Articulating Joint Bearings

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #12  
look into the front hub cassette off a newer (87 up) jeep wrangler or wagoneer/cherokee. these handle loads great! I was running (and wheeling) a stock front axle with locker and 36" rubber and never broke a bearing cassette (unit bearing) and used ones can be had cheap.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #13  
there is what is called an "Angular contact thrust ball bearings".

they do both thrust as well as regular loads,

in my experience they are not cheap, but do a wonderful job for that there made for, (I had a grinder with a single row of balls and it got installed back wards and did not last or work well, but when put in correctly the grinder works wonderfully),

I under stand the twin row type is all pre loaded and works either direction,

Angular contact thrust ball bearings for screw drives - SKF.com / Products / Interactive Engineering Catalogue/High-/super-precision bearings

Attachments

• 6002_p250_1.jpg
    6002_p250_1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 215
   / Articulating Joint Bearings #14  
Cat skidders used a beefy bearing in the ocillation joint of their machines from the 518 up lines. WHen they wear out its usually customary to burn out the plate and reinstall a new one. THe big thing with this bearing is it allows the drive shaft to pass through it to provide an inline shaft to the pinions. You could find a set of bearings out of a floating rearend out of a semi truck or large dump.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #15  
Agreed! A pin & bushing is by far the better choice here. Bushings are an excellent support for heavy slow moving loads and have the advantage of conforming to the KISS principle...something which is not to be taken lightly.

+1

Why don't equipment manufacturers use rolling element bearings in the joints of backhoes, FELs, etc? You want a bearing that will live in an environment where it never reaches sufficient speed to create the hydrodynamic wedge of lube that rolling element bearings need to survive.

-Jim

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #17  
+1

Why don't equipment manufacturers use rolling element bearings in the joints of backhoes, FELs, etc? You want a bearing that will live in an environment where it never reaches sufficient speed to create the hydrodynamic wedge of lube that rolling element bearings need to survive.

-Jim
That and there is not enough rotation to get the bearing to wear right, if the rollers don't make a complete revolution within their race they will wear and become oval. once that happens they get excessive play and wear out quickly. that is why U-joints in a driveshaft have to have some angularity to survive.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #18  
Timken bearings are non sealed bearings so you would need to add external $eal$. Nothing about timkens is cost effective. I agree with others that pin and bushing is the best way to go, with greasable pins.

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #19  
a bushing should last a long time,

the front axle of most farm tractors just have a bushing and maybe a thrush washer, and grease Zerk,

John Deere in there big 4 wheel drive tractors used bushings in there articulated hinges, and a grease zerk, to lubricate it,

My old 6600 JD combine on the rear Axel just has a bushing and a Zerk (yes I did replace the bushing when i first got it as the original owner apparent did not know what a Zerk was for, or how to use a grease gun, but I have had the machine for 30+ years, and it carries when full and additional 8000+ pounds when the bin is full plus the machine and that bushing on the rear Axel is doing just fine, I am reasonably sure your stress and loads will be less than the rear axle of that combine or of a big horse power 4 wheel drive articulated tractor,

and if you extend the points on the front hing, It would take a lot of the stress off the unit,

/ Articulating Joint Bearings #20  
I used cat 1 toplinks and cut them down as needed. I did this so it can have the jackshaft for the pulley drive system line up with the pivot centerline so the belt tension will stay consistent throughout the joint movement. My setup here allows for about 7" obstacles under opposite corner tires and the belts stay tight and don't throw off the pulleys.

Ventrac uses a system similar to this for its articulation and oscillation for both 3000 and 4000 series tractors.

You could do a similar setup which would spread out the forces exerted on the joint.

Attachments

• 2010-08-01-010.jpg
    2010-08-01-010.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,353
  • 2010-08-01-011.jpg
    2010-08-01-011.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 594
  • 2010-08-01-008.jpg
    2010-08-01-008.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,504
  • 2011-05-23-005.jpg
    2011-05-23-005.jpg