Articulating Joint Bearings

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #1  

kdlklm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1830
I'm building a utility vehicle that will have articulating center joint for steering. The photos show what I have now, but I don't like the design for the front part that has the downward force on the side of the bearing. I don't think they're really designed to take the load from the side. Any suggestions what I could use that is fairly cost-efficient and is more designed for that type of load. They will probably be about 1000 pounds on the joint at all times.

I'm presently using a Standard 4 Bolt Piloted Flanges Bearing for the front of the joint. That is the right-hand side of the photo.

Attachments

• new articulating joint.jpg
    new articulating joint.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,491
  • new articulating joint underneath.jpg
    new articulating joint underneath.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,686
   / Articulating Joint Bearings #2  
You could use a pin and Bushing set up. A little more "primitive" than a bearing but the bigger the pin the more load you can put on it.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings
I could but I would like stay with a bearing system.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #4  
You need to box in the pin bracket. It will 'matchbox' if the joint gets a bending moment on it from single wheel impact loads. Yes this could 'impact' your steering/turn circle range, but that's the weakness I see...

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #5  
If I'm reading this correctly you are looking for a bearing that will tolerate axial thrust as well as radial thrust and probably more axial than radial. Tapered roller bearings come to mind and the front wheel bearings in older cars, pickup trucks and trailers seem to tolerate those loads well. Maybe you can determine a way to mount a wheel hub in that location.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings
If I'm reading this correctly you are looking for a bearing that will tolerate axial thrust as well as radial thrust and probably more axial than radial. Tapered roller bearings come to mind and the front wheel bearings in older cars, pickup trucks and trailers seem to tolerate those loads well. Maybe you can determine a way to mount a wheel hub in that location.

a wheel hub type system is definitely something I have thought about. And yes a tapered roller bearing might be my best option. And it should be fairly simple. Now just to find one that is designed to handle a sideload. Thanks

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #7  
   / Articulating Joint Bearings #8  

I was thinking tapered roller bearings too.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #9  
I just looked at my Steiner parts breakdown and it doesn't list it. It is a center articulating lawn tractor.
David from jax

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #10  
You could use a pin and Bushing set up. A little more "primitive" than a bearing but the bigger the pin the more load you can put on it.

Agreed! A pin & bushing is by far the better choice here. Bushings are an excellent support for heavy slow moving loads and have the advantage of conforming to the KISS principle...something which is not to be taken lightly.