.

/ Are you violating the law? #15  
We can buy a code reader or stop by an auto parts store and have our vehicles scanned for codes, for example, a check engine light might indicate a bad O2 sensor. You can then buy a new sensor and install it if you wish. Our government standardize many OBDII codes just for this purpose. That is what the farmers are asking for, the ability to perform simple diagnostics and maintenance. Deere is claiming they don't want anyone but them scanning for fears of someone hacking and modifying their software, a ridiculous argument that has a different context than what the farmers are asking for.

Ignorance is bliss. If you only had a clue about fixing some of this stuff.

Does the guy who specializes in fixing tractors tell you how to grow corn?

I didn't think so.

Regards, Fred

/ Are you violating the law? #17  
Ok, you can get the diagnostic tools for a John Deere tractor. A reader that allows you to check, and clear codes, plus monitor the same stuff that shows on your gauges is on ebay for around 650$. It's listed as a gauge. Not sure if it comes with the wiring harness or if you have to buy that separately. Part number is RE555553.

You can also go through John Deere university. Take the two online courses, and register for the one day class to learn how to use the software correctly. Pay the licensing fees, and buy the module that connects from your tractor to the lap top.

I happen to have both to manage my fleet of equipment. The software is clunky, and unless you have gone through the school, you can get yourself in trouble pretty quick with some expensive repairs. Lap Top gets used maybe once or twice a year if I swap out something that needs to be calibrated, or requires new payloads to be installed. Or cleaning an egr valve.

A list of the codes, and the reader are my most used tools for working on these motors. The codes tell me where or what to look for, and the reader is used to clear the stored codes after the repair, to cut down on nuisance service calls at 2am.

/ Are you violating the law? #18  
RickB, mate... simply put, the proposed legislation then would be demanding that all of the OEMs give up their patents on software & control systems that they've developed. That's how I'm reading it, anyway. Patents have a lifespan so, eventually they'll expire and be cheaply available like the older vehicle diagnostic codes.

And, you are quite correct that Deere was referenced... only Deere... in every one/version of this story that has appeared. It's targeting by inference. Not one other large (HP wise) agricultural OEM was or has been referenced.

Look, I don't 'have a dog in the fight'. The only "computer" in my tractor is the digital 'Hour' display. :laughing: And I think that a lot of us have known the frustration of having a rig 'down in the field' for whatever reason... it's production time lost. What I'm saying is that there's another side to the story/situation.

I'm not advocating a position. Just trying to straighten out a misinformed poster. Doesn't matter who the spin doctors are targeting. What does the proposed legislation say? Does it target Deere? I bet not.

/ Are you violating the law? #19  
whose programming would be stolen and applied to other makes of tractors/implements.

I didn't read the article, but just because someone can read code with a code reader doesn't mean they can read the program to steal it. If someone wanted to steal the actual program, the odds are, they would pull the eprom off the ECM and read the program with an Eprom reader. If that's not how it's setup, oh well, but if there's a will there's a way to steal the code.

Personally, I don't think there will be enough of a market for someone to try and steal Deere's programming to offer changes to sell. GPS is pretty simple, so I doubt other companies would want to steal any code either, since they could just have someone write code for them. It's not rocket science to write software for a tractor.

I think the only real reason for Deere not wanting anyone to be able to read diagnostic codes or get sensor info is to allow themselves and their dealer network make a good profit by locking owners into their dealer network.

/ Are you violating the law? #20  
Tell you what , crabjoe. Why don't you wander over to your Kioti dealership and see if they'll give you (purchase or otherwise) their diagnostic stuff.

Today I suppose that general GPS is fairly common for driving/sailing/walking applications. Precision GPS for agriculture requires DGPS for accuracy in rowcrop planting and harvesting.