At Home In The Woods

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,631  
   / At Home In The Woods #4,633  
Yep - Don't run full throttle in free air. You generally don't want to do that for more than a couple seconds if needed anyways (like warm up to get it stable for 3-4 seconds after cold start).

BTW chainsaws have 2 useful speeds. Idle and full throttle. The fact that you can use part throttle doesn't mean you should for much of anything. The fuel delivered provides both lubrication and cooling and part throttle can not deliver enough of those under certain circumstances. Oversimplification, sure, but if you generally stick to that rule, it is better for the saw.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,634  
I messed up the diaphragm is an older Poulan by running too fast for too long while doing carburetor adjustments.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,635  
Buy More chains!!!! It is easier to swap a chain (although every pro on the group will disagree with me on this) than it is to file on site. Then file them sharp when you get home. One hit of the tip in the dirt will dull that chain. I think I have 6 chains for my 14 and 4 for my 32.

I have at least 6 chains for each saw. I typically cut down dead post oak trees. The heartwood can sometimes be so hard I just push the whole tree over to the burnpile. If its not too hard, I can make firewood out of it.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,636  
I think they are refering to full throttle not under a load as in not cutting....

Correct! Your are also never to run at no load WOT or wide open throttle for more than 3 seconds. I think i remember reading that in my manual somewhere.

Also my manual also says if you dont use Stihl oil to mix at dbl ratio or 25:1. I do not follow this. I mix any oil i run (usually husky semi syn) at 40:1.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,637  
Why would anyone do that?

Obed

When your saw gets older or its really cold it wont want to warm up as easy as it does today. This is when the card gets old and a bit out of adjustment. To compensate folks run it WOT till it will run on own.

/ At Home In The Woods #4,638  
Yep - Don't run full throttle in free air. You generally don't want to do that for more than a couple seconds if needed anyways (like warm up to get it stable for 3-4 seconds after cold start).

BTW chainsaws have 2 useful speeds. Idle and full throttle. The fact that you can use part throttle doesn't mean you should for much of anything. The fuel delivered provides both lubrication and cooling and part throttle can not deliver enough of those under certain circumstances. Oversimplification, sure, but if you generally stick to that rule, it is better for the saw.
Correct

/ At Home In The Woods
#4,640  
Turkeys

24 turkeys showed up on our property yesterday while it snowed.

IMG_0074.JPG