Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #31  
Put an add on Craigs List for a used cylinder. All exchanged cylinders are used. Once you buy a new one it is used. My Supplier does not sell empty ones only filled ones and they come from the exchange pool, you never see the new one.

My retirement gig is to buy and sell used welding gear. Just sold some argon and mixed gas 125 CF filled ones for $250. That size is very popular. Argon that size is over $80 + 10% tax.

Back in my pipefitter days we used CO2 normally for steel and stainless steel shield and purge.

Ron

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #32  
I'm getting set up to be able to weld aluminum. I have a Hobart 210 MVP and recently scored a deal on an SpoolRunner 100 gun. I know that I need to use Argon 100% for aluminum instead of the 75/25 Argon/CO2 I use with steel MIG.

Question is: Is there another way to get a small supply of argon other than buying a cylinder from my local welding supply place? They want $225 to buy a 40cf (almost the smallest tank). Even the tiny 20cf is $140.

I probably will be doing very little aluminum welding and I'm hoping to get into it cheaper than that. If this is the only reasonable way I guess I'll suck it up and lay out the cash, but looking for alternatives here first.

Thanks.
Welding is not cheap , If you are not going to do much then why invest the money . Aluminum welding is tricky for most people, some people are naturals. You are going to waste material gas etc. learning . Have a pro do it for you and pay as go you when you need it . If you think your going to spend more or have lots of jobs then lay out some cash and put your learning cap on. I dont know what kind of flow you need for a spool gun but these small cylinders dont last long at all. I'm In Canada renting a mid size cylinder is about $75 a year and the ones you buy are a little more than you quoted . Have fun and good luck

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #33  
Search the sale sites for helium and nitrogen tanks too. They have the same valve (CGA). The last 2 tanks I picked up didn't contain argon. Then have them tested if needed and filled.

/ Argon gas supply for aluminum MIG #35  
I'm getting set up to be able to weld aluminum. I have a Hobart 210 MVP and recently scored a deal on an SpoolRunner 100 gun. I know that I need to use Argon 100% for aluminum instead of the 75/25 Argon/CO2 I use with steel MIG.

Question is: Is there another way to get a small supply of argon other than buying a cylinder from my local welding supply place? They want $225 to buy a 40cf (almost the smallest tank). Even the tiny 20cf is $140.

I probably will be doing very little aluminum welding and I'm hoping to get into it cheaper than that. If this is the only reasonable way I guess I'll suck it up and lay out the cash, but looking for alternatives here first.

Thanks.
Just rent a small tank.