Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #13  
I really only use a MIG for Aluminum for production. Small jobs are almost always easier with the much more versatile TIG.

With a TIG, you can sit there adding heat without material until the part is where it needs to be. Being new to welding aluminum and starting with a MIG, seems like the best way to avoid aluminum altogether, after the first few attempts.

It gets even worse if you need to repair thin aluminum. Not a lot of MIG users could do this.

View attachment 808123

There are tricks for some Aluminum thin welds

I welded Aluminum foil together with my LOTOS "DC" TIG.
Not even supposed to work but put 2 sheets in a Vice turn the TIG amps to minimum and move quickly down the sandwiched edge and it melded together with no holes.

Once it is out of the vice and flattened out appears to be edge welded.

Props on welding two aluminum cans together
I was able to do it but did not come out near as clean as yours did.

If I was the OP and will be doing Aluminum MIG just have to break out the wallet .

Kind of wish I had bought larger than a 80 CFM Argon tank. Argon is not like CO2 as far as how long a tank lasts...

Last edited:
   / Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #14  
Another gas tank option for welding aluminum is Helium. It gives a better appearance to the weld than Argon, but you have to use more of it because the gas tends to float away.
David from jax

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #15  
Get the argon tank works great on a mig using a spool of silicon bronze. Could use that with your spool gun or loaded in the mig machine. You can “weld” dissimilar metals with ease, stainless, etc. All I’ve been using for sheet metal these days. Isn’t true ‘welding” but the tensile strength is there for all but heavy welds. Do a little research on silicon bronze and see for yourself.

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #16  
I held out on tanks all together until I found a reasonable deal, ended up on an auction and got two big 75/25 tanks (the ones that are 5' tall) and two argon tanks (one tall one and one next size down) for about $125 a piece (bought in two lots). One of the argon bottles was full, one empty, sold one of the 75/25 tanks to a coworker and kept the other and the one I kept was full...

So, if hold out you can eventually find a reasonable deal, got bigger tanks than I needed for half price of new...

I haven't tried out my spool gun yet, or tried steel TIG yet but the time is coming... maybe this weekend depending on other things...

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #17  
I'm getting set up to be able to weld aluminum. I have a Hobart 210 MVP and recently scored a deal on an SpoolRunner 100 gun. I know that I need to use Argon 100% for aluminum instead of the 75/25 Argon/CO2 I use with steel MIG.

Question is: Is there another way to get a small supply of argon other than buying a cylinder from my local welding supply place? They want $225 to buy a 40cf (almost the smallest tank). Even the tiny 20cf is $140.

I probably will be doing very little aluminum welding and I'm hoping to get into it cheaper than that. If this is the only reasonable way I guess I'll suck it up and lay out the cash, but looking for alternatives here first.

Thanks.
You have to pay to play, it's as simple as that.

Don't take up expensive hobbies. Sell the equipment if you can't afford the toys. First world problem.

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #18  
You have to pay to play, it's as simple as that.

Don't take up expensive hobbies. Sell the equipment if you can't afford the toys. First world problem.
So if you can't afford or don't want to afford to pay the gouged maximum price, just sell your stuff? What a weird thing to say to someone. I just bought a OEM fuel selector valve for my 7.3 Powerstroke. One site had them for $350 another had them for $230 for the same Ford OEM valve. Should I sell my truck now because I bought the $230 valve?

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #19  
Question is: Is there another way to get a small supply of argon other than buying a cylinder from my local welding supply place? They want $225 to buy a 40cf (almost the smallest tank). Even the tiny 20cf is $140.

Is there no one in your area that rents tanks out, or do they all have to be owner tanks?

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #20  
Is there no one in your area that rents tanks out, or do they all have to be owner tanks?
For someone who only does occasional aluminum welding, renting or leasing the bottle can end up being expensive. For someone who wants to give aluminum welding a try, it makes even less sense. At least with the purchase of the bottle, the O/P has a chance to recoup some of his investment.
David from jax