Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements

/ Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements #21  
Will heehaw, I see engineers standing and watchin the work being done, and even if it's wrong they don't say anything.
It's the inspector that has to say something, you don't have to have a degree to be and inspector,I could be one. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Most of the do it yourselfers we call them saturday morning specials, they will ask you for direction if they are not sure which end's up./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gifI always give them the best advise I can.

As for basements most of them around here are going to poured foundation. My dad says to this day that the basement, is just another place to store junk!!!! No reason to have one. He says.

Hope; mulkey, reading this were doing this all for you./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

What sealers to use, read the label, look for high in solids they are the best. Try calling your local concrete suppliers they should be very helpful!!!! Make sure you tell them where your using it. Outside use or inside use like basement floors you don't want the smelly stuff in your house.

Camshaft in Pa.

/ Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements #22  
<font color=blue>reason for more basements in the northern states was the depth they had to dig to get below the frost line</font color=blue>

I think you're right, heehaw. That's one of the reasons. My brothers said the area in which they built homes in Alaska required a minimum of 42" to get below the frost line. Of course, in my area, the frost line couldn't be more than a quarter inch down./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements #23  
i have to admit, i don't blame the engineers for not saying anything about the wire being on the ground; if your not the boss or the inspector, the concrete workers can get a little rude if you mention anything they prefer to not have mentioned...there were a probably 6 of us standing around watchin, varying amounts of knowledge, and we all knew the wire needed to be in the middle of the mix..
heehaw

/ Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements #24  
Of course ... one of the other reasons some of us like basements is that we think the proper place for a furnace, water heater, washer and dryer and stuff like that is down in the basement. The first time I discovered that my (now) wife had her furnace/air conditioning in the attic down in Texas, I was more than a little amazed.
Basements, for the uninitiated, are wonderfully cool places to keep those extra provisions you seem to accumulate when you shop at Costco or Sams ... as well as all the food you put up or preserve.
It's so much easier to prevent plumbing from freezing ... and so much easier to get at the plumbing, electrical, appliances, furnace, etc, etc ... than dealing with a crawlspace or having all those things sharing the living space with you.
When you have a full basement under your house, you effictively (almost) double the available floor space.
And after all that ... I had to give up basements and settle for a crawl space when I moved here ... sob, sob. Still investigating whether I can remedy this situation ... or, at least, build on an extension with a basement.
Oh ... one more thing they're good for ... much better place to "hide" when Tornados or such come a-callin'

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements #25  
I was always told that the reason there aren't any houses with basements here in Georgia was because of our heat and humidity. The mold and mildew is hard enough to control on the outside of the house, I can't imagine what it would be like in a basement. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements #26  
Wingnut, I agree wholeheartedly; never lived in a house with a basement, but my grandparents (and later my parents) did, and we have friends up north who have them. And of course, when I was doing that gas leakage survey in Pennsylvania, I was in a hundred or so different home basements there. Only reason I'm not living in a house with a basement is money./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Asphalt/Concrete Driveway Requirements #27  
The only thing I know about basements for sure is that I've never had one. In this part of Texas I have only seen a couple of houses that had them. I've been told this is due to low water tables. And I have seen some very shallow wells. Also one of the basements I saw was at a friends house back in the 60's. The house was built in 1919 of native sandstone rock. During the rainy season the basement was constantly flooded. During dry spells the baement was bone dry, and so were the shallow wells. In a place like New Orleans, that is below sea level, and people are buried above ground, I'll bet you would be hard pressed to find a basement in a house.

Ernie
"Thermopylae had its messenger of defeat; the Alamo has none." - graffito found on a wall of the Alamo, 1836