At a loss with Craftsman.

/ At a loss with Craftsman.
So here's the latest.

Picked up a new battery this morning, and she fired right up.

Now, I have to mention, I tore out all the factory wiring and installed a push button switch for ignition. I believe I wired it correctly, and now that I check the output voltage, it's very low, 7.5 idle and 10.6 at full throttle. I ran 12 volts from the switch to the starter solenoid. I ran the ground wire from the coil to a toggle switch to kill the engine when I want to shut it down. I also ran the red charging wire to the battery.

Considering the machine was dying before for months with the factory wiring, I am guessing the charging system is on it's way out. I don't have a clue how to repair any of that stuff, or get the flywheel off, so it looks like it will have to go in the shop, or be boosted for the next 4 months and charge the battery every time we are finished with it.

/ At a loss with Craftsman. #22  
So here's the latest.

Picked up a new battery this morning, and she fired right up.

Now, I have to mention, I tore out all the factory wiring and installed a push button switch for ignition. I believe I wired it correctly, and now that I check the output voltage, it's very low, 7.5 idle and 10.6 at full throttle. I ran 12 volts from the switch to the starter solenoid. I ran the ground wire from the coil to a toggle switch to kill the engine when I want to shut it down. I also ran the red charging wire to the battery.

Considering the machine was dying before for months with the factory wiring, I am guessing the charging system is on it's way out. I don't have a clue how to repair any of that stuff, or get the flywheel off, so it looks like it will have to go in the shop, or be boosted for the next 4 months and charge the battery every time we are finished with it.

See my post above. It isn't really all that difficult. Honest. :)

/ At a loss with Craftsman. #23  
BP is right - its not a hard job, just tedious with all the shrouds and screws and then the flywheel. Yours is a bit different than BP - his has the OHV engine but for all intents its a similar electrical repair on the charging system.

Glad you got it resolved. BTW BP - my neighbor got a DYT4000 140 hrs bought for $600 I tuned it up adjusted valves, oil, deck adjustment, and new deck belt this spring - his is a 24HP twin OHV engine - runs like a top now.

Carl

I see your post BP, I did read it.

The issue is this machine isn't worth the money. It only has to last 4 more months and than it is being replaced.

Our plan is to use the machine for mowing, and than once we are done with it for the day, put it on the trickle charger to maintain the battery. This machine is 100% mechanical, no electric blade engagement, or anything like that, all the safety sensors are removed, and the headlights are gone as well, and it's a vacuum fuel pump. There is nothing to draw current once it is running, so I see no reason why we can't maintain the battery for 4 months with a trickle charger.

/ At a loss with Craftsman. #25  
Makes sense - I got a Shumacher trickle charger/battery maintainer @ walmart for $20. I have a real charger but I put this unit on my Kubota over the winter and then my cub cadet as well. I hooked up a to a plug in timer to trickle charge 2 hrs a day and it worked great. Havent had a battery issue since.

Makes sense - I got a Shumacher trickle charger/battery maintainer @ walmart for $20. I have a real charger but I put this unit on my Kubota over the winter and then my cub cadet as well. I hooked up a to a plug in timer to trickle charge 2 hrs a day and it worked great. Havent had a battery issue since.

How many amps is your trickle charger putting out?

The small one I am using right now puts out 1 amp. It has 2 lights on it, one is for "Power" and one for "Charge" Once it's charged than the charge light goes out until it needs more power. Like I said, this thing is on it's last season so it just have to survive 4 more months.

This is why I like my X748, alternators are easy to change compared to pulling off flywheels on these small gas engine machines.

/ At a loss with Craftsman. #27  
Its the Shumacher 1.5 Amp - it has an auto feature too but I found about 3 hours a day "on" with a mechanical timer was enough to keep the batteries fresh. I keep it on the kubota in the winter mostly and move it to the Cub and Ferris in March so they are charged and ready to go in the spring.

/ At a loss with Craftsman. #28  
I have trickle chargers for all my motorized equipment except for one. I found 2 old solar panels that put out 12 volts and 45 watts each and I hooked one straight to the battery on my old JD 332 diesel engine mower. Its been on it for 2 years and it starts everytime. The other solar panel is on a battery powering a Mighty Mule gate opener and it has been on the same battery for 3 years with direct hook up. NO overcharging and no need for expensive battery management systems.