asv rc100

/ asv rc100 #31  
One more quick note about cutting head widths. If you are not cutting a path as wide as your tracks this could damage, them I have seen this first hand.It tears up the outside of the tracks. Robbie

/ asv rc100 #32  
Thanks Robbie..you are doing exactly what I want to be doing her in the north east...I am also looking at a few other attachments like a chipper and a stump grinder. I can't afford all at one time but that's the plan...a little of everything and one machine to run them. I will start a new post to get some feedback on the chipper and stump grinder attachments.

Thanks again!
Ted

/ asv rc100 #33  
I myself have thought about a stump grinder for my skid steer. Two points, there are good because the SR tractor has low ground pressure and all the h.p. of the tractor. But starting a thread for those would be good to see if anyone runs either. I have run my FIL's stump grinder and that sucked, not really the direction I wanted to go anyway. I would like to run a couple of mulchers in due time. Keep us posted. Robbie

/ asv rc100 #34  
Robbie,

I am the individual who intends to do a head to head comparison of the SR80 and RC100 with a Loftness Carbide Cutter. I haven't set a date yet, but it will be after Christmas. I might wait a little longer after speaking with a FECON representative who told me that he will try to get a FECON unit on site for the demo. The representative is convinced that I will prefer his unit over anything Loftness has to offer, but what product rep wouldn't say that. He claims that their rotor and tool holder design decreases HP need and improves total unit life. He did say that the SR80 is a fine machine, but the RC100 would be FECON's preference.

Thank you for the fuel economy information that you posted earlier. It is very helpful in my business planning. Thank you in general for keeping this discussion alive with real world experiences, it really is helpful to us looking at the business.

QwikDraw,

I will certainly post the results of my trial with some photographs if possible. Are you anywhere near Syracuse? That is where the trials are going to occur.

I am more excited about this than a 6 year old on Christmas Eve. No kidding...

Mark

/ asv rc100 #35  
Hey Mark, Thanks for reading and reminding it was you. If I would have gone back through the thread I would have seen that, I'm lazy!! I am looking forward to you running your demo's and reading your reports. Talk about making these salesman put there money where there mouths are, show up with a competitors head. That sounds fun. Man what an excellent way to really compare heads. Run one then the other and the other. Didn't your rep say he was trying to get a timberax also? I hope he can so you can compare. And to be completely honest I don't think customers will really notice the chips size we were talking about ealier. As long as the brush/trees are mulched up on the ground and they can see into there woods they will be happy. Your welcome on all the points mentioned. I just hope I can help ya'll make a go of it. I know I enjoy our business, I hope ya'll can too. I hope you noticed what I put in ealier about head width, I forgot to mention it ealier.

/ asv rc100 #36  
Robbie,

The cool thing is that the ASV dealer (Mabie Brothers) is also a Loftness and FECON dealer, so he wins all the way around.

I also spoke with a Tushogg rep this week. They made me an offer on their machine that was interesting. If either the dealer or I buys the machine, they will ship it to us at no cost. If we do not like it, just pay the return shipping and they will buy the machine back. Obviously they would prefer that one of us kept the machine, but that is another story. I really like the Tushogg design, but I have four concerns. First is the weight. Holy Cow, that thing weighs, 2880 lbs! Only the RC100 could handle it, but at what cost?? Increased undercarriage wear and so much for low ground pressure. Second is the fact that their is no dealer support network in Pennsylvania or New York. Where the heck would I get it fixed when it breaks? Third, I do not think that this design would do well on finer material (less than the diameter of the tooth). My concern is that wild grape vines or Mountain Floral Rose bushes might get caught on the teeth and wrap around the rotor body. Finally, I am not convinced that the resulting chip size would be acceptable. Now what it will do well is tackle the tough jobs like stump grinding and sub-grade grinding. Heck roto-till with the darn thing, it shouldn't care, but it would be tough on the power unit. So, I am not sure if I really want to drop $20+k for a test drive even with the buy-back option with this concerns I have about the design. I would rather spend the $800 (estimated return shipment cost) on airfare to Texas and test drive one down there.

Mark

/ asv rc100 #37  
Mark, That's wierd they are a dealer for both. It is good for you.
I have also seen the tushogg and it is abeast. I read a report and the guy commented if tore the ground up to much, So I think your on the right track. As far as the weight I would not recomend a head that heavy.I would consider my head at about 2500lbs to be the max,it really manipulates my tractor.If I'm mulching a hill/imbankment I have to only work uphill, if not the head will pull you down to the bottom anyway. It upsets the balance of the tractor and puts up on it's front wheels unloading the tracks and your control. You can really feel it when you pick the head up. I think it would have to have lingering affects down the road. I also like being able to take it to someone and having some kind of "factory" support. Robbie

/ asv rc100 #38  
Can you reasonably add balast to the RC100 to improve traction and control? I see the New Hollands have bolt on weight bars to hang suitcase weights. With the big backend that the RC100 has, I would think a little balast would go a long way. Just a thought. I hate the idea of a loss of control on a slope. Nothing good can come of that situation.

/ asv rc100 #39  
They do have 2" receivers and now that you mention it I have seen an older asv with a 800lbs counter weight on so I guess you could. 100's already have a counter weight also. I have considered a winch on a cradle to go into the receiver but am reluctant to put anything back there for it's so long already. And in my case I'm already killing my truck so weight on the tractor is weight on the truck. But definitly a viable option. I started to mention this ealier but didn't want to info overload you but have you seen fecon's line of tracked carriers. Talk about impressive. Robbie